• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carolina Gun / Iron mounted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah ....and how I rasp it ...uhmmmm .....think I'll have to take a pic ...its " into the edge " , so no splits ....I'll get pic for ya bud . These pics would be when doing the barrel side ...when done , turn the stock and do the RR channel same way .... At the angle necessary to make the 1/8" edge there will be a straight ridge left on top , in middle . Take that ridge down and round it all a bit ...
You got it ,into the edge so it doesn’t split is exactly what i wanted to know.I knew one way or the other but wasn‘t sure which one would cause it to split.And as of today I know have a Hershel House depth
finder /marker for the barrel and ram rod channel.👍😁

You got it ,into the edge so it doesn’t split is exactly what i wanted to know.I knew one way or the other but wasn‘t sure which one would cause it to split.And as of today I know have a Hershel House depth
finder /marker for the barrel and ram rod channel.👍😁
Awesome !!! If the nail ever gets so loose that it slips or falls out , it HAS to have tension for marking depths , then take the nail out and peen it all over then try it in block again .. Keep it straight but peening it all over helps a bunch if it ever gets loose . Hershel and John showed me this great little tool at one of their classes in S. Ohio . The class was on break and I was looking around their work benches checking out their rifles . Nice and ofly helpful fellas

Oh yeah ....and after you get to this " roughed in stage " dont use the rasp.on those edges anymore , later , when your lookin to make them thinner ...youll rip chunks out of the thinned edge cause the rasp aint made for that fine work .... Youll use file and course sand paper to thin the edges later in the " take to final form " stage ..... Ive got over zealous and went too far and made the edge too thin and few chunks missing ....thats really bad .If you ever do that holler at me . Its a pain but fixable you dont go TOO bad .... Sucks though ....

Last edited:
Rob you sure do a great job on helping people. My opinion. Your way of showing how to do things is right up their with Herschel. That Rob is the best compliment I can give you...
Thats about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me bud .....thank you . I really look up to Hershel . I hope someone gets some help from my ramblings ...

Last edited:
Clean up , refine side plate and thumb plate .... Tomorrow I'll engrave them ...

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_162904.jpg
    IMG_20230728_162904.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230728_162847.jpg
    IMG_20230728_162847.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230728_173357.jpg
    IMG_20230728_173357.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230728_173502.jpg
    IMG_20230728_173502.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230728_165218.jpg
    IMG_20230728_165218.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Do your clients give you a free hand on your builds or do you build to their wants, staying true to your style though?

Do your clients give you a free hand on your builds or do you build to their wants, staying true to your style though?
Most the time , being trade guns , the customer will just say " build me a NW trade gun , 42" barrel and 13.5" pull , walnut stock ..." and thats about it since trade guns were all built to certain pattern but .... At times a customer may want a deviation from the norm and request , much like this Carolina gun , iron mounting where the original was all brass mountings or something like that ....not a problem . Or an early , pre 1780 style N.W gun compared to a late Mountain man period N.W. gun .... I dont keep maple on and have no local source for it so I only offer walnut and cherry for stock wood . I like to stay as true to the originals as possible but a little deviation is not a problem . I once had a guy wanting a trade gun , in curly maple with a rifled barrel ...I sent him a phone number for a custom builder I know , LOL . Dont get me wrong , To each their own but I dont really want to build anything but authentic trade guns nowadays . Ive seen some really beautiful curly maple Fusil de chasse before but I'm not into building that . A hand made , scratch build trade gun made as authentic as possible , even the log was drug out of the woods by a horse ! , and I'm building like I want to .

My only attitude is ..." I hope I dont screw this gun up and I hope he likes it !! ". :D
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. I was just wondering if you make the side plate, or the engraving and such how the mood suits you or if people ask for a specific pattern. Your guns are amazing and considering it’s all by hand with basic hand tools blows my mind.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. I was just wondering if you make the side plate, or the engraving and such how the mood suits you or if people ask for a specific pattern. Your guns are amazing and considering it’s all by hand with basic hand tools blows my mind.
Why thank you , thats very kind of ya. I'm no star builder just try to build an authentic and good reliable gun . Yeah , I make the side plate , on Carolina Guns , thumb plate , trigger , ramrod , ramrod pipes , trigger guard , butt plate , stock , do the engraving , etc. etc. and I use pics of the originals as patterns . See if I have that " start and finish pic " I posted on FB couple days ago . Most folks are shocked by how it he guns look like a 2x4 at the beginning , LOL ! and in the he pic there is already 30 hours of work in it but it still looks like a 2x4 ! LOL ....let's see now ....here four good ones but not the one I was lookin fur .....hmmm.m.... Hope dont end up deleting all this by accident .....hmmmm....Here it is !!! This might work !

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673280108440.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673280108440.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1683163652432.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683163652432.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230522_120737.jpg
    IMG_20230522_120737.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230414_113738.jpg
    IMG_20230414_113738.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1690664270946.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690664270946.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok so ....bolt holes in side plate .... At both hole draw lines centered , up and down and sideways with hole as center . Do middle hole first , punch then drill , 3/16 , then bolt in middle hole ..... With lines on front hole center that sucker up and center punch ....take it all off and drill front hole ... Then bend and tweek side plate to fit centered ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_180318.jpg
    IMG_20230729_180318.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230729_180401.jpg
    IMG_20230729_180401.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230729_181255~2.jpg
    IMG_20230729_181255~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back