• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C&B revolver hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost bought a R&S from Dixie. I was worried about the strange grip it has. Some like it, and some hate it.

Do you like it, or did you just get used to it?

The semi-bisley style grip and frame seem to fit my hands better than that of the ROA and the '58 remington. And a proper grip is a necessary if you expect good accuracy. I really like the balance and grip of the Colt replicas, but those miniscule sights leave much to be desired in regards to small game accuracy.

Drawing a gun from a sash while standing upright is a problem. Its much less so when sitting in a chair, leaning forward, when you are playing poker. The front of your coat tends to fall away from the body, giving better access to the sash and guns. The guns "slumping" actually makes them easier to grab- cross draw.

Yes, Hickok is shown wearing holsters- but virtually 100% of photographs HAD to be posed in those days. You are seeing prop guns, and rarely the subjects own guns. The holstered gun was much easier to show.

Hickok was Not a big man. He had small hands, which favored the small grip of the 1851 Colt model revolver. I serious doubt that he used any 1858 Colt or Remington .44 cal. revolver as it was too heavy for him, and the grips were too big for his hands. Too much mis-information about Hickok dates to the TV show with Guy Madison acting the part of Hickok. Madison was a tall, good looking Hollywood actor who played the part. Anything he did with revolvers were things taught to him by Stunt Coordinators.

The nice thing about carry the light 1851 .36 colt revolvers in a high sash is that the gun is carried in about the exact same location as a modern shoulder holster positions the gun. If you are standing, you can cross your hands over your chest, and conceal the movement the hand closest to your jacket to reach the but of the gun under the other arm.

Once your hand is around the grip of the revolver, you are about 1/4 second from being able to draw and fire the gun at an assailant. You draw the second revolver as you move to cover after firing the first shot, to protect yourself from any other assailants who are waiting to catch you with your back turned to them. Going from a position where you appear to be an unarmed "victim", to a man now holding 2 guns, and already having shot the first assailant is a sure " Game-changer" for multiple assailants. The reason they hunt in packs is because they are all cowards, and they certainly don't want to be shot.

Enough about gun-fighting tactics, and mental preparedness. I only mention it because there was a real Method to his choice of wearing a colorful sash at the gaming tables, which is not well understood by even " gun Experts", these days.

I have to make some corrections Paul. I'm into Cowboys and Cowboy Action Shooting.

Wild Bill was over 6' tall. Pretty big for those days.

Also the 1851 Colt which he used, and the 1860 Colt and 1958 Remington are all the same weight.

The 1851 may seem like a small grip, but i'm 6'1" with big hands and it fits me perfect. As an example. My hands match my feet. I wear size 14 boots.

I believe Wild Bill used the 51's, because he really liked them. I believe they're the best pointing revolver ever made.

Ruger Vaquero has exactly the same grip. Ruger knew what grip to copy, and Colt knew what grip to put on the 1973 Peacemaker. Colt put the 51 grip on the 73. Ruger copied the 73 Colt.

So, it all boils down to the 1851 grip still being used 159 years later. Not bad

I'm betting - Wild Bill being somewhat a "flamboyant" character, used holsters when riding and his "sash" when meeting the folks and gaming. People tend to use what works best for them, just as we do when we are in different circumstances. I think, if a man wants his guns available when needed, wouldn't carry pistols in a sash on horseback.

Dan

DanChamberlain said:
I think, if a man wants his guns available when needed, wouldn't carry pistols in a sash on horseback.

I have to correct you. They'd be available-- for about the first hundred yards.

Then they'd be in the dirt. :rotf:

He used holsters. He used them backwards with the butts of the guns forward. He would cross arms for drawing them both at once.

Capper said:
He used holsters. He used them backwards with the butts of the guns forward. He would cross arms for drawing them both at once.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Spend any time in a saddle, and you'll be belting your holsters crossdraw.

I serious doubt that he used any 1858 Colt or Remington .44 cal. revolver as it was too heavy for him, and the grips were too big for his hands.
Bill used an 1860 Army Colt not an 1858 and it is documented as so - as noted the Army is only slightly heavier (both use the same exact frame) and the only difference in the grip is the Army is 1/4" longer than the Navy grip. Also as noted Bill was in fact not a little man at all. The 1851's were his toen guns and agin there is in fact no documentation for Bill using a sash alone other than eastern writers of the time who never even met him.

Bill did wear them butt forward, but he used what is known as the reverse or cavalry draw, not a double cross draw - again documented and again James G Rosa is the man to read for info on Wild Bill aka Duck Nose Bill......

As to hunting with a C & B - I've used my 51 Navy and my 60 Army for game up to the size of coyotes out to 25-30 yards - like any other gun it's know the limits - both yours and the guns - and if you put the ball in the right spot they'll do the job.
Back in the day the big 44 Dragoons were a popular gun for running buffalo and is well documented.

So much false info has been written about Hickok. I thought I had read he used a cross draw, but probably from someones imagination.

I stand corrected.

Yes. I have a Remington 1858 with the case harden frame and the checkered grips. I got it from Cabela's. I got this gun for hunting small game and fox and coyotes. The gun works great. This year I am not able to hunt because of health problems. The c&b revolvers work great for hunting as long as you know the guns limitations and you use the right caliber for the game you are hunting.Dennis.

Back