• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BEST POWDER CHOICE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I am kind of new to shooting black powder and am going to start purchasing some cans of black powder but which ones are better that the other?

I am planing on shooting 3f in a .50 flint and have some from Goex but would like more info as to what to buy in bluk and what not to.

What is your favorite?

And why.

Thanks

I use Goex.
Never had a problem.
It's very consistent with reasonably little fouling.

HD

Blackfoot said:
Ok I am kind of new to shooting black powder and am going to start purchasing some cans of black powder but which ones are better that the other?

I am planing on shooting 3f in a .50 flint and have some from Goex but would like more info as to what to buy in bluk and what not to.

What is your favorite?
And why.
Thanks

Goex is a well know, well established, American made black powder with the best price / performance ratio I'm aware of.

Price: Very reasonable, especially the case price of $10.25/lb delivered to your door;

Performance: It's very fast, clean, and accurate;

As roundball said - Goex is American made and that is the primary determiner for me. There are others out there that are pretty nice, use a more highly refined charcoal and are to a degree cleaning burning but, I have not found them worth the increased price (i.e. Swiss is 60% more) or worth paying for yet another off-shore product regardless of price. Goex does have a "Swiss" calibre powder called Express. I have not shot it and as of yet have not been able to find anyone with some in stock.

It's kinda like Gasoline... you have your premium, mid-grade, and regular. All three will power your "car" and get you to where you're going. Some burn a little cleaner than other and some are a little more powerful. That being said, just remember never use diesel (Pyrodex) :rotf:

Just buy/use Goex. It consistent, cheap, and obtainable.

GOEX is the best value. Swiss gives better velocity and is a lilttle cleaner but costs a lot more. Elephant gives lower velocity and leaves a nasty residue. You won't go wrong with GOEX.

I agree with all of the above members. You will not go wrong with Goex. Accept no substitutes!

I also use Goex and find it very available and inexpensive. I did get stuck one time out of town and bought some Hodgodn Pyrodex RS and found it to be excellent also. I know some guys that use that a lot and swear by it saying it is cleaner to use I personally never really noticed that much of a difference and the Goex is much more inexpensive

I used Pyrodex for quite a while. Wasn't really satisfied with it...lots of hangfires or sometimes no-fires. To fix that problem I bought one of those ##lines. Problem fixed...I didn't use my caplock for four deer seasons. I decided to sell the caplock, but figured I'd just try the 25-year old can of Goex 2F I got from my dad. WOW! No hangfires, even without popping a cap between shots, and great accuracy. Then I tried a fresh can of Goex 3F...DOUBLE WOW! No hangfires, accurate and it tastes great. I'm keeping the caplock, have it dialed in for PRB's and I won't use anything except Goex 3F, anymore. Great stuff. :thumbsup:

I never had any problems with Pyrodex..but I never saw any benefits with it and it is way more money...My lovely bride says it smells better...?!

the shutzen German is excelent and the Swiss is the best. No offence I love American made stuff, but Goex is no where near the best.
If you buy it, buy a few cans, i understand the lot to lot variation is quite large.
I have shot both, started with Goex and was talked into the Shutzen by a supplier that was happy to sell both and a competive shooter.
what are they using at the national matches to win??

Thanks [/quote]

Goex is a well know, well established, American made black powder with the best price
[/quote]

Funny, I was told by Dupont that all American black powder production was stopped in the 1960s, and everything is imported. Made to American specs, but not made here.

Ive always used Goex, dont care where it was made.

BTW the Dupont Powder factory was about 30 miles from where I live now.

Johnny Tremain said:
Funny, I was told by Dupont that all American black powder production was stopped in the 1960s, and everything is imported. Made to American specs, but not made here.
Don't know anything about that...but the current Goex plant is in Dayline, LA.

oldarmy said:
the shutzen German is excelent and the Swiss is the best. No offence I love American made stuff, but Goex is no where near the best.
If you buy it, buy a few cans, i understand the lot to lot variation is quite large.
I have shot both, started with Goex and was talked into the Shutzen by a supplier that was happy to sell both and a competive shooter.

Goex now has their Express Powder that I hear ranks up there with Swiss. I haven't heard any real reports on it yet.

I have shot Goex from a few different lots and found no variation in the powder.

I think they make a very consistent, reliable product.

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
oldarmy said:

Goex now has their Express Powder that I hear ranks up there with Swiss. I haven't heard any real reports on it yet.

I have shot Goex from a few different lots and found no variation in the powder.

I think they make a very consistent, reliable product.

HD
That's also been my experience...Goex appears to have excellent quality control from lot to lot at least for the half dozen lots I've used over the past 4-5 years...they've all been the same as far as I could tell...never skipped a beat when moving from one lot to the next one, same rifles, etc...

Little Moe said:
I used Pyrodex for quite a while. Wasn't really satisfied with it...lots of hangfires or sometimes no-fires.
I too went the Pyrodex route, also used other black powder substitutes. Got tired of hang fire, and inconsistant velocitys. You could say I've gone full circle. Started muzzleloading with Goex, and had to learn the hard, (and expensive) way with the subs. Now it's only Goex, FFG, and FFFG, depending on what I'm shooting. Great Stuff!

Landngroove said:
Little Moe said:
I used Pyrodex for quite a while. Wasn't really satisfied with it...lots of hangfires or sometimes no-fires.
I too went the Pyrodex route, also used other black powder substitutes. Got tired of hang fire, and inconsistant velocitys. You could say I've gone full circle. Started muzzleloading with Goex, and had to learn the hard, (and expensive) way with the subs. Now it's only Goex, FFG, and FFFG, depending on what I'm shooting. Great Stuff!

May I ask what makes you choose FFG over FFFG (or vice versa)? I shoot percussions in .50 and .54. Should I be using 3F? So far, I've only used 2F Pyrodex. Not experienced enough to talk about inconsistency yet, but I have had a couple of misfires and a few long hangfires. I chalked it up to my loading process and maybe not having a clear nipple.

Latest posts

Back