• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buying a flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a flinter. Shot percs for years, since 1975, need a new bad habit! Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated. I did shoot a tc pa hunter once though. What is better tc or lyman? for starters, Any one shoot the lyman deerstalker? I kinda like the looks of them! Thanks in advance!! thumper50

My flinter is a DGW Tenn Mntn Rifle I bought back itne late 70's. Understand they are no longer made cept in lefty mode. (There is a thread under Percussion Rifles about that).
I have a Lyman GPR in perc that I really like too. depends on how much you want to spend. If you have the resources, there are folks here who can point you to some custom builders who build really nice guns.
Good hunting.

My first flinter was a .45 cal.Pedersoli Blue Ridge from Cabels's, back when the price was decent. It's a sweet rifle with no problems. I have a .54 GPR percussion that I truely love, so my wife bought me a .54 GPR flint kit. It went together rather easy and great shooter. The only yhing I had to do was drill the vent liner a little larger. This gave it more positive ignition. It's a sure sparker, rugged straight shooter. It's the one I'm taking deer hunting this year. And you can't beat the price. $343.95 for the .54 GPR flint kit. Here's the link: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ . A lot of us have this rifle and have built this kit. It will get you a good flintlock without putting you in the poor house :thumbsup: .

Last edited by a moderator:
JUst came from the dentist,so I couldn't reply right away. A friend of mine has a tc pa htr he might sell, also I saw that Lyman has a sale on reconditioned guns ,blems, whatever. The price was right. Just wanted some feedback on what is a good "first" flinter. If I was going to go "custom", there is a builder about 10 miles from who does fantastic work. I saw a couple of his "in progress" rifles last week. Really nice. Nice prices too!! $1500+ Just getting opinions and info right now!

You got to be talking about Jimmy Klien. First rate builder, love his work.

Rick

The guys name is Dennis Priddy, Barry county. I saw him working on a flinter yrs ago at a mz gun show at the fairgrounds. Then last fri eve he was downtown Hastings. He had a flinter and aperc, both in progress. Fantastic balanced rifles and excellent work.

I have a Lyman Deer stalker in 54 cal it is a very accurate rifle and easy to use I have not shot flint for years. i am very impressed with this rifle.

I'm shooting a Lyman Great Plains .54 and love it. I couldn't ask for a more reliable or faster lock. The only thing I needed to do was swap out the Lyman touch hole liner for one by RMC. Flint life averages 40 to 60 shots. Failure to spark is rare and usually because I failed to wipe the flint after three or four shots. With the RMC liner I've never (yes never) had a flash in the pan. When the pan goes poof the gun goes bang.

Thanks semi; I think this winter would be a good time to find a flinter. Then I can figure out what's what with it!! Thanks for all your replies!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Back