• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying a pistol while hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy82

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Over the past several years more and more mountain lions have been spotted along the Platte River valley almost as far east as Lincoln. Don't get me wrong though, it's still rather rare to run into one up close. When I hunt during BP season I'm usually out there alone, much to my moms displeasure. So to keep her off my back and for a little extra peace of mind I started carrying a .50 cal pistol(Traditions Kentucky model). I'm curious if anybody else does the same? I never saw anything in the regs (for Nebraska at least) for there being a limit on the number of guns you can carry while hunting, and it is still .50 cal so it is a legal size in case I use it to finish a kill. They may have worded it "rifle must be..." so I might have to check that out next time I'm back home. I don't think a game warden would have an issue with someone carrying a black powder pistol for "personal protection" during black powder season.

This post is mostly because I am curious about every bodies opinions. Or maybe some examples of "good idea, bad idea" or some stories.

Nothing wrong with carrying a sidearm while hunting, in my opinion. I'd even go so far as to say that one should carry a backup gun. That supposes, however, that one is familiar with the gun and has achieved an acceptable level of proficiency.

I mention proficiency because the sportsman's club I volunteer for is holding it's annual public sight in days. I see too many people just now learning about the gun they're going to take hunting in a couple of weeks - and doing nothing with the sidearm they're going to carry as a backup. Not a good thing.

Edited to add that I have no problem with a bp pistol as that backup gun - as long as one knows how to use it and has practiced with it.

I'd look into your hunting reg booklet and see what it says. I know a year or two ago they allowed us in AZ to start carrying a pistol of our choice during the archery hunts, as long as it met certain requirements. Such as barrel length, no optics, ect. Personally I keep a 1911 in my hunting pack no matter what I'm hunting with, like you said "a little piece of mind." I personally don't think there would be an issue with it, but then again I don't make the rules. :surrender:

Probaby not a bad idea if leagal in your area, I used to carry a .36 navy colt in a shoulder holster when trapping beaver, not sure what the out come would have been had I ran across a foul tempered cat or black bear but I felt it was sufficient for two leggeed trouble makers, any of the cats or bears I have run across were more than ready to run the other way.

Again, check your regs. Here in Texas you can't carry a firearm during archery season without a concealed carry license. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar law for BP. Although I'd guess a black powder firearm would be covered. :)

I'm going to be hunting black powder this season for my first time ever(only longbows and recurves previously-never shot at an animal with any kind of firearm) and I'll carry the same modern pistol I carry with my bow.

Opinions about legalities are generally a bad idea "IMO". :wink: As suggested you should check with your local regulators back home to find out what your local laws are if you really want to be legal.

As far as lions go, I will offer my opinion though. Your chance of needing protection from one of them is next to nothing. You'd have a better chance of being abducted and stuffed into a UFO by aliens. :shocked2: I grew up on a ranch in good lion country and have lived near good lion country all of my life. Have hunted them many times (alone, with mouth calls) and have had my share of close encounters with them in non hunting situations. They are not going to bother you... probably not even if you pester or wound one of them. To just shoot at one in a chance encounter is a bad idea IMO. They deserve better.

If you want a real danger to worry about and maybe need back up for, worry about the two-legged varmints you might run into alone when out hunting in this country now days.

In North Carolina, can't deer hunt with a BP pistol.

During the archery season and then the ML season no pistols can be carried at all.

Then during regular gun seasons pistols can be carried.

If I was going to carry a backup handgun because I felt I 'needed' to it sure wouldn't be a BP pistol...it would be a revolver like a .357mag, .41mag, .44mag, .45 Long Colt, etc.

I do all my hunting with Flintlocks and I carry a S&W 4" barreled .45 Long Colt revolver in a shoulder holster, alternating the chambers with .45 Long Colt 225grn JHPs and CCI .45 Long Colt birdshot cartridges.

In the Washington State regs for ML it reads,
(d) Muzzleloader hunters can carry a
handgun designed to be charged with
black powder only. It is NOT legal for
hunting or dispatching big game.

Above is a cut and paste.

