• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canoe gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AT LONG LAST...PICTURES OF THE DREADED "CANOE GUN" IN ACTION!!! :blah:

Here I am, stalking a wild canoe. Note the period attire proper to hunting large canoes....

P7220152.jpg

Having tamed the canoe with a few 16 ga rounds, I proceeded to mount up and set forth...

P7220154.jpg

Of course, I think if I were using the 54" barrel that some argue is proper, I may have been bucked off the wild canoe and ended up in the drink...

P7220158.jpg

And here it is, complete with trophy photo of prey...

P7220159.jpg

DOn't get too serious... :thumbsup:

I hope you weren't hunting out of season. :nono:

:rotf:

Nice stance, BTW. What is the bag limit where you are? :haha:

I've been told that fiberglass, when properly prepared, is quite tasty. Best served al dente I believe. With an inexpensive, but bold red wine. :thumbsup:

Russ T Frizzen said:
I've been told that fiberglass, when properly prepared, is quite tasty.

I find OldTown-poly more palatable than cedar-strip or fiberglass. Similar flavor to duck and goose decoys.

So, do you skin your canoes, or just scald the decals off? :hmm:

Scalding--it seals the polyester resins in. A richer flavor is the result and cooking time is shortened. It's the recipe Martha Stewart recommends. :thumbsup:

Martha Stalwart? Did you catch the show where she built a canoe gun from a kit? I think she winged the set director when she test fired. :grin:

:bull:

I think she has a recipe for set directors, too. Something about an apple in their mouths and a sassy, piquant sauce with ginger and Tabasco sauce. Yum, yum! Serves 12 lusty cannibals or one hungry Martha! :thumbsup:

Drove by this thread several times and I thought I had a photo that could add fuel to the fire. This photo is from 'The Treasury of the Gun' by Harold Peterson printed in 1962. This is a large format book and is from pages 110-111. It is a photo & not a scan....here it goes
img_0466a.jpg

The caption on page 112 states: "Serpent side plate marks Northwest gun as one of several types of trade weapons supplied to Indians. Barrel has been cut down for ease of handling during hard-running buffalo hunt over prairie on horseback." I believe that this may have been the personal weapon of Chief Broken File of the Hacksaw Tribe, but we're still verifying that. In the photo the chief had just downed the now extinct, giant woolly mammoth prairie dog. Mike :rotf:

In the original photograph, the amount of weathering on the stock is amazing! Looks like it spent a very rough life on the prairie.

Just a thought...

could "canoe gun" be a typo for "canoe gum?" Gum made from pitch, tallow, and charcoal was essential for making and repairing bark canoes.

So maybe "canoe gun" is not a type of gun, but a typo of gun?

:haha: :v

At last, a sensible explanation for a contentious and irrational term! Merci beaucoup, mon ami. :bow:

Latest posts

Back