• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Calibre questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have barrels in each caliber, .32, .36, 40, .45, and .50cal.

Initially, didn't like .32cal at all, my 5/16" 10-32 range rod was too big, so was my short starter. Had to buy and start carrying a 1/4" 8-32range rod and accessories, was using thinner patch/lube, and too light a charge, and getting 4" groups @ 50yds. After more exhaustive load development, I finally found the right charge/patch/lube combo, and now have it shooting just over 1-1.5 inch from the bench at 50yds, and am warming up to it. 50yds seems to be about the limit, it has difficulty reliably knocking down pig sillhoettes at that distance.

I like the .36cal better than the .32cal. I can use my normal rod and accessories, still doing load development, but it's shooting great and is reliably knocking down sillhoettes, in fact I won the local club match with it last weekend.
20240721_122932.jpg

The .40cal GM barrel has replaced my .50cal GM barrel to become my go-to match rifle. It's a Lazer, and will stretch out to 100yds, though is a bit anemic on big heavy ram and Buffalo sillhoettes at that distance.

The .45cal is probably the best choice for all-around use, I have both percussion and flintlock barrels in this caliber, though they are shorter and have less sight radius than my longer GM barrels.

My .50cal GM has now become my dedicated 100yd gun. I leave it permanently sighted in at that distance, and simply switch to it for the 100yd stages, especially if there are sillhoettes.

Last edited:
Brought out the .32cal Cherokee and tried shooting sillhoettes at 50yds again, hit the pig three times using 20gr, increased the charge to 30gr hit it twice more, it turned sideways, but didn't fall. Increased the charge to 40gr, and hit it twice more before it finally fell over. Don't think that I'll use the .32cal for sillhoettes.
20240815_164553.jpg

The Traditions Crockett is one great little rifle, accurate, cheap to feed and one of the best small game rifles available. But the .32 caliber ball only weighs around 46 grains and would be next to useless at 100 yards. The logical choice would be a .40 rifle if you want the smallest caliber that will reliably knock over iron silhouettes at 100 yards. A .40 ball will weigh 90 to 95 grains depending on the balls dia.

The Traditions Crockett is one great little rifle, accurate, cheap to feed and one of the best small game rifles available. But the .32 caliber ball only weighs around 46 grains and would be next to useless at 100 yards. The logical choice would be a .40 rifle if you want the smallest caliber that will reliably knock over iron silhouettes at 100 yards. A .40 ball will weigh 90 to 95 grains depending on the balls dia.
Am new to the small stuff, only had it a couple months, so am still feeling them out and testing their limits. Have a .50cal Hawken with GM barrell that I keep as a dedicated 100yd gun. I also have a. 40cal Hawken with GM barrell that is my primary match rifle, and will shoot cloverleaf groups at 50yds. Doubt this T/C Cherokee would ever match its performance even on paper at shorter ranges. It's a heck of a lot easier to carry in the field though!
20240727_121401.jpg

Last edited:
Had an extended chat with one of the top shooters this afternoon, he pointed out that nothing in the rules says you can't use more than one gun, and only about 15% of targets are past 50yds. He suggested shooting whatever gun I shoot best with out to 50yds, and keeping eather the .45 or .50 cal carefully zeroed in @ 100yds.

Then switch over and use it exclusively for the 75 - 100yd. targets. That way I don't have to worry about adjusting the charge, adjusting the sights, how much to hold over, or any of that during the actual match, just switch guns for the longer shots.
Most of the matches I used to shoot in, you had to use the same gun for the whole match.

We need to think of the 32 as the 22 long rifle of muzzle loaders. They are great for small game at reasonable distances and a blast to shoot. You don’t take a larger center fire rifle to a 22 sillhoette or a 22lr to win at a center fire long distance match. If you are going to own only one muzzleloader (unlikely) you need to think about what you want it for. I love my little 32 but also my old 50 TC Hawken. Of course there are a bunch of others in the safe.

If those are the rules, then that's fine, but if not, then why be at a disadvantage?
Per NMLRA rules the individual matches of an aggregate can be fired with different rifles. However each individual match can only be fired by one rifle. The only exception for the individual match is if the rifle becomes disabled during that match and cannot be repaired you would be allowed to complete the match with a different rifle.

My grandfather, 1892-1980 returned from WW-I and bought a lever action chambered in .32WCF a black-powder cartridge also known as the .32-20 which I'm told means 32 caliber, and 20 grains of black powder.

I know this rifle harvested literally hundreds of deer, coyotes, cougars, even a bear or two over the next six decades.

Perhapse I'm wrong, but would imagine a .32 caliber muzzle stuffer should be capable of similar performance.

Don't hear of a lot of historical references to.32 caliber muzzle loaders. I'm sure they existed, but doubt they where that common.

Many call .32 calibers Crockett rifles, though I've read that "Ol Betsy" on display at the Alamo is actually a .40 caliber. And Daniel Boons "Tick-Licker" was a .44 caliber.
The 32-20 cartridge used a much heavier bullet.

Back