• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build A Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul---Thank you for the attempt but I went to that website and they do not have any barrels at all, so that can't be the Davis barrels he was referring to. They have no stocks, too.

Although I do like the other stuff they do have at re davis company. Nice locks and side plates. But no barrels or stocks.

Zoar, they do carry some barrels by Getz and Colerain, they are listed under "Accessories" here:
http://www.redaviscompany.com/accessories.html

However, the barrel you are looking at, and Longsmoke will correct me if I am wrong, appears to be a custom made product - not a standard barrel. I would bet you are looking at having one custom made if you want one like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Va, I'm not sure where he got it, one of the Davis's I think. The customer ordered it and brought it to me. Seems at the time I saw it on the web site though. Just can't remember what site. I do know he got the stock at the same place. Straight walnut and if you got with in 10 feet of it and said the word "chisel" splinters would fly off of it, very dry wood.

I also think they where selling out at the time. The question is witch Davis sold, R E or Vernon C?

Bruce Everhart

Although I could be wrong the lock should be the easy part. Finding a barrel and a stock are the challenges. I did find standard Blunderbuss Barrels at stonewallcreekoutfitters.com... They are 20 inches long and they make them standard from 10 gauge down to 4 gauge. But in all honesty I kinda wanted a shorter Blunderbuss barrel than the 20 inches. So, I continue to look for barrels. Bruce and others have sagely recommended that I start with the barrel, then go from there. If I cannot find a shorter barrel than 20 inches it looks like I may go with the 4 bore from stonewallcreekoutfitters... the trick then is finding a stock wide enough for that barrel!

Oh this is fun!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock? Check with Pecatonica, and Dunlap for a blank. As to barrel length, I think your ears will thank you for the 20 inch barrel, rather than anything shorter. For what it is worth, I have a shotgun barrel that is 20 inches long, and another that is 22 inches long. Both are short enough, thank you.

I think Vern had a bunch of those barrels and he sold them when he went out of business. It's possible that Ed Rayl would make one up in your choice of length and bore.

Stonewall Creek still lists it. Go to their barrel section and click on WE Rayle, then scroll to the bottom. Here's what they list:
Available in 12, 10, and 4 ga.
Steel or Brass with a fitted, flared breech plug. .
20" long and muzzle dia. is 1.975 in. Breech is 1.250 in. for 12 and 10 ga. and 1.50 in. for 4 ga.
Available in Steel at $215.00
or Brass at call for pricing

Quantities are limited

Yes I am aware of the listing on Stonewalls' website. Yet as I posted above I kinda wanted a shorter than 20 inch barrel for my blunderbuss. It is an aethetic thingy. I have shotguns and double rifles with 18, 20, 22 and 23 inch barrels and I like the shorter barrels, and the idea of a short Blunderbuss really captured my intrigue. Loyalist makes them in 14 and 16 inch and I would go that route except they are "only" 10 gauge and they emailed a reply to me which said they do NOT recommend shooting roundball in theirs; (just birdshot) and that lead me away from the Loyalist Blunderbuss options.

Also because it info differs slightly from what stonewallcreek posts on their site, here is what they emailed to me a couple of days ago: "hello ______ thank you for your request but the only way I order them is in 20in I only offer them in 4,6 10 ga these are the best sellers I have them on order right now if you would like one I can put you on a barrel list and call you when they come in if it is anything else I can help you with let me know thanks troy."

So Brownbear in addition to what you posted above they ALSO have 6 gauge!!!

Paul, I understand what you say about the 20 inch being less assaulting to the ears. And I am on the fence about just going with the 20 inch 4 bore from Stonewallcreek, but I'm leaning toward just looking for a couple more days for a shorter thean 20 inch Blunderbuss 4 bore barrel.

Zoar: I shot a friend's 8 gauge single barrel shotgun, with a 36 inch barrel, and I was very glad the barrel was that long. He loaded it with 6 drams of powder, and 3 oz of shot to " surprise me " .

