• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beginning to lose my interest...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand what you say Roundball. After hunting many years I still get excited to go but not like when I was younger. When I was young i couldnt sleep the night before opening morning for nothing. Also after taking many deer its not the kill that drives me anymore, its more the whole experience for me now. The preparation at the range, the scouting the setting up of my bows the load testing I like it all almost as much as the hunt itself.

Going back to more traditional style muzzleloaders has also made this a much more rewarding experience also. Long ago the harvest was point of it all for me before but now how I do it is as important. I know as I get older I don't have many years left to hunt deer. I'm also not nearly as excited as I used to be because of what hunting partners I do have cant go near as often as they would like and I spend a lot of hunting time alone. And while Ive hunted alone alot some of greatest hunting memories are with hunting partners. My son never was interested in hunting he liked to fish instead. But I'm looking forward to taking my son in-law for his first deer hunt this season.

In a way Roundball Im like you in the fact that I really enjoy the target range more now. Before It was just part of preparation to hunt. When I was younger every gun i had was for hunting. But now i just plain enjoy shooting more.

I've never lost interest in hunting. But I have lost interest in killing. It's too easy now. That's why I bring my ML to regular firearm season.

When I first started hunting I would shoot the first deer I had a chance to kill, and as many as I legally could.

Last year I let 23 deer walk by on opening day without firing a shot. Lost count of how many over the whole season. And took home 4 empty tags. Just didn't see the one I was after and still had meat in the freezer.

Freezer is empty this year and I have 4 tags again. I think I'll try to shoot the first good doe I can. Then I'll keep hunting just in case that once-in-a-lifetime monster buck is out there. If he comes by I'll shoot him, if he doesn't I'll enjoy my woods time anyway.

Have you ever tried traditional bowhunting?

Roundball,

Thanks for starting this thread. I've enjoyed reading the posts from different people. As for me, at 52 I confess that I'm not quite as fired up about deer hunting as I used to be. This may be because of the low success ratio for hunting in the general areas here. Dunno. If I could get drawn for a ML hunt I think I would jump into it with both feet. GW

It has been intresting to read each persons take on their hunting past and present. At 50 I can relate to most. I once read that there are three phases of a hunter. 1st you are gunho eager to go and quick to kill. 2nd you look forward to going with family and freinds and if you take an animal it is icing on the cake. 3rd you are just happy to be able to go. Think I have been in that 2nd stage for some time. Last year was special because two freinds took deer the first one in 16 years for one freind and the other he and his son(his first) taken on the same day. It was just nice to help them out and to share the hunt with them. Brought back old memories.

Dear Freind- What you are feeling is normal.... Although age might be a factor, just simply changing into another mind set is the more likely cause (and that does come with age). For myself, hunting was always something I did w/ my father.... When he passed away some 15 years ago I lost interest in it.... I tried hunting w/ others and alone, but it seemed hollow to me. It's very important to understand... I was taught never to kill unless it was an issue of survival and/or you intend to use all the kill.... NEVER just for sport.... amd all of the sudden, that's what it felt like.

I have however, continued to shoot skeet, target practice w/ pistol and bow.... and most of all, found the hobby of reenacting (Colonial American period 1750-1780) and have involved the whole family in that last one (wife, my 7 year old son... even the dog sometimes). Although I have thought about taking my son on a hunt the desire personally is still not there and he doesn't seem interested either... So, we continue to simply go to events, camp, burn some powder, throw some hawks and be happy with what we have and each other's company.

The bottom line is that people (for whatever reasons) sometime evolve and change... and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Pay no mind to the others here who will put you down for it. Someday they might have a change of heart as well.

sounds to me like your just {board-bored)? try traditonal archery ,long bow ...you mastered the smoothbore whats next? samething happened to me and my daughter started shooting bows and wanted me to shoot with her ,now she is planning the hunt

I must say I have lost some of the drive I once had. At 71 I find it hard to do what I did just a couple of years ago. It's not the killing that draws me to the forest it's just being there to enjoy mother nature and all of her splendor. Finding the game and letting them continue on their mission is lots of fun as well. The adrenalin rush is still there and that is often all I need to feel satisfied.
Thanks Roundball for starting this very interesting post.
The best to all whatever your choice this season.
Dusty

For me, hunting is about " being there".

I enjoy every part of the hunt, except the waiting. I have learned how to occupy my mind, eyes, and ears, while Waiting, over the years, so I can even look forward to that.

I enjoy scouting before the hunt, as I read tracks and sign to locate the deer, feeding areas, what they are feeding on this week, their bedding areas, where they travel, where they play( does play with their fawns, and older daughters right up to the rut) and how they change their movement when fields they were frequenting are harvested.

I too stopped enjoying the kill after my first deer, and lost interest in hunting wild boar after my first one was so badly handled by the preserve owner that it stunk all the way home, even frozen! But, like climbing back on a horse that throws you, I went boar hunting again more than 10 years later, and it was okay, again. I made that second hunt over New Years, when it was cold even in Tennessee, rather than over Labor Day, as was the first hunt. I work very hard now to make an accurate shot that delivers a quick kill, and I am more willing to pass up " iffy " shots now. I take as much pleasure from hunting as I did all those years ago, however.

