• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabin Fever!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
AAAAAAARGGGHHH!

It's 6 degrees.

I've got a Kentucky to learn, and a New Englander to learn better.

Hard to shoot when your eyeballs are freezing, not to mention laying in the snow to rest the rifles on logs.

I should know both of the rifles out to 100 yards by now, but only know the .50 out to 55 or so yards, and the .45 I have a pretty good idea where it'll hit at 45 yards.

I'm still learning the holdover and all for the particular rifles.

Came time to swab and the spit patch froze before I could wipe out the barrel!

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

If you keep a pill bottle of alcohol soaked patchs in your shooting bag you will have no trouble swabbing in cold weather. And if you use the proper alcohol on the patches you can suck on them if it gets too cold! :surrender:

:hmm: Seriously, you should never mix drinking alcohol and shooting. :hmm:

Soak your patches in windshield washer fluid, the alcohol in it keeps it from frezzing even at -20 deg. and the soap solution keeps the barrel cleaner.
PS. I camped out last weekend it was -10 when we were out shooting our muskets.

Its just like getting a new bike for Christmas and having to wait until March to be able to ride it. My eyes water so bad in cold weather I can't see the sights, so frozen might be an improvement. Maybe Ski goggles would help?
If you keep a pill bottle of alcohol
it might take more than a pill bottle full, but that's always an option for cabin fever.

It can't be much colder where you're at than where I'm at. It's supposed to get warmer next week and be in the 20s or 30s.

Well, you should be out hunting! Yesterday was 12° when I went out and a 20-30 mph wind at the airport on the next hill our height to the west. It were cold!!!

I guarantee your thoughts drift to coffee and couch after two hours in that.

6 degrees?6 DEGREES!!!bwaaaaaaaahahahaha...suck it up buttercup,that's just nice deer huntin weather,lol.Try calling coyotes in minus 30 with frozen breath and snot caked to your 'stache,lol.

No sympathy from here. :shake:

Hah! I don't care how tough you guys are, I'm with Josh. I ain't going shooting in temps under 40!! Been known to hunt at -38 deg F though. :)

Oh Pshah!! I can see why you are in Idaho. :haha:

That look on your face says more to support my opinion than I can. :rotf:

I agree with Capper. I use Mink Oil at the range and in the woods. Won't freeze. You get a lot for the money. Easy to use, I just wipe my patch over it.

It's not a matter of not being able to hack it, it's a matter of not being able to shoot my best in the cold. I consider going out during blizzards to be great sport.

I have no shame in admitting that I AM A WIMP. All my life I could handle cold or hot weather and never look back. Now heat is up as high as possible with out wife kicking me out and in summer the AC is running full bore. Was giving thought of putting an exhaust fan in the kitchen and set up a heavy back stop and do my shooting from kitchen to the den. I was experimenting with HOT GLUE gun to cast .457, .490 and .530 RB for my wife to make ear rings with. So the thought of 2-3 g of BP and blazing away until the temp gets back to what it's suppose to be here in Alabama

All my rifles have stamped on the barrel, "Caution: Do not remove from storage while temperatures are less than 60 degrees." :blah: :rotf:

I consider Interstate 10 as the Arctic circle. It's too blasted cold for me even here in Houston. :surrender:

Back