I failed to mention that at the time of purchase I was only 20 (the primary reason my mom didn't like me going out alone was that I was "still young"). Obviously not old enough to buy a non-BP pistol. And I didn't want to push it by getting a BP revolver. Law enforcement in NE is a little more paranoid then they need to be (this can be good at times too). They just legalized concealed handgun permits this year. Not the last state I know but we certainly were hardliners for a while.

Which raises a point (or idea rather). For young hunters in my situation, going out alone with a BP pistol could be a rational choice for protection. Even if it is just to make noise to scare off a wondering big cat or bear (which is what I would try to do first if I had enough warning), or make a would-be assailant think twice about trying to jump the young pup coming out of the field after sunset. The bigger the bores are the more you tend get peoples attention. I didn't think much about people threatening me at the time, "I'm a young paratrooper that can whoop anybody that gets in my way." But a big cat that is a better hunter then me, your dang skippy I respect that animal. Respect it enough to carry two guns.

Warning side note off topic: I was in Baghdad when I was 19. Isn't it crazy that I went to war with machine guns and grenades before I bought my first beer and I now that I'm old enough STILL don't even own a modern pistol.

I`ll be carrying a Traditions 50 this year, as long as it loads from the muzzle it`s legal here in Mn. At least it was last year, nowdays it`s a good idea too checks the regs yearly.

"Warning side note off topic: I was in Baghdad when I was 19. Isn't it crazy that I went to war with machine guns and grenades before I bought my first beer and I still don't even own a modern pistol.'

It is a strange world we live in anymore...thank you for your service to your country.

I was ML hunting in Nat Forest land in Vt. one year when I had to alter my hunt. Perfect conditions, six inches of new powder too.During an hour's walk, I cut fresh sow and cub track about 3 times, 10 coyote tracks as well as 1 larger canine track. All very fresh. Let's see, that's a dozen predators and the chances of me seeing a deer were slim to none. I got out of there, just didn't feel right.
I predator hunt here during the Winter and it's amazing to see what comes in.
I rarely set foot in the woods without some type of backup,even if it's a .22.

Mechanical noise is often the best way to scare off dangerous animals. Banging pots and pans, or garbage can lids, works very well for bears and cats. Yelling and waiving your arms to make you silhouette appear much bigger than you really are will also scare off many dangerous animals. Don't hesitate to growl as loud as you can. And, if they growl at you, growl right back. I use this successfully to deal with strange agrressive dogs all the time.

white buffalo said:
PA even allows CCW during archery season :shake: :v ...............bob

Most states will. In fact there are a few cases of tickets for carrying during archery season getting overthrown as CCW laws are often written to supercede other laws. The Texas CHL laws are pretty clear.

It gets dicey in southern New England. Even if you have a CCW, I get the impression that it is forbidden anyways.

At times, I do get sick of living in Massachusetts.

It makes no difference if I am hunting, I always carry and have my pemit on hand. It's not animals I am concerned about. Well, maybe it is.

It's not legal in NY to carry a handgun during the special big-game seasons (bow & m/l). If I am small-game hunting with a smoothbore I frequently carry a pistol (my S&W M-14 is better for squirrels than messing them up with shot).

We have black bear and coyote, neither of which concern me overly much, and I'd still prefer any of my my m/l to a pistol for mt. lion so I don't understand the concern there (especially as I'd have to drop a long-gun to draw a pistol??). Maybe if you were elbow deep cleaning a deer and one approached? Saturday I arrowed a deer at dusk and was holding a penlight in my teeth cleaning it when a couple coyotes starting calling in the creek-bed maybe 200 yards away. I can tell you I picked up my pace at tad.

The thing I truly worry about walks on two legs and approaches you smiling. Animals behave as is their nature without treachery or evil. Man is unpredictable.

I carry a badge that allows me to pack heat. I don't though while in the field for ML season. I'd rather not be a situation where there might be doubt about my intentions with the handgun.

I pack my old army with a conversion cylinder in it. I pack it loaded the old fashioned way during bp season.It's usually on my hip while hunting off of the home place.

Back