• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bess project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker2

54 Cal.
Reaction score
The local gun shop got a Pedersoli brown Bess in trade yesterday, they want $325 for it. Is that a OK price for it?

The lock is marked Grice in 1762.
The date code is AF, 1980 I think. Stock is dinged up like it had been hit with a good size rock in a few places, little splinters of wood missing, nothing that can’t fixed/filled? Stock looks like it has been refinished, a bit to much sanding and a oil finish, I don’t know what they look like new as far as finish goes. :idunno:

Bore looks good, lock needs to be cleaned up, doesn’t spark well with the flint that is in it. Gun is a little beat up. Touch hole a bit large maybe.

I don’t know Bess models but it looks like the Second Model Brown Bess in Dixie’s catalog.

Should I pass on this or add it to my list of projects?

As always, your opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Tinker2 :)

A new Pedersoli Bess runs aboput a GRAND. That would be a good buy. even if it needs some "work" Heck, now days people are ordering newly built guns that have been "antiqued" (beat up) Offer them $250, they want the cash more than the gun sitting on the shelf.

I think you have more than enough ability to re-
store the Bess...You just have to figure if you
are willing to pay the price for that opportunity
and maybe they will come down in price...ask.

As long as the lock and barrel are in good shape it's a bargain. The stock is stout and as long as there aren't any breaks in the wood it should be good. Don't worry about the large touchhole. The touchhole in my Pedersoli Bess is almost 1/8". It goes off whenever I pull the trigger.

Many Klatch

Well... I did it. :)
I did buy it, it cost me $325 + tax, it was just to good a deal to pass up. :)

I am not sure if I was hoping that you would talk me into it or not. :idunno:

Anyhow this is what I got. :)
Bess1.jpg

Bess2.jpg

Bess3.jpg

This is some of the damage I made note to. :(

Bess4.jpg

I will post this last picture in the bulider forum and see what kind of ideas they have for fixing that. :)

Thanks for convincing me to get it.

As always, your opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Tinker2
From the Dakota Territory

I think it's great....

I managed to get a 2nd Model that was a wall hanger a few weeks ago ~ pretty sad condition.

It's most likely about 40 years old. Spent alot of time refurbishing it...broke it down into it's various parts and then did the refinish. Prolly have too much time into it, but am happy with the results...

Bess007.jpg

That ding in the wood. a wet cloth and a hot iron will go a long way toward reducing the compressed wood fibers.

Back