My pleasure may differ from Roundballs because I do COOK and eat what I kill, and I get the pleasure of enjoying the memories of the hunt all over again every time I sit down to eat part of the game. I also get to share wild game with people who don't shoot or hunt, and have never eaten wild game before. When they admit the meat is " really good" or "really tender", I can smile, and take added satisfaction.

It takes about 3 days now for my hearing to improve out in the woods, when I hunt. But, as it improves, I hear things I have not heard for months and years. Just forcing myself to shut down from " people time", to mother nature's clock, makes the effort of hunting worthwhile to me. I have watched spiders work down the tree trunk next to my hunt during a sunny after noon when the day began below freezing, wondering where the heck that spider was keeping himself warm over nite. I have sat still enough to have small birds land on limbs inches from my face. I have had squirrels walk up and over my boots. And I have had other hunters walk right past me, close enough to touch, who didn't see me. I have learned to walk so quietly that I have walked passed other hunters, within 6 feet of their heads, and they have not heard or seen me.

Most of all, I have had people ask me If " I got anything " at the end of a day's hunt, and when I tell them, " No!", they are disappointed, and offer their sympathy. That, when I am excited for all the things I did see and " get " other than the game I was hunting. That is when I realize how much more important " Being There " is to hunting, than just bagging game.

I still remember the snowy December Morning, when I went Pheasant hunting with a good friend. I arrived at his home in the dark, and we were parking our cars at the field before first light. As we got out of our cars, there were about a dozen pheasants, many cocks( legal to shoot in another half hour) within feet of our front bumpers. They wandered off, away from our cars, and then flew off across the field as the dawn broke. We tracked on huge old cock across the snow, and through the woods on the other side. A river was on the South side of the woods, and the drainage district had been clearing the trees from the banks of the river, and left a huge pile of logs, and branches to dry, and eventually to be burned in the Spring on the banks of the river. The pheasant we had been tracking flew up and over that pile, leaving a beautiful, and delicate imprint of his wings in the snow where he lifted off. The snow was new, and fluffy, so it captured every detail of those feathers, and the movement of the wing in a rolling motion. You had to to look at the impression from a number of angles to the rising sun to get the full picture.

We hunted the rest of the day- about 10 hours, with the temperature dropping that afternoon- and only raised up hens, which are not legal to shoot. I went home cold, tired, and happy. If you want to see something as beautiful as the feathers of a pheasant taking off in fresh snow, you can't be asleep in that warm bed at home. You have to " Be There ". By the time you get out of the bed, the sun will have risen high enough to start burning away the edges of those impressions, and the winds will have picked up and blown snow into them, destroying all but the roughest of outlines of those wings and tail.

Roundball, much obliged for starting this thread. It has taken away that nagging feeling of being a "lone ranger" because the keen edge of enthusiasm about hunting has started to lose its sharpness.

I still enjoy our Pennsylvania flintlock season each year after Christmas, but I enjoy it now mainly because my hunts take place with my son and grandson. I don't go on my own much simply because the rocky side hills of the Blue Mountain seem to offer more opportunities each season to turn an ankle or worse.

I have a recently completed .36 cal. waiting for our October squirrel season, and that has stirred some enthusiasm, but I'm really anxious to finish up my 24 gauge fowler in the next week or so. I've never owned or shot one, and you diehard smoothbore fellows have helped me push myself to complete it in time for our early muzzleloader season.

Again, I've thoroughly enjoyed everyone's comments above, and certainly share the thoughts and feelings of those re-evaluating the factors pushing them to continue their hunting traditions. I'm there as well.

Have a safe and enjoyable season afield. :thumbsup:

Folks always ask me after a hunting or fishing trip if I "Had any luck?"

I always say, "Yep, I was lucky enough to go!"

I knows where your coming from rball.
It comes in waves for me. Sometimes when I blank I feel disapointed and then feel pressured to succeed as soon as possible and then I buck the pressure and just accept how good it was to just be there but generally the killing is losing it's appeal.
On vacation soon and usually carry the trapper 94 for a deer a couple of mornings, not sure whether to bother this time :shocked2:

Britsmoothy.

I'm not sure it is age related, it maybe a combination of things. Or maybe it's in the genes...I come from a hunting oriented family. Have an uncle thats 75 and joins my father whos 68 every year for a month of hunting up in the Adirondacks. Of course they have slowed down some and no longer hike the mountains, preferring to hunt closer to the cabin now and they're not to concerned with tagging a deer anymore either but they still hunt. This past spring we just lost a good friend from Vermont who joined them to cancer. He was in his 70's and still would hike the mountains to hunt. That man would pick out a guided hunt somewhere every year to go on. I have another uncle thats 62 and he'd rather bow hunt than anything else. He's a Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young Scorer and always busy off somewhere measuring heads of all kinds inbetween hunts.

