• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bedrolls, dyes and such

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the Fire;

Well, I just spent two days - two nights at a rendevous in the Hill Country. I managed to shoot the high score in the rifle (with a fowler) and my prize was a hunting frock.

I have two questions.

First - I discovered that my body doesn't like hard ground and rocks much - my first night was not restful - although I was neither cold nor damp. The 2nd night I was able to cut a bunch of cedar boughs to make a more comfortable bed under my canvas ground cloth - But, I still needed more padding - but that was about all the good green material available.

My question is what do you guys use for a primitive pad or bedding material if you can't gather it locally?

The Hunting frock I won is a linen material and I want to dye it using natural dyes - I kinda want to stay away for greens and browns - what natural dyes do you recommend? What different colors do you use? :thumbsup:

Thanks;

Dan'l

If I can't find enough bows or ferns or other veggy stuff for a cushion I just live with it. I can't recall much about natural dyes it has been a long time since I used any, may be Pichou will jump in, I think he has posted so good info on this on other forums.

TG - Hmmm - the Hill Country of Texas is pretty darned rocky - I picked up several pieces of flint to use for fire starting right on site.

Some parts of the country can be more painfull than others we always have ferns, moss and bows from evergreens, they are usually wet though.

Not much moss or ferns down in this country. We just came back from camping out in the desert in SE NM. The flat spots are covered with blue gramma bunch grass. Its about as bad as sleeping on rocks. My guess is that Keith should ignore Mark Baker and should consider carrying more than one blanket.

Sean

BTW nice shooting Keith, you are going to embarras
those rifle guys utill they will change the locks on the gate, again nice shooting, looks like you found a gun that fits well and things have come together rather nicely, keep it going, and don't worry if one day you miss a bunch I found this happens ( to me a least) more so with smoothbores than rifles. enjoy the journey...it is SMOOTH....

Hmmm - Don't believe I know anybody named Mark Baker - is he from around Texas? :wink:

If you are not packing it in and not overly critical about being PC although in some parts of the country they could be, sheep skins are comfy to lay on.

Keith. You can always use your trusty knife to fluff up the dirt under your bed roll,Simple... :wink:

No, I Haven't forgotten you Keith..

Twice.

The first night I laid out my bedroll - canvas ground cloth - a double folded 4 point witney on top of that - and covered my body with a 3 1/2 pt witney - I used my tent bag with my extra clothes - that had been previously rolled up in my bedroll for a pillow - figured I would be alright - until my hip on the side I was sleeping (trying too) went numb and I shifted to my other side until that hip went numb (did I mention there was perhaps 2-4" of topsoil over limestone and flint rocks) and then I laid on my back until my lower back started aching.

The next day - I cut a bunch of cedar (ash juniper) boughs off of the only nearby tree that hadn't been pushed over by a bulldozer - and put about 8" deep - I was able to sleep much better that night but - still ached a bit getting up :(

Just don't remember it being terrible uncomfortable to sleep on the ground in WA/ID/MT course that was 20 yrs ago and I was in my 20s. :shocked2:

Ahhhh, you just weren't tired enough Keith.. :rotf:

Too bad you couldn't bring one of these along... :grin:

DSCF0130-1.jpg

CanadaTankaGenerator039.jpg

Twice.

Nice looking teardrop there Twice! I want to build one of those one of these days.

Keith, I would have to agree about the sheepskins as long as you keep them dry. They can be pricey too. You only need one long enough to go from your shoulders to your knees. The best thing for hard ground is a thermarest. Not PC, but after 2 back surgeries I don't care!

Warren :v

Nice looking teardrop there Twice! I want to build one of those one of these days.
Building it has been labor of love,not done yet...
Hope you get to build yours.
Thanks,
Twice.

Up here (IA, MN, WI) we use natural vegitation - which we usually have plenty of. In the upper parts of MN and WI you can get a "browse" permit. This allows you to cut/collect branches from pine trees while on state owned land. (Just like the people making their own Christmas wreathes) 2 feet of those branches piled up makes a pretty comfy "matress", and provides a lot of insulation from the FROZE ground. But a couple armfulls of long grass goes a long ways to "soften" the ground.

And loosening up the ground/dirt also helps. Kind of like sleeping on sand. And it makes it easier to form little depressions for your hips and shoulders. That reduces the pressure on those areas. Hip and shoulder holes really do help.

A few of the guys I know have also gone to carrying along one of those thick foam modern camping pads - rolled up in the bedrolls. They are under an inch thick, but that little layer helps a lot with insulation and to ... soften ... the ground a bit.

When not hiking/carrying everything in, I will throw in a couple extra old quilts. These I fold up and use as a "matress". It ... helps. But I also sleep on a pretty firm bed at home.

Just a few humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Digging a hip hole helps - Desert Rat convinced me of that. Also raking/chopping up the dirt a little helps.

Dan'l,
I used Texas walnut hulls to dye my frock and pants.Came out a light tan because I didn't leave them in there that long. Info was from a book I got at a 'vous. Navajo Native Dyes Their Preparation And Use is it's name.
What color you wanting :confused: I could send you the directions :thumbsup:
Greg Lohn

I wish I had not sold my teardrop! Are you building on a Harbor Freight trailer?

Well glad to see I am not the only one considering the teardrop!!! When I get my camera back to school I'll show what we are buiding to Kansas to ease the pain and suffering of old bones on the ground !

Back