• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capote Paterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboysteve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks! I'm looking around for capote patterns that are more representative of the early fur trade era (1820s-30s). From paintings of the era, they were more fitted or hourglass shaped. Not like the square tube shape of most common patterns on the market. They were usually mid thigh and lacked fringe. Any thoughts?

Try North West Traders.They sell one pack with pattern to make duffel style, old taylor style,caped similar military style, unhooded and coalered southern style coats. Check out the mountain man sketch books. All the coats in the book are from a museum. Two of the styles are in NWT packet. Many styles shown in paintings for the time are fitted well. One of the short coat or weskit patterns can be adapted with a skirt fitted on to be a winter over coat patterns.

Fun read. Did you note that as often as we think of knee or a little higher as proper for the time the military coats are shown longer, upper ankle?

Yeah I made some long ones, but found knee length a lot more useful. I got to say people who loved the life learned what worked and it's hard to improve on what they had with what they used.

tenngun said:
Fun read. Did you note that as often as we think of knee or a little higher as proper for the time the military coats are shown longer, upper ankle?
Those long military style were called "watch coats" and usually issued two or three per company for standing watch. In a situation where you're still or walking a beat up and down, long is fine and a lot warmer! :wink:

Saw that in the link Black Hand posted.i did not know or even guess it was a company issue. I made several coats to lower ankle length, much like Yukon jack more then what I saw in historic works. It looks nice as long as your poseing :haha: not as handy to walk in. Could sleep in it well but had to fold the skirt up to walk in the woods. Since the late 90s went with more correct length.

I have have a pattern that utilizes one trade blanket, I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it up for you.

vjqZ4io.jpg

x42E5jc.jpg

Here is what I always use. Gives you plenty of room to custom Taylor to your own needs.

That blocky coat is easy to make, you can make one as a lazy Saturday afternoon project. Since it is so simple it would be hard to argue that such a style does not date back to prehistoric times. A blanket is easiest to weave as a big rectangle, and with a few quick cuts you have an overcoat.
However all the old coats that we still have and all paintings show more fitted coats, some even have multi cuts to the body.
Two and a half yards of good wool is expensive, and a bay blanket cost compares with the cost of gun parts, make sure your style will fit your time before you snip the scissors.
That said I have made more then one of those styles to use as my regular wear winter coat, for town and shopping, but not for historic events

Many of the Capotes seen today appear to be based on a later (reservation era) pattern that is too late for the Fur trade period.

I have that exact pattern but have not made my capote yet. The graphic on the front of the package is a little deceiving as it is kinda cartoon like. The pattern comes with information and photos of the actual capote it was based on. As I recall it is a copy of a Canadian capote from the 1820's that resides in a museum in England. I am looking to make a capote with the same features you describe i.e. knee length, fitted arms and cuffs and pleated back/skirt. Like I said I haven't made my capote yet but am very happy with this pattern and all of the information/instructions included with it and would recommend it. Hope this helps.

This makes a complete outfit for an Ojibwa or Cree woman of the early 19th century.

Is this a pattern for a woman's Capote? :idunno:

Good to hear it's a high quality pattern. I guess I'll pony up the funds and give it a gander.

Latest posts

Back