• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burst barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is something we should all support--a special hunting season for hunters using trebuchets! Maybe start small with a season for squirrels and work up to bigger game. Be the first in your town to take a buck with a trebuchet... :rotf:

Ah, and I will load a cow into my trebuchet and throw it upon you English dogs,.......none shall pass..

If we could get game departments to prohibit the use of scopes on rifles used in the primitive hunting seasons, except for those hunters with a medical disability, I believe all these zip guns would vanish as quickly as they came. Without scopes, the slob hunters whose only interest in MLers is to have a few extra days to hunt every year would find some new direction. The archery seasons have seen the same kind of slub hunter come into their ranks, now with not just compound bows, but with scope sights and composite arrows, and mechanical arrowheads, that open as they enter the target, and all other manner of " cheaters" to let someone too lazy to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow in the traditional way, get a tag and go out to wound deer as an " Archer". We had a Bow salesman tell my club that any man present could come to his shop, and within 2 hours of his helping us select the correct compound bow, with him putting on some extras, and selecting the correct arrows to use, he could have us hitting the center of a target at 20 yards every shot taken! At the time, I only could think back to my days as a kid learning to shoot a bow and arrow accurately, and the hundreds of hours I spent mastering the skill well enough to hit a target at 20 yards with a stick bow, and wooden target point arrows. Those were wonderful times spent, and I don't regret one minute of the time spent. To think that someone could walk in off the street, and be set up with a new compound bow that would shoot that well is both awesome, and kind of sad. They can't possibly understand what they are missing. :hmm: :hatsoff:

What needs to be done is to reclassify the seasons as traditional muzzleloader and traditional archery and if you want to use a modern muzzleloader or a modern bow you can go right ahead and do so during the modern season. These seasons were originally set up to give traditional hunters a fair chance, not to create anachronistic modern hunting weapons.

Personally, I think anachronistic modern weapons are fascinating and I'm glad they're out there, but they're still modern designs and they should have no place when it comes to traditional hunting or martial arts. When I mentioned modern trebuchets, I did so because they actually exist. They use them for pumpkin throwing contests and apparently they spend thousands of dollars building and improving them. I'm all in favor of that. If people were developing ultra modern bows and muzzleloaders for similar competition I'd be in favor of that too. The problem is they're developing them to exploit traditional hunting seasons and that makes a mockery of them.

They can use those zip guns during the normal firearms seasons, scopes and all. They don't do so, because they can instead use their modern breechloaders with scopes then ( Or whatever is permitted.) My point it that if Scopes were disallowed, you would not have to change these special seasons to " Traditional " archery or MLer. Just eliminating Scopes would be enough to drive these guys out of the seasons, give MLers a better chance at winnin a tag in drawings, where they are held for such seasons, and return the season to what it was always intended to be. We had a separate ML season here in Illinois for years before Zip guns came into the picture. Unfortunately, the Game department scheduled the shoot for one of the coldest and snowbound weekends of our year, and right before the Christmas Holiday. In spite of many years of requests to set it BEFORE the main firearms season, No, it had to follow it. Sale of tags was also impeded because you had to choose whether you wanted to hunt the 3-day special season, or the 6( then 7) day Firearms season- you could not do both. Only since the Zip Guns have appeared have they allowed hunters to hunt both seasons here., as mild winters have allowed the deer herd to explode in numbers, so that the Department was finally interested in just getting more people out in the field killing deer. The only reason we have a " special " ML season for deer is because the Legislature has dictated it. If it were left to the Department, I believe there would be no special season at all. The department only recently decided to allow certain calibers of revolvers to be used to hunt deer during the Firearms Deer Season here in Illinois. I am sure the policy makers think that allowing the zip gunds, and scopes just increases sales of deer tags, and helps kill a few more deer each year.

We have strayed a bit far from the original post about a blown barrel, so I apologize for my part in that straying, and want to end this now.

I do wish more information was forthcoming on that case in Wisconsin, as I also want to know the details of how 3 men could manage to blow up a barrel and kill someone with shrapnel from it.

I also suspect Smokeless powder was involved, probably because it was "black" ( Probably Bullseye), and I also suspect large quantities of alcohol and/or drugs were also involved to cloud men's judgements.

Drunks are a bit like kids: You determine the average IQ for any group involved in mischief: Then divide that IQ by the number of individuals involved to get the actual functioning IQ for the group as a unit. Usually, you are well down into the moron level.

Maybe that is why we strayed into discussing Zip Guns used in the special seasons. The same test can be used when judging the decision-making of politicians, and bureacrats. :rotf:

Some time back a group of students and profs I believe built a Trebuchet in England based on the originals and proceeded to toss some pretty big rocks with it, I think they used original plans and at least some original tools, that big hunk of rock looked pretty impressive arcing thru the air and comming down with an impressing amount of force, this may have been broadcast on one of the History channels if I recall correctly

tg said:
Ah, and I will load a cow into my trebuchet and throw it upon you English dogs,.......none shall pass..
Now now tg, your plan is full of holes. Laws would have to take into account what a "cow" is. Is it a female bovid, or are we including male bovids. Are the males steers or bulls? Are they polled (taking into account if they are polled breeds or polled after birth?) My my but the lawyers will have a field day with this! :hmm:

Cheers :wink:

Back