• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken ram rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a T C with a broken ram rod all way to the breech, I have in the past made a grease fitting adapter and pushed out stuck balls with a grease gun, I am thinking about putting a small charge of 4f where the nipple goes and fire it, any of you ever did this?

There's more than a few of us who have fired an entire ramrod, so it could work for a broken ramrod. How long has the broken ramrod been in that rifle? Did the ramrod break during cleaning or is there a load under the ramrod? The CO2 option or the grease gun has to be my choice if you don't know what is specifically at the breech.

I bought a T C with a broken ram rod all way to the breech, I have in the past made a grease fitting adapter and pushed out stuck balls with a grease gun, I am thinking about putting a small charge of 4f where the nipple goes and fire it, any of you ever did this?
Ramrods don’t just end up ‘broken all the way to the breech’, whatever that means. What does the individual that sold you the gun in this condition have to say about the issue?

Any idea of what may be under the broken ram rod? A blackpowder load? A smokeless load? Think before you just add some 4F and fire it, hoping for the best.

I would feel best using compressed air or grease, but maybe I’m just too careful with guns I own. That said, have at it with the 4F and report back. You have eight fingers, two thumbs and two eyes. What could possibly go wrong that you couldn’t recover from?

Last edited:
I’d be very cautious, only from the standpoint of is there a load in it and what is the load. Many don’t take these guns seriously. A potential load of smokeless is something I wouldn’t risk shooting off. Broken ramrod yeah, no worries as long as I knew 100% that’s all that was in the bore. My buddy thought red dot would work in his friends 1851 navy since they didn’t have any BP. It worked so well that it blew the cylinder apart upon firing, blew the grips apart, never found the hammer. Luckily this idiot was ok after lots of stitches.

First off I have enough common sense not to hold the gun while firing, second I have taken a rod and measured where it is broken and there's no way a load is there because of the measurement, third how could it get stuck pushing a ball down, fourth I used a bore scope to confirm it is a broken ram rod, already tried air , the pawn shop I bought it from has no history on it.

First off I have enough common sense not to hold the gun while firing, second I have taken a rod and measured where it is broken and there's no way a load is there because of the measurement, third how could it get stuck pushing a ball down, fourth I used a bore scope to confirm it is a broken ram rod, already tried air , the pawn shop I bought it from has no history on it.

If you already know all this why are you asking 🤔

The 4Fg dribble should work just fine. Make sure your replacement ram rod tip is pinned in place.

Well the reason I was asking is I am not sure I can get enough powder in the nipple hole to fire it out , but as soon as I get aa nipple from TOW we go a find out 😀

Well the reason I was asking is I am not sure I can get enough powder in the nipple hole to fire it out , but as soon as I get aa nipple from TOW we go a find out 😀

I’ve trickled a small enough amount of 4F under the nipple that could push a dry ball out about 10-15 ft. Pretty impressive that a little amount can have that sort of result.

Thanks Blackeagle good to hear it worked for you, have a nipple on the way , hope it works for mine, if not I'm going to make a drill with collars so it doesn't hit the barrel, to keep it in center , know it will be a lot of work , but don't want to damage barrel

Back