• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying a pistol while hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
white buffalo said:
PA even allows CCW during archery season :shake: :v ...............bob

Does it??? Here I thought I was breaking the regs. :shocked2:

I've hunted serious brown bear country up here for over 30 years and been charged four times now. The most recent was last year during the ML deer season. Haven't yet needed to "finish the deal" with charging bear though in each case the charge ended at between 20 and 30 yards. I wasn't carrying a backup when charged last year in ML season, but have given serious thought to carrying a modern revolver this year . I usually do any other time I'm wandering the hills, so it's not all that big of a decision. Just more weight and hassle.

I got charged last year to Brown Bear, back at sultry, big male, bought 900pds. Thought it was a herd of deer coming through the alders, came straight for me so I popped of my 1911 and he stopped to look me over before resuming the charge and forcing me to fire right in front of him, brought him to a stop and he thought it over and left. Anyway,not sure a handgun of any caliber will stop these monsters before they could reach you. A good friend just had to kill a sow chargeing him with three cubs while on his goat hunt and it took three shots from his 375h&h (F&G says cubs were almost full grown).

Live in Wyoming for 11 years and there folks still carry firearms of all makes on there persons and exposed in there trucks, year round. Mt lions come into town every year and prowl around the grade schools. Game warden gives lectures every year to the public about lion confrontations based on past persons runnins and they strongly advise to fight the animal as they(mt lions) are easily discouraged if the have to struggle for a kill. Sorry, kinda got off the subject! Wes

I carry an old Virginia Dragoon .44 mag when hunting. Wyoming only has a ML season in a few areas so I go out with the supository rifles.

I carry the .44 because it is legal to take big game in this state with it and it gives me a legal second shot. I have never used it for a second shot but have used it, with .44 special loads, to pop a snowshoe or two for the camp pot.

bob243 said:
white buffalo said:
PA even allows CCW during archery season :shake: :v ...............bob

Does it??? Here I thought I was breaking the regs. :shocked2:

just passed it this year, but it has to be the gun you carry fer protection and not a revolver if i'm not mistaken....lots of grey areas in the PA hunting regulations :shake: :v ..............bob

Being as I hunt in Jefferson and Franklin (Metherson and Cranklin) Counties in Missouri, which are two of the worst counties in the country for meth use and production, I carry a 9mm with me in the woods and in my car at all times. (CCW is legal without a permit on your own property and in your car in MO.)

4 legged critters around here are not dangerous, but the two-legged ones will kill you for the change in your pocket and not remember it 10 minutes later. Family of mine have run people out of outbuildings several times and torched a camp where they were cooking the stuff and living. Only a matter of time before somebody gets killed.

Here's my read on this. You're hunting with, I presume, a large caliber BP rifle, which should kill a cat stone dead. If a cat is somehow attacking you in such a way that you miss with that rifle shot or don't have an opportunity to shoot, I'm not sure you're going to get much chance to use anything else before it's eating your lunch for you. Never having been in hand to paw combat, I'm not sure which weapon I'd want.

That said, if it makes your mom worry less and it's legal, carry it. Thanks for your service, and stay safe.

The reason for carrying a sidearm while hunting has to do with 2-legged varmints, not the 4 legged kind. Most people just think its politically correct to admit that.

I have been shot at and missed, shot at and hit, threatened at gun point, and threatened by armed men, in the field when I was absolutely doing everything legal, and where I could legally be. I have had men checking my camp without coming into the fire or being friendly at all. My having a sidearm has saved my bacon more times than I care to mention. There are far too many people who think hunters are chickens flying into a stew pot, and only need to be plucked. If you happen to be hunting private land with permission, when the land is posted " NO Hunting " by the owner to keep locals off his land, you are much more likely to be a target of theft or vandalism, and assault.

I hunt Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, Miller, and Chariton counties in Missouri. I have found evidence of Meth production in Washington and Chariton counties, pot fields on private land in another, and I had a guy with a cabin threaten to kill me a year ago for shooting on my own property in Washington county. The guy cooking the meth in Chariton county is in jail. I called the Meth Task Force on that case myself. I have a guy that has discussed how much fun it would be to shoot me while holding a 12 guage on my own property that just pled out so he could keep the charges low enough to get his gun rights back 7 years after he gets off paper. He is supposed to be sending me a 500$ check according to the judge. His buddy the meth cook is still running his mouth, but he has learned to do it from his truck and to step on the gas when he does. So much for the known sh$theads in the woods with me all the time!
There are groups hiding out in the big woods cooking dope all the time. They may have been up on meth laced with excess lithium to make it even more debilitating than just the speed for three or four days. I will let you figure out if I am packing when I am out.
It is the times we live in I guess. Since I called the law on the guy threatening people with a 12 guage, I have about 5 hostiles that may or may not be in the woods with me every hunting season. The situation is crazy, but I am free and over 21. If they get me, they will get me. Not some sissified guy too afraid to walk the quiet hills responsible for his own safety. In the end, all they can do is kill me, but I will go down being free, of age, and firmly responsible for my own safety!
I live in Metherson and hunt Methington! You figure it out!

Regarding some of the earlier posts, I don't think I'd carry a bp pistol for self defense as a general rule. I'm sure it would be better than no sidearm, but I think its potential disadvantages are too many.

Wow,

This has turned into a fascinating thread. A lot of food fer thought - never carried a pistol when bp hunting, mebbe I should. 'scuse ta buy one, anyhow...

Spot

I carried a 3rd Model Dragoon loaded with 250 grain REAL's over 40 grains of 3f for years. I carried a 50 Kentucky loaded with 60 grains of P under a 385 before that. I only ever needed a pistol once, and the 250 REAL worked perfectly when I did. A nice little 36 Remington replica makes a very nice cap and ball camp gun that is not hard to carry. If you hunt long and hard, there used to be 9 shot 36 out there also.

This has turned into a great thread, I am glad I started it. Thanks for all the input. The stuff about the dope makers is enlightening. If anything I hope that those particular posts raise awareness, they have for me. My "emergency" gear won't just be for bad weather or a slip of the knife any more.

I've only been hunting with a M/L for about a year, now, and that's been for deer and wild hogs. While I don't know the precise wording of the laws regarding it in my state, I know that I will carry either a 1911 .45 ACP, or a .45 Colt S/A revolver with stout handloads when I'm in the woods. There are enough varmints out there, or either type, that it's just good sense to carry a backup.

I hunt some pretty wild country in the Oregon Cascades, and when I'm in the field I carry a side arm even when hunting with a center fire rifle.Will I ever need it? Prob. not, but if I do I'll have it.
You never know! I might have to fight off a pack of wild women. :wink:

Please take a good read of what paulv has to say on this topic. While my experiences have not been any where close to what he describes (at least not since I left the Marine Corps), it is indeed the 2 legged variety of animal that worries me. And - the illegal activities that criminals conduct in the woods. I am speaking of people that grow MJ specifically and do not take kindly to other people finding their plots. I have an aquaintance who is a game warden and the training these folks get has a large focus on real violent criminals - not just posachers and the opportunistic hunter. The bad guys are every where so be prepared. Also - ferrell cats are not welcomed where I hunt and I am not going to hammer one with a .50 when a .22 will do the job.

My circumstances are very similar to gmww. I live in the same state and also carry a badge and an off duty weapon. When hunting with a muzzleloader I carry a ROA for unanticipated difficulties.

Ogre

Back