• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beck's Lion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowpoke

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just finished copying JP Beck's "Lion Rifle" and I though everyone would like to see. It's an exact copy (the best he could do) of the original except the buyer asked him to engrave a few football scores on patchbox, trigger guard, butt plate. Anyway, I like it and thought you'd like to see.

footballscore1.jpg

footballscore2.jpg

footballscore4.jpg

I don't want to eat up webspace so if you want to see the other picture goto Horst & McCann they have the rest of them posted.

SP

Thanks for shareing this piece of art with us slowpoke... the man has great talent what a bueatiful piece.:master:

Woody

Very NICE! I do have to ask about the numbers on the patch box though. What or why is that?

WARNING: THIS POST MAY OR MAY NOT OFFEND YOU.... READ AT YOU OWN RISK.

He is either a big Tx Longhorn, Tx A&M, or TCU fan, I forget. He had the scores from "big" games put on the gun. It was a big deal to him being from Texas.... you know how crazy those guys are about their football and BBQ.
I don't care.... When my mighty South Carolina Gamecocks, lead by the brilliant Steve Spurrier, win the National Title, I'm going to spraypaint the score on the side of my house. Let the cheating begin.....

SP

PS. Another detail, the teeth of the lion of are elk antler.

Slowpoker,
:applause: :applause: :master: :master:

Buddy's As-s Hol-e!!!!
Super good work. Give him/you my congratulations!! You/He should be in the $5000 range soon!!!

Seems someone is being a bit deceptive here????

I can read SIGN, Pilgrim!!!,

Don't try to [bull shi-t] a Bullshitter!!

You/he are being too modest! Earl and Lester would be proud!!!!!!,not to say that a simple banjo picker could not do wire inlay, and whittle around a little bit!!!!
Regards, and Congrats,
Terry

Greeting Slowpoke 40 caliber,

As a 5th generation native Texan, I find it is necessary to correct your comment about Texans being crazy about football.

That idea and the other idea that football is King in Texas IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE!

Only a Non-Texan would think that. True Texans would never relegate football to a mere kingly status. Texans KNOW that football (at all levels) sits at the right hand of GOD.

Now that a false impression of football in Texas has been corrected, let me comment about the "LION Rifle".

That is one exceptionally fine piece of work. The owner should be justifiably proud of it. Work of that nature transcends "gun building" and becomes art on the same level as the Masters of sculptor

Best regards, John L. Hinnant

th_slijm.gif
John, that cracked me up.

Larry makes a beautiful rifle, but I can't actually belive that he made this rifle. Larry is an artist and he really hates to copy anything, he says it impeaches on his ability to create. Anyway the part he hated doing the most was carving the Lion, he didn't like the look of the original and felt he could carve a better one. But the buyer wanted it just as the original, so he copied it. The bad thing is, another guy saw this gun and wants him to make another copy. The jury is still out on whether he's going to do it, this one just about killed him. He doesn't like to copy anything.

SP

Greetings Slowpoke,

Glad you got a chuckle about the "proper status of Texas Football". You should visit the small towns of West Texas (where I was raised in the 1950's) during football season. If it is a home game, all the business's are closed BY 6:00 PM so everybody has time to get cleaned up and get to the game before 7:00 kick-off.

If it is an out of town game, the little town is deserted by 5:00 with the sidewalks neatly rolled up.

I certainly understand about an artist not liking to copy another's work. Once I asked a favorite stockmaker to copy another stockmakers work and was asked why not have stockmaker #2 do the work since there would not be any difference in price.

I told stockmaker #1 the reason was his work was better. We compromised on some details, and I was the recepitant of a fine piece of art work.

The men who produce work like the "Lion's Rifle" are Master Artist by any standard.

Best regards John L. Hinnant

:redface:
Poke,
Sorry for the misinformationinclusion. I thought it was yours fer shure!
I am Awed! :master: :master: :master:
Tell Larry hey!
Regards,
Terry

Slowpoke,
beautiful!!!! thanks for sharing.
snake-eyes :applause: :applause: :master:

It's just the opinion of a modest french gunmaker, but I think when a buyer want to have a football result on his gun, he do doing to the end and decorate the rifle like a ZZ TOP car !

Off course Slowpoke, I'm very impressionned by the quality your work.

Sans souci

Back