• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big game cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howdydoit

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What would be the most practical big game caliber? Im looking to build an early lancaster. And im wondering what cal would be best for any north americal game? I thought about a 62 but can only find a barrel in smoothboor. Any Ideas would be helpful. Thanx :thumbsup:

Corps of Discovery used 54 cal. They found it to be a little light for angry Griz, though.

Everybody I know uses a .50 or .54 here in Colorado. I personally like a .50 cal. The game regulations here in Colorado state .45 for deer and .50 or larger for elk.

Regards
Wounded Knee

Im looking for bigger game. Elk, Brown Bear. Moose Caribou. Im leaning towards a .58 but if I could find a rifled .62 I think thad be better

Rice Barrel Company makes an excellent .62 caliber rifled barrel in swamped octigan that would be ideal for your project. They are sold by Jim Chambers at[url] www.flintlocks.com[/url] :v Also available are .58, .54, .50, .45, .40, and .32
Rice makes a number of swamped contures and barrels from 31 to 44 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if I want a swamped barrel. Other than saving weight what is the point? And how hard would it be to conture the stock.

Latest posts

Back