• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caucasian Miquelet "Cossack" Pistol & Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Armenia, there really isn't a market for old guns. Everyone is buying any AK they can get their hands on in preparation for looming threat from Azerbaijan. I'm not in the right circles in Russia for those kinds of things now since they had gun law reforms. It is now illegal for anyone other than yourself to have possession of your gun for any period of time, including letting your friend/spouse/child give it a go at the range. Collectors are very private and paranoid similar to how Bobi described in Bulgaria. I did have a chance to meet with Max Popenker (THE authority on Russian small arms and author of modernfirearms.net) a couple months ago, and when I was asking about this stuff he was telling me the rich oligarchs buy whatever they want and get around the laws no problem. He used to work for Kalashnikov Concern and with the St. Petersburg Artillery Museum and told me that there are more than a few private collectors who rival the museums, but unless you're in their social circles, good luck.
Interesting...thanks....

This is a fascinating discussion! I can only wish some of these works of art could be imported to the US...
sometimes interesting species surfacing here and there ....

Screenshot (267).png

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1053538808

Thanks!! I also did a search using "Miquelet" and came up with 12 examples... Some of them were very expensive!
or if you want something new you can always order Miquelet rifle or pistol from Loyalist Arms in Canada, wait time would be about a year but with the price range of $500-$700 you still way below Miquelets from Rifle Shoppe

91369739_2963443773690849_5426952329687465984_n.jpg
1957823_600027340097604_4593591576062625743_o (1).jpg

This is a fascinating discussion! I can only wish some of these works of art could be imported to the US...
There are examples in the USA, they just tend to be very pricey. Have to keep your eyes peeled at auctions, gunbroker prices are astronomical. But our resident Circassian gunsmith @peserey can build you a new one HIS WEBSITE had them listed before

sometimes interesting species surfacing here and there ....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/105353880
I saw that a few days ago, interesting Spanish lock on what is probably a North African gun.

Did you sign up?
As soon as I learn how to read the local language... მალე არ მოხდება!

A beautiful gun that was mislabeled as a Moukhala just went for auction in Belgium, was hoping it would go cheap but some other folks must have correctly identified it as it went for more than $2200 including the buyers fees

belgium.jpg
belgium4.jpg
belgium5.jpg

could possibly be Persian as well

Wonderful photos in the thread as always. @cyten has quite the enviable journeys and encounters. Also happy to hear that @peserey occasionally builds miquelets, I should get in contact with him again sometime. Even if I were able to find and afford the works of those Caucasian smiths, I don't think I could smuggle them in here.

Wonderful photos in the thread as always. @cyten has quite the enviable journeys and encounters. Also happy to hear that @peserey occasionally builds miquelets, I should get in contact with him again sometime. Even if I were able to find and afford the works of those Caucasian smiths, I don't think I could smuggle them in here.
He is in Ankara as I know

REF: Post #263: Interesting gun. An Algerian stock with a Spanish lock, and (IMO) what appears to be a Moroccan barrel. The multiple barrel bands are also made in Moroccan style. Agree with Cyten, overall, a North African gun. I've seen one other North African gun with a Portuguese lock.

Rick

Yes, Thanks Cyten for the photos and other informative information during your travels. Much appreciated.

Rick

Cyten said: "A beautiful gun that was mislabeled as a Moukhala just went for auction in Belgium, was hoping it would go cheap but some other folks must have correctly identified it as it went for more than $2200 including the buyers fees".

That certainly is a beauty. WOW !!! In that condition, it would likely have gone for more in the States. To me, the decoration on the stock, lock, and even the barrel look Persian. Would take further hands-on study. Especially the barrel. One possibility is that it was built by a Caucus gunsmith for a customer of Persian origin. It's believed by many collectors that the "basic style" of the Caucasian guns originated from Persian designs. I've always believed this. Trouble is, there are so few genuine, all-Persian made guns to study. In the case of this gun, if it could later be determined to be Persian, than the sale price would be considered a steal.
Unfortunately, if that $2,200.00 USD included the buyer's premium, that IMHO would be a very fair price for this gun. Would likely go for $1,000.00 more here in the States. Just never been able to purchase Caucasian made guns, blades, accessories, etc. cheaply.

Rick

...It's believed by many collectors that the "basic style" of the Caucasian guns originated from Persian designs...

Very likely could be the case, Iran (Safavid Empire) had control and influence over the Caucasus for a long time
Islamic_Gunpowder_Empires.jpg

This is an illustration of a Persian soldier circa 1600
Persian_Musketeer.jpg

I forgot to mention the Khirimis that were on display in the Yerevan museum were used during the Russo-Persian War 1826-28
325527-argishti.jpg

There was a Khirimi that sold on gunbroker some time ago that had an interesting feature I hadn't seen before. The side plate was also flash hole pick holder.
1152-1.jpg

The barrel is dated 1156, which comes out to 1743-1744 by our calendar
1152.jpg

And an interesting wall gun, I dont think I've posted before.
wallgun.jpg

I have only seen one other Khirimi wall gun which was in the Dagestan National Museum in Makhachkela, but it was not as long as this one. Also, funny to me that it has sling slots. Cant imagine carrying this over the shoulder...

Last edited:
That's the longest barreled Khirimi I've ever seen.
On that theme I've had a long swamped oct barrel, I think Ex Major Corry haul for years its approximately 58 cal no loops at all but clear wide octagonal twist barrel big rude rear sight but no Foresight no evident marks . Well Ide made a large size Matchlock lock years ago in Adelaide .So decide to stock it up as an Elizabethan caliver, pure whim no purpose other. Since it had no loops I made bands that formed hidden flanges these I drilled for loops . The whole affair like it was got up in haste sort of munitions grade thinking . The bore being quite good considering if its great weight rendering it useless to hunt with .needing a rest but serving as a curio & no loss to our study . But mayhap the long barrel Khirimi has some relationship ? just took a photo with a yard stick its 45"long barrel and you can see the bands that formed loops What this does for our study ?No Idea but would seem related so perhaps worthy of mention.
Regards Rudyard
Pic to follow

1719262438915.png

1719262427437.png

Last edited:
Back