I agree that we seem to go though stages in hunting and fishing. They vary from person to person, but I imagine we all go through them. Age probably has some to do with it because of health or physical issues maybe, the need for the meat changes too, but I think more because we mature as hunters and the desire or need to kill changes. Sooner or later it just isn't that important to harvest game anymore, it's more about the total experience and I think most start to feel this fairly early on and it just keeps getting stronger with time until we no longer hunt.

Perhaps as we move closer to our own mortality, we are more reluctant to take life. I'm only 31, but I had a sense of remorse after my last kill. It was only a raccoon, but I mulled over it for a few days. Perhaps it's out of respect. Animals live the hard life and really do earn their place on this planet. The animal won't be wasted and will probably make a great stew...but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the little bugger.
Yeah, this is indeed an intereting thread. Anyone else out there feel a bit of remorse after harvesting an animal?

SH-h-h-h! You are letting out secrets that only hunters know about! :grin:

Yeah, I tell my hunter safety students it OK to cry over the animal you kill, or feel remorse. Its one way to understand the value of all life, and it will motivate you NOT to waste the game, by mishandling it, or not eating it.( Or giving it to someone you know will eat it.)

The fathers in my classes all get a big grin, and are happy that I raised the subject for their kids, rather than leaving it for them to tell their kids, and dealing with kids feeling bad at a kill site. I have had more comments from the experienced Hunter/parents on this issue than anything else I teach their children, and almost always I receive a " Thank you" from them.

Its OK to feel remorse when you kill. And its okay to say a prayer for the dead animal, thanking the Lord for the blessing of its meat. I want the kids to know that no one is going to laugh at them, because we all have those same feelings. :wink:

That information can help new hunters relax, and enjoy the experience when they might otherwise not be willing to go hunting.

It's hard to explain how you can be both very happy and sad at the same time. :grin: :(

A summary of the common themes across all the posts, in no particular order:

Age related health / strength issues
Age related loss of hunting companions / loss of that hunting fellowship
The learning-to-hunt years create very satisfying rewarding feelings
When the learning curve flattens out, the degree of satisfaction tends to flatten out
Hunting experience makes hunting easier, less challenge, less satisfaction
Repetitious activity can result in boredom / been there-done that
Becoming more conscious of the continued volume of acts of killing
Enjoy just shooting more than just killing
Reduced amount of land available to hunt on
Reduced game on land that is available to hunt on

Good summary of what's been said.

I take my example from my granddad. New Mexico's turkey season was only a week long, and he loved to turkey hunt. And most surprising of all, he usually took me along when I was just a little shaver. We saw turkeys every day, but he kept passing them up trying to find the "right" one. I never could see the difference, but he always managed to find just the right one on the last day of the season.

Over 50 years later I've killed more deer than I can count. For many of those years the limit was either 5 or 7 per person with the season running August 1 through January. With kids at home we needed 8 to 12 a year depending on size.

Now the kids aren't home plus my wife and I eat more fish than red meat. We only need one. The special muzzleloader season runs Nov 1 through Nov 14. I spend all of August, September and October looking for the right deer. Two years ago I did pretty good, finally finding the right deer on November 12. Last year I did even better, finding it on November 13.

If I'm real good this year, I'll find it on Nov 14. Just as I'm running out of shooting light.

I gotta say that I remember all the details of the single deer I shoot each year now, but I can barely remember the details of any of the hundreds I shot before.

I love hunting, but the killing is the smallest part of it all.

Good thread roundball! I sort of get this guilty feeling about not getting so excited about hunting anymore. I still by my license, and I only hunt with flintlocks, I guess a freezer full of healthier meat has the most draw now. I never could understand how people could spend thousands of dollars on far away hunting trips just to bag a animal that is almost guaranteed. To each his own, no intent on starting a argument. I hunt the state gamelands now and I don't get that bummed out feeling when I don't shoot my gun, but I do get a kick from the looks I get from other hunters when I am dressed primative and hunting with my 60caliber Christian Springs flintlock during the modern hunting season :)

paulvallandigham said:
SH-h-h-h! You are letting out secrets that only hunters know about! :grin:

Yeah, I tell my hunter safety students it OK to cry over the animal you kill, or feel remorse. Its one way to understand the value of all life, and it will motivate you NOT to waste the game, by mishandling it, or not eating it.( Or giving it to someone you know will eat it.)

The fathers in my classes all get a big grin, and are happy that I raised the subject for their kids, rather than leaving it for them to tell their kids, and dealing with kids feeling bad at a kill site. I have had more comments from the experienced Hunter/parents on this issue than anything else I teach their children, and almost always I receive a " Thank you" from them.

Its OK to feel remorse when you kill. And its okay to say a prayer for the dead animal, thanking the Lord for the blessing of its meat. I want the kids to know that no one is going to laugh at them, because we all have those same feelings. :wink:

That information can help new hunters relax, and enjoy the experience when they might otherwise not be willing to go hunting.

Bravo Paul!

Back