• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Butter as a Lube to prevent rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gettysburg63

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering using bore butter in a barrel of muzzleloaders a good way to prevent rust. Also how often I check barrel?

Do a search and you will find a world of discussions on this. :)

My personal experience was that the marketed bore butters/wonder lubes do not do an adequate job of preventing rust! Others will chime in with their varying methods of preventing bore rust during storage.

Gettysburg63 said:
Was wondering using bore butter in a barrel of muzzleloaders a good way to prevent rust.
Nope.

As far as checking, that's just a developed habit. It's a good idea to check bores within 24hrs after cleaning until you become comfortable with your cleaning and lube routine.
My "checking" depends on the season and the guns use. During summer shooting season and fall hunting they get checked at least weekly because I'm using them.
After season is over and I have given the gun the storage treatment it might be once a month. I usually dig'm all out and work'm over at least once during the winter.
Oil, clean patch and rods with jags, clean rags are next to my locker. If someone comes over and we handle a gun, it gets wiped down.

I'm not saying I'd recommend bore butter, but I have to report that I used to use TC Borebutter exclusively in my earlier years of muzzleloading and never had any rust form in my barrels. In fact, and I'm not proud to say it, my wife's gun did not get shot for close to two years and I had not done anything with it other than the bore butter coating that was put in the day it was put away and when I suddenly woke up :redface: one day and realized I'd better re-clean and lube it, there was NO, ZERO, ZILCH rust or anything in the barrel other than the bore butter coating. Now....I do keep all my guns in a gun safe with a small dehumidifier, so perhaps that has more to do with it than what I "lube" it with.

I am currently using BC Barricade and it works fine and is less messy than bore butter to use.

I've used Birchwood Casey's Barricade since way back when it was called Sheath.

A thorough cleaning with hot soapy water, rinse with hot water, then spraydown with WD-40 to displace moisture. Last step is to swab the bore with Barricade. I've used it for over 30 years and never a bit of corrosion.

Gettysburg63 said:
Was wondering using bore butter in a barrel of muzzleloaders a good way to prevent rust.

No better than Crisco, so long as it keeps the oxygen and water off. Lots out there that are better. I live in a wet climate and could develop light rust after a month with Bore Butter, so I checked every week.

Then I wised up and switched to either Barricade or Eezox. I check every 6 months, and still haven't found any rust.

AZbpBurner said:
I've used Birchwood Casey's Barricade since way back when it was called Sheath.

A thorough cleaning with hot soapy water, rinse with hot water, then spraydown with WD-40 to displace moisture. Last step is to swab the bore with Barricade. I've used it for over 30 years and never a bit of corrosion.

Ditto, but I use 91% alcohol wipe down instead of the WD-40.

I wipe with Barricade again the day after a cleaning just for insurance.

IF your bore is clean and dry and you use bore butter you will be ok. However you would be a whole lot better off cleaning the bore, drying the bore and then use an oil rag to coat the inside of the bore with a light oil. A good proper cleaning and the use of oil will prevent any rust. Make sure you clean the nipple/hammer areas too.

NO!

There are any number of good products for this purpose. Bore butter is only good for sealing revolver cylinders and maybe as a patch lube if it is all you have in your shooting box.

I will use it as a patch lube but not as a rust block. PB Blaster works as well as any other I have tried. It has a additional benefit of keeping screws and nipples from rusting. They come out with no problem. Geo. T.

I've tried bore butter thinking it might be as good as lard or an oil like barricade or 3 in one.It aint.Will use it as a lube or to cap off a revolver,tant found it any good as a protectrant

Never used it as a bore protectant but I did try dipping some minie balls in it; it worked well as a lube. But I didn't shoot up all the bullets and didn't get back to the range for a couple of months. In that time, the Bore Butter had dried out and was flaking off the bullets. I'd have to believe that it'd do the same thing inside a barrel.

Gettysburg63 said:
Was wondering using bore butter in a barrel of muzzleloaders a good way to prevent rust. Also how often I check barrel?

I used it for years without any rust issues. That said, I don't use it anymore, preferring to use bear grease as it is PC/HC.

Used NL1000 for 10-12 years in several TC and GM barrels, no problem...understanding that just using a simple "store bought T/C NL1000 patch" did not carry enough lube to plaster the bore 100% to insulate them from any moist air.

Constantly shooting my MLs year round I did finally reach the point where I tired of the amount of time I spent applying it to ensure 100% coverage, then later wiping it all out, getting it out of the patent breech, etc...and switched to WD40...much faster and simpler for me, and no problems with using WD40 now for almost 8-10 years. After switching to long guns an selling off my T/C Hawkens that had been cased / untouched for 2-3 years, their bores still looked like mirrors.

So to answer the question, yes, just be sure it's really plastered in there because it doesn't migrate around on it's own like a thinner lube, ie: WD40.
If a bore is 100% clean, 100% dry, then kept 100% coated / insulated from the air, it can't rust.

Latest posts

Back