• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BIG IMPROVEMENT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used steel wool wrapped around a snug oiled patch and ran it through the barrel 25 strokes, then a oiled patch to clean and repeated the process with clean patches and fresh steel wool a couple more time and the JB bore cleaner followed by JB bore Brite and then gave the barrel a good hot water and dawn liquid cleaning followed by a wet ballistol patch. Went to the range this morning used alcohol patch and dry patch before loading. Reduced the load from 65 to 50 grains 2F Goex, over powder wad, .015 ox-yoke patch, changed round ball, .445 to .440 and this is the result. These were the tightest groups I ever got from this gun. Last target on the right is from the last outing with the blown-out patches. Thanks to all for taking the time for the advice. By the way, I was adjusting the sight so that's why it looks like the groups were climbing.

Attachments

• DSC00293.JPG
    DSC00293.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC00299.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00301.JPG
    DSC00301.JPG
  • DSC00303.JPG
    DSC00303.JPG
  • DSC00275 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00275 - Copy.JPG
Last edited:
I do feel good about the way this rifle is shooting now. My problem was, I got impatient. I figured a little smaller patch and the next bigger ball, and more powder problem solved! I thought I was doing a good job cleaning the barrel until I dropped a AAA battery down the bore and shinned a light downed the barrel. About 2/3 down the barrel, it was bad. The first load and shot were easy but When I loaded the second shot, everything seemed to be ok until I reached that spot and it got hard to get the patch and ball on the powder. That must have been what was causing the patches to tear? It even felt like there was a little catch in that spot. The snug patch steel wool and JB bore with a few hours of running a ram rod in and out and cleaning in between made a big difference. I'm a lot more aware of what it takes to keep it clean and shooting accurately like it should. In that third group of 3 I put the second shot in the first shot hole, I was happy, only time I put shots in the same hole was with my scoped ... can't wait to get the 50 cal. Lyman and see how it shoots.

Back