• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying a Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use nylon brushes anymore. They seem more forgiving, last a lot longer (don't deform as much and your solvent doesn't eat them up), and I think, do a better job.

One last question (yeah, right): How do I set up the flint?

Wrap in leather with an extra strip on the bottom, sharp end up, and....well, that's all I know. How deep do I set it?

Tips and advice will be greatly appreciated. My English flints are on the way.

Avoid the GPR lesson I learned today as a new GPR/Muzzleloader guy - the flint leather provided by Lyman is cosmetic use only. It is far too thin and will allow the bottom of the jaw screw to impact on the stock. I have now made my own flint leather.

Wrap in leather with the bevel down or up see which way it sets higher in the cock.You want the flint to be just @ 1/16" away from the frizzen at the half cock position.

Dont forget the option of changing to the TC hammer, top jaw and top jaw screw for better positioning of the flint if the bevel down or extra leather under the flint thing doesnt help enough.

Lyman GPR - bought used. A .50 caliber. Best load in my gun is 90 grains FFg, PRB at .490 wrapped in 0.010" patch.
English flints wrapped in lead.
One of Jethro's "members only" benchrest matches at 100 yards:
GPR3shotat100.jpg

So...they shoot pretty well.
Petye

I already had a 5/64 drill bit, and purchased a 1/2 countersink bit. When I drill this thing out, should I cone it one one side or both? (I've got an extra liner on the way in case I mess it up).

On a side note, I went to Bass Pro to pick up some BP. What a ripoff- $24 per lbs for Goex. It'll be cheaper just to pay the hazmat and buy online.

Well, it arrived today, and its a good looking rifle. The stain is dark, but its got a nice grain underneath, so I think I might lighten it up a tad with denatured alcohal and redden it up with some linseed oil.

I scrubbed the barrel out with brake cleaner and ended up having to use some Iosso paste to get all of it out. I went ahead and drilled out the touch hole liner and coned it a little with a half inch counter-sink. The trigger's got a little creep, but not bad.

The flashpan looks a tad rough on the inside. I need to polish that out, right?

Its building up to rain, so I won't get a chance to shoot her until tomorrow. I'm pretty excited.

If I find I like shooting a flintlock, and I have no reason to think I won't, its on my list of things to do.

What about the flashpan, though? Its supposed to be glass-smooth, isn't it?

Well, got her cleaned up and ready to go for tomorrow. Knowing that flint is going to knock sparks each time I pull the trigger has not diminished the coolness of it, and surprise, each time I've done it.

Well, got her to the ranch today. Fired about 25 rounds to get acquanted.
016-Copy.jpg
[/img]

50 yards with 75gr Goex FFFg and .15 patch. Think I may have found my load.
004-Copy.jpg

There's a little lag between the flash and firing, but it improved as the day went, so I suspect its user error.

I had a great time. And cleaning wasn't as bad as I expected. I'll get her out to a hundred yards tomorrow.

Do yourself a favor... One I had to learn the hard way...

I have a .54 GPR..

BUY REPLACEMENT SEAR SPRINGS, and other lock parts to have on hand... The GPR does NOT have a traditional lock... Lyman went with a modern style instead...

ALSO: When you clean it... TAKE THE LOCK OFF BEFORE you clean the barrel... And just clean and oil the lock, then put it back on AFTER...

The thing I love about my GPR is its simplicity to clean!

I also use real powder (2F), not that smokeless garbage...

If you have a good muzzle loading shop in your area, I suggest going there for stuff, or trackofthewolf.com or look up Dixon's Muzzleloading in PA...

I consider Dixon's my second home... Awesome knowledgeable people that won't steer you wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy is looking for a flinter and have suggested this rifle to him. Fromm all reports a good solid rifle.

This is probably one of the better production guns one can get in quality and with a fair amount of pc/HC tossed in, one does not HAVE to remove the barrel every time to clean it properly, just as with the pinned longrifle barrels. the touch hole may have to be opened a bit from what I have seen from many postings on this topic. I used 70gr 3f and a .530/.535 ball with mine. Once you get rolling the gun will show you what works best. The primitive sight works well (not the ramp one) and keeps one in the traditional mode. The slow twist LGP is the best choice for true traditional mL shooting/hunting as the faster twist "Hunter" is made for modern conicals and tends to lead one away from the world of traditional MLing, which is what some prefer :idunno: the coil spring lock is not really traditional but does not show or offer any advantage over the flat spring style so one cannot really see an harm or foul there. Congrats on a good choice and enjoy the journey.

Thats good shooting! It looks like a very nice rifle and best of all it's a lefty! :thumbsup: I kinda want one in .54 cal. But thats just the flintlock addiction calling me and I'm trying not to listen to it. Don't know how long I can hold out before I finally break down and get one.

Back