• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cabelas kentucky or blueridge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve hill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
does anybody have one of these and what is your opinon
between it and the blueridge for a first flinter thanks
guess I should add the guns primary purpose would be
hunting thanks again

I had a Kentucky as my first flinter. It was a good rifle except the lock was small, tho' it did spark well. never owned a blue ridge, but of the two I would go with the blue.

i would go with the blue ridge and the kentucky rifle looks nothing like a real one and the blue ridge looks kinda like a leihigh valley rifle :imo:

I have had both of them and i would strongly suggest the Blue Ridge. It has a large, good sparking lock, and ignition is very fast. It takes a 7/8" flint. All i had to do was drill the vent liner hole out to 1/16". The Kentucky lock is very small, it takes a 1/2" or 5/8" flint. Also, the one i had had the vent liner positioned clear to the front of the pan, and the vent hole was half covered by the pan it was so low. I have heard of others that had them that had the same problem. I never tried to fire it, figured it would be trouble, so i just sent it back to Cabela's. I have had 3 Blue Ridge rifles, 1 .45 cal. and 2 .50 cal.'s. and they were all good shooters. They are also very accurate. :m2c:

I have a Blue Ridge myself. Rifle shoots great. Off the bench at 50 yards will put 3 shots touching. Had to play around with the load and patch combo, but hey you have to do that with all of them. Only problem I had when I first started using it was it ate flints. And I mean ate. 3 shots and the flint was shot. Found out the lock was not quite right. Polished the frizen hinge area and adjusted springs, Drilled touch hole out and WHAMO. Thing shoots like a dream. :results: Only complaint now is it is a little nose heavy. Thinking of restocking it and swamping barrel. :m2c:

My Kentucky rifle is by Traditions. It is my first flinter. I hollowed out a piece of deer antler and made a powder measure. I use 50 grains of 2fg touched off with some 4fg in the pan. Mine shoots pretty well. I will try to take a deer with it this fall. Mine only complaint is that the pan is so small that is very easy to overfill, causing somewhat delayed ignition. My flints seem to last long but I do have to knapp them occasionaly. I did not realize that the touchole was offcenter until I started reading this forum, but this has not seemed to be a problem. I hope your rifle shoots well.

My shooting buddy had a Cabella's Blue Ridge; he had to send it back because the fit and finish were horrible.

Back