• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bullet mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustydean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a "ball-et" bullet mold, or know if
one is even available? I would like to find one in .54 if
possible.

Hey Musketman show that pic of that Converted Lee .457 ball mould.

Basically what it is Lee ball mould with the spew hole drilled out just under bore size. It's true that this conversion does not have a hollow base or grease grooves but if a ball-et mould is not manufactured this is as close as you're going to get.

Musketmen might be back online tonight, but he will be in the morning.

Hey Musketman show that pic of that Converted Lee .457 ball mould.

Basically what it is Lee ball mould with the spew hole drilled out just under bore size. It's true that this conversion does not have a hollow base or grease grooves but if a ball-et mould is not manufactured this is as close as you're going to get.

Here is how to convert a round ball mold into a ballet mold, just remove the spure cutter and (with the molds clamped together) drill out the top half of the sphere...

100.jpg

Care must be used not to score the bottom half of the sphere and you might also want to open the hole on the spure cutter a bit to allow more flow of lead to the new design...

ball-et.jpg

dustydean:

If you do convert a ball mold, please report back to us about it...

Very interested in how the final product looks and shoots...

If you roll the ball-et on towel, using a very rough wood rasp, it will impress lube holding cuts into the soft lead. If you use OxeYoke borebutter(stick lube, not cream)it will be sufficient to keep fouling soft for up to 10 shots. Really press on the file to impress it's teeth, deeply.
: Rolling the slugs in this manner, also slightly increases their size so they fit the bore better. They should be a sliding (touching) fit in the bore. If loser than that, they probably won't be accurate.
: This is virtually identical to what I made for 12 bore full choke guns, and my 14 bore Rifle. After finding paper ctg. with RB's shot as well as patched RB, I didn't use this mould except for a test. I bored mine from the bottom, using an 11/16" drill, re-ground to cut a perfect hemispherical nose. My plunger, hollow base, design, is the same dia, 11/16" (.6875") & therefore, the mould is adjustable. It will cast slugs from 560gr. to over 1,200gr. I roll them with a rasp, and use the OxeYoke or other BP lube (stick for press)on it's sides. The light one, 560gr. shots to the sights at 50yds.with 100gr. 2F but took longer to load than a paper ctg.which is only 8 seconds, so there was no advantage over paper ctgs. for a fast second shot.
: The picture Musketman produced above, is idential in appearance to my bullet at it's shortest production. I used the long ones, at 1,200gr. as decoy weights. They weighed 2 3/4 ounces each.

Latest posts

Back