Paul---

Nice friend ya got there! :haha:

I was never been a fan of big recoil... But over the past 2 years I have been shooting a 50-90 double rifle handloaded with 535 grain Woodleigh bullets over 76 grains of ReLoder15 and several black powder guns up to 54 cal flintlock loaded up to 100 grains 3F, as well as big heavy 12 gauge slugs (.730 diameter) out of a 18 to 23 inch barrels and I have not had recoil issues. So much seems to be stock design and weight of the gun. The worst kicker was a little 20 gauge double shotgun that whacked hard and sharp... Man, I did not enjoy that surprise at all. In fact I would characterize it as "punishment"...

I have to believe a big fat heavy 4 bore barrel is going to have the needed weight, and the black powder is going to deliver more of a stern shove than a really hard, sharp whack. And again I am not intending to load this 4 bore up to Elephant loads. I will not be anywhere near 300 grains of powder... I PRIMARILY want to push out a massive big round ball to make big holes in paper to entertain children and old men, alike.

Boy I think a handful 50cal. round balls shot at a pile of watermellon would probably even be entertaining to R.Lee Ermey. odis

watermelon PIE. That's what that be called! :thumbsup:

Yes, indeed, a handful of 50 cal round balls would also be most entertaining for children and old folks.

I shot a grapefruit with my .50 rifle- just one ball- to demonstrate the power of a ML rifle to a large group of Boy Scouts, and managed to hit dead center. The Grapefruit " starburst" leaving no piece larger than 1/2 x 1 1/4" long. A single .50 cal. RB blows a huge hole out the backside of a watermelon. Several RBs will completely explode the watermelon, if you center the pattern.

I think a better demonstration , that leaves far less mess to deal with, would be gal. plastic jugs filled with water. If you want to get really exciting, fill a gal. jug with kerosene, and then put one of those exploding targets taped to the front of the jug. Hopefully, one of the balls will hit the target, and the explosion will set off a huge fireball and blast. Warning: the heat will be felt 50 yards away, and the shock of feeling it will take your breath away. Its one thing to volunteer to shoot the jug from 25-30 yards, standing in front of a crowd. Its quite another to be one of the crowd and not knowing what is coming. You won't be burned, but you will be checking the mirror for singed eyebrows.( not)

In my post I didn't mention anything about a watermelon it was a pile of watermelon. odis

I heard back from stonewallcreek and they indicated the brass 4 bore barrel would be over $400 and the steel 4 bore barrel would be $290. I am waiting on specific pricing for the brass. Now, I like the look of the brass and the corrosion resistance, but other than looks can anyone weigh in on what they would go with and the reasoning behind it? Would one be capable of higher prerssures than the other? Thanks, guys.

ooooops, I meant to type the price of the steel barrel is $215 (not $290)... And I just heard back and learned the 4 gauge Brass barrel is $424 PLUS shipping so that will be around $450... wow, this is making this gun project expensive.

Now I need a stock, lock, and trigger, ram rod, butt plate, etc for the big 4 bore (although I am still pondering the choice between the steel or the brass barrel, too). I want to get a firm handle on all costs and sources for all the parts before I start buying anything.

I'm looking at building a blunderbuss, too.

I put an order for a barrel with Stonewall Creek about 2 weeks ago. They have barrels coming in in about 2 months from what they tell me. Before I put my order in with them I was talking to the folks over at TVM and they said I could send them the barrel and they'd inlet it to the stock for me. Stonewall Creek goes as large as a 4 gauge.

Yeah the 4 bore from stonewall is what I've looked into and what I would get, except I REALLY wanted a shorter barrel than 20 inches I did find out from Loyalist that they would sell me a BRASS 10 gauge (77CALIBER), 16 inch barrel for $175 plus 25 shipping!

Man, that is tempting!

Decsions decisions.... But so good to seeother Blunderbuss guys out there. All posts related to Blunderbuss-dom are appreciated! thank YOU!

Latest posts

Back