• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc623

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I actually did try a search without the help I need.
I need a new capper for percussion caps.
The old inline ones that I have are dismal at best.
Therefore I am asking what ya'll use with success.
I am shooting side lock rifles and ROA.
Do you use an inline type capper and if so which one or who is the mfg?
Or have you used a snail type with what kind of success"
My fingers are old and get stiff in the cold of winter.

My brother gave me a Ted Cash capper. I really like it. I have trouble with my hand at times, and the capper is a great aide to me. I don't use it on revolvers, just rifles, shotguns and pistols. It's a great investment as far as I am concerned. :thumbsup:

I use a strip of leather with holes punched out. The caps go in the holes. Press it down and lift the leather, cap stays. FREE

I also use a Ted Cash capper and I really like it. You can find them on ebay at pretty good prices.

I've got a couple of the brass "U" channel in-line variert that have stood up well. One is a Ted Cash and the other some version Dixie had 30 years ago.

I also have a "snail" type from Ted Cash that I have been carrying lately when shotgunning. It usually works well but occasionally is reluctant to release a cap and I end up having to use my fingers anyway to get it set on the nipple. I think they're more designed for cap pistols (revolvers).

I personally have little success with the Ted Cash ones, either the rifle or the inline versions (haven't tried to revolver ones). They tend to drop caps a lot, and the design of the inline one keeps you from being to use your last cap. It's also a bit oversized, which gives more space for my #11s to rotate as I load (I've mastered the art of loading them horizontally, though, so this is no longer much of a problem).

I much prefer the "junk" inline ones like this one: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_319&products_id=3677 (there are much better prices on them at other sources). They eventually loosen up and start dropping caps, but you can easily adjust the leaf spring on the end, and you can use every last one of your caps.

The rifle one tends to drop caps, and it's gravity fed, which means that inevitably, you'll find that one either fell out or never fell into the jaws at all. I prefer the positive action of the slide on the inlines.

I don't know if this will help at all, though, since I may be recommending the very style you dislike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted Cash Cappers are great. Best part is dumping a tin of caps in it and tapping it till they all turn rightside up on their own....Well most of em anyway.
The Ted Cash Pistol capper is well worth it too.

Doc, the Ted Cash capper I use is like the one posted for Track of the Wolf, at $21.50. At best, I'd say it was oblong with one end flattened. Mine is also silver instead of brass. Again, it was a gift from my brother. He knew I was having some troubles with the hand. This sure did the trick for me.
I made a small pick out of music wire and a piece of antler for a handle. I dump the caps into the capper and use the pick to flip over the caps so they are all facing up in the right direction.
I have a piece of leather lace through the loop at the end of the capper. This goes through a button hole, or around a button, and then carried in my shirt pocket. I always seem to drop the thing several times when the hand isn't working well. It never gets far tied to my shirt.
Once in a while, I'll manage to get one cap turned sideways in the capper. Then I'll either pull it out or open the capper and straighten it.
It holds a bunch of caps. :thumbsup:

doc623 said:
Is that the straight inline or the snail type?
I have one of each of the Ted Cash cappers. The "inline" one is designed for rifles, the "snail type" is for pistols. I use the "snail type" for rifles and pistols more than the other one.

I had an Allen straight capper. It was too deep, and the caps would tumble down inside of it. I got a Flint River capper (sold at WalMart, made by Thompson Center) and it has been dandy. I like it a lot.

I like the Cash cappers too and have never had a problem with any of them. Strong and dependable. :thumbsup:

Back