• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buy the best

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geraldbergeron

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to compete with with my ... long distance BP shooter friends.

I would like to buy the more accurate 50 cal percussion black powder for very long distance (1000 yards).

What would you buy, if you had not money limit ???

hum, hum...

...................................Gerald......../

Unless you MUST have a .50 caliber rifle...

it would probably be better for you to get a fast twist .45 caliber rifle. They are relatively expensive though!

Either the Whitworth or the Mortimer would be a really good choice. HOWEVER, I notice that on Dixie Gun Works website, that BOTH of these guns have a warning that says very boldy...

THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO CANADA

I see this same warning on most of the long range military style replica muzzleloaders.

Is there some kind of restriction on .45 caliber long range muzzleloaders in Canada?

OR is it that ALL military type replica muzzleloaders are forbidden to own in Canada?

OR is it just that the guns CAN NOT BE SHIPPED to Canada, BUT are legal to own there?

That being the case, then you would probably have to have a custom gun made with a fast twist for shooting heavy charges of powder with long heavy conical bullets... IF you are wanting to shoot 1000yds. I would have to think about this one a while before I would suggest something.

Hopefully, someone else here can assist you.

Regards, and shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I too am unfamiliar with Canada's firearm laws. But if price were no object, given your stated objectives, I would also go with a Whitworth or maybe a Gibbs.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

There is no problem owning any muzzleloader that I know of in Canada. The problem is with shipping over the border. There is a couple of places in Canada that carry this type of rifle. One is Loyalist arms, the other is Marstar. They have web sights so check them out.

Not many stores will ship caplock long guns to Canada because they are considered firearms under Canadian law so there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be done to get them across the border. If you have a Canadian firearms licence, there is nothing to stop you from travelling to the USA and bringing back a caplock rifle yourself, as long as you get a bill of sale and declare the gun at Canada Customs, but an American store trying to mail a caplock into Canada would face some serious problems I would think. Flintlock long guns are not considered firearms so they are sent in the mail as freely as a T-shirt or a book or a boxed set of Elvis CDs. I got my Pedersoli Mortimer .54 flinter shipped up to Ontario from TOTW in Minnesota with no problems whatsoever. They just put it in a box and sent it US mail.

Thanks much for the enlightenment about caplock muzzleloaders and Canadian gun laws. It stinks that freedom gets chipped away slowly... and it's happening everywhere, just much faster in some places and much slower in others.

FWIW, I've shot a (repro) Whitworth at 600yds before and I was absolutely gob-smacked! There were 5 holes in an even circular pattern that my hand could just cover. It was probably just about Minute Of Angle in size.

I've still NEVER seen ANY gun, (metallic cartridge or muzzleloader) that could do better with open sights... and I've not seen very many guns (of any kind!) with scopes that could beat it either . I'd love to have my own one (Whitworth) someday, but they are just too far out of normal price range (for me anyway, as)compared to other muzzleloaders. {Long & Heavy SIGH!}

FYI, I've heard (second-hand) that Loyalist Arms were very good people to deal with. Apparently the exchange rate makes for some nice price deals for Americans buying from them.

Regards, and thanks again,
WV_Hillbilly

If money was no limit and I could find one with a decent barrel I would get an original Gibbs-Metford or Rigby match rifle.

If you want a good quality reproduction that out of the box that is equipped for long range shooting then get a Pedersoli Gibbs in .45 cal.

I don't know why you want a .50 cal; this is not a typical calibre for long range shooting and I can't think of anything suitable. For interest though, Metford's match rifle for the NRA(GB) 2000 yard matches of 1865 & 1866 was .50 cal and fired a 700 grain bullet over a 150 grain charge.

Reference in one posting was made to the 'Mortimer'. If this is a reference to the Pedersoli Mortimer than it is not an ideal choice. The first thing you'd have to do with the Mortimer would be remove the sights and replace them with sights suitable for long range. The rifling has a slower twist than the Gibbs and being lighter by a couple of lbs felt recoil would be greater. The Mortimer is really designed for MLAIC 100m competition shooting.

Whitworths are often cited as a good choice, however they can take a lot of work to get the best from them. There's only a couple used at international level that I am aware of and these are original match rifles. The Parker-Hale etc repros are of military match versions with straight full length stock and open sights. To be competitive at long range you will need to upgrade the open sights to aperture sights.

The Pedersoli Gibbs has sights suitable for long range (I've shot mine to 1200 yards) has a 1 in 18" twist to the rifling and a pistol grip half stock. It has a good track record in international competition.

See my Long Range Muzzle Loader web site at: www.lrml.org

David

Loyalist Arms is in Canada--they carry Predsoli's.

My Tryon 54 round ball rifle is shooting better now that I tightened the nut on the stock. She will have a new rear peep installed here in a few weeks..as soon as the new tang arrives.
The sight came last week and is almost to delicate for my rough handling. It is an adjustable peep--oh yea left-right and up-down!
It is not a long range firearm...like the slug guns are.

Ahhhh another day in paradise :blah:

There is a gun dealer in Newark, OH that shoots long range blackpowder, paper patch loads. He shoots over in England at their international shoots and is very good. Here is a site that might be interesting. long range muzzlelaoding
Also here is his gun store and he has some guns and sights for sale there. J. Cunard firearms.
You could contact him and maybe get som more information including Canandian contacts. :v

Joe Hepsworth of J.Cunard & Company will be coming over to the UK in less than two weeks. He'll be shooting with the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB in our annual Metford Trophy competition. This is an aggregate match comprising 15 shots at each distance; 1000, 1100 & 1200 yards.

After that I believe he is heading to Bordeaux, France, for a week to assist with the US Team competing in the 22nd MLAIC World Championships. This is short range event with pistol (25m), musket (50m), rifle (50m & 100m) and shotgun events.

The point being, if you want to track him down, get in touch soon!

David

Long Range Muzzle Loader - www.lrml.org

Back