• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you guys school me on grades of Hawkens? Quality, value, etc.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertIN

West Harrison, Indiana
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering going on the hunt for a Hawken, but I dont know the first thing about them. Can you give me a rundown of value, quality, price? ie. Traditions-> TC-> Pedersoli-> etc. Appreciate it much y'all! I'm looking to stick to a $600ish budget.

If you can find a t/c that has a replacement green mountain barrel with a round ball twist, you will have a fine shooting rifle and should be in that price range.
I see a few on armslist, but nothing green mountain. Id be trading an unmentionable for the Hawken so unless I go through the trouble of selling first I cant pick one up here.

Agree with above, for a starter Hawken, its hard to beat a T/C for value and shooting. My first was one, and been thru others since and still have one and it shoots RB and conicals both just fine.
If historical accuracy per its looks is a major concern then you might try a Lyman Great Plains rifle, same quality and accuracy potential, but looks more like an actual Hawken.

Agreed a T/C would be a good bet to find one available and trade for, the sheer number of them out there is in your favor. A factory barreled Hawken is not gonna be terrible either. Granted the Green Mountain slow twist suggestion is definitely a plus. But you could always slide into one with a factory barrel then find a GM barrel later. They do come up from time to time on ebay and the like. I also second the Lyman GPR suggestion. That is a fine round ball slinger for sure.

I'm considering going on the hunt for a Hawken, but I dont know the first thing about them. Can you give me a rundown of value, quality, price? ie. Traditions-> TC-> Pedersoli-> etc. Appreciate it much y'all! I'm looking to stick to a $600ish budget.
We can quibble bit about the quality of any of them, but the important consideration is the conditiion of the barrel and the function of the lock when the rifle is in your hands. Don't overlook the earlier CVA brands. (CVA and Traditions locks for the Mountain Rifles and their Hawkens have lighter mainsprings which are adequate for percussion locks.) Some people may think the Pedersoli rifle might be priced higher than $600, but it's not really any better than the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

We can quibble bit about the quality of any of them, but the important consideration is the conditiion of the barrel and the function of the lock when the rifle is in your hands. Don't overlook the earlier CVA brands. (CVA and Traditions locks for the Mountain Rifles and their Hawkens have lighter mainsprings which are adequate for percussion locks.) Some people may think the Pedersoli rifle might be priced higher than $600, but it's not really any better than the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.
I'm going to look at the GPR, failing to find one I'll go with one of the many TC variants. Appreciate it!

I am by no means an authority on Hawkin rifles! I can say that to get one that looks close to a real Hawkin will cost you about $1,000 plus ? I haven't priced them lately but I bought mine in 1985 and it was $450.00 if you factor in inflation it will be a steep price?

as you can see you have opened a can of worms and found a hornets nest but I'll add my opinion you can't go wrong with a used TC, CVA, Lyman, the new Traditions are good guns just not in the same class. In my opinion the holy grail is a USA CVA mountain rifle find one and you'll never look back

A Hawken will require 2 more zeros on your budget price.

Your looking for modern commercial half stock representation of a plains rifle.

I built an Ithaca Hawken in 1977 and it looks pretty much like a Hawken rifle. Right now, these guns are bringing about $1,500, cheaper than a custom build though but hard to find.

I built an Ithaca Hawken in 1977 and it looks pretty much like a Hawken rifle. Right now, these guns are bringing about $1,500, cheaper than a custom build though but hard to find.
I purchased the last two complete Ithaca that were built in the eighties, I can't remember the exact date, for $900.00. One went to a friend the other one I kept and still have. To say I like it is an understatement. I can no longer shoot due to a physical problem and age. I am thinking of letting it go?

I purchased the last two complete Ithaca that were built in the eighties, I can't remember the exact date, for $900.00. One went to a friend the other one I kept and still have. To say I like it is an understatement. I can no longer shoot due to a physical problem and age. I am thinking of letting it go?
Don't sell it cheap. They are in demand.

Back