• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Char Material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Cotton right out of the field" :huh:

Does this work? I aint never tried that!!
I have thought about cotton balls, 100% cotton ones of course, but have never tried it to much other stuff to use.

I will have to try it now.

Take care

Smiley :peace:

Yep!!.... I had a feller give me a "gunny sack" full of field cotton complete with "some debris",.... charred thet stuff up, and she works "GREAT"!! :applause: ::

YMHS
rollingb

don't know why i never thought of thet :master: ,my uncle grows cotton i guess i'm gonna have to pick a sack full after harvest next year :thumbsup: ::

Ghost, what is the secret to using punk wood char? I have tried it but have trouble getting a spark to take hold. Does the type of wood matter? I am not sure what mine started out as--it is just a naked upright dead trunk with alot of punky wood left (was probably either a gum or oak). Maybe I did not char it long enough, but it looks good....also had trouble getting the size of pieces 'optimum' (they are small)...

Mike, I've used char wood a couple times and here is what I know; I used an old rotting maple log, maple will break up into little squares, put it in a tin and char it just like cloth...wait till the smoke stops before taking it off the fire. When I wanted to light it I put several peices into the lid of a tin and shot the sparks into the bunch. That was the only way I could get a spark to catch. I didn't think the char wood was very good for catching a spark but it did get a lot hotter that the cloth did.

wait till the smoke stops before taking it off the fire.

A word of caution for those that don't know, wait until it's cooled down before opening any char making can, otherwise all your efforts will go up in flames...

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Well said, Musketman. I took it for granted that everyone already knew that. I am at your mercy :master: :thumbsup:

Well said, Musketman. I took it for granted that everyone already knew that
Yeah, well I know that NOW :eek: but I sure didn't the first time I tried making char tinder- almost lost an eyebrow and half a mustache when I peeked to see how done it was. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

vic

The first time I made char cloth...I used a old tee-shirt that was laying around.... NOT 100% cotton. All I got for my effort was a bunch of Crispy critters, Crunchy wafers, Black pieces of plastic, Know what I mean Vern? :crackup: :crackup:

Well said, Musketman. I took it for granted that everyone already knew that
Yeah, well I know that NOW :eek: but I sure didn't the first time I tried making char tinder- almost lost an eyebrow and half a mustache when I peeked to see how done it was. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

vic

Vic, I too did that, it goes up quickly once all that oxygen hit it...

Almost as fast as FFFFg... :D

You never really get use to the smell of your hair burning... :crackup:

I've always used patch material/ticking for[url] char-cloth...in[/url] fact after I pre-cut/make my patches, I char some, and then they are pre-cut pieces of char...just the right size. Just made some today in fact.

I've also found that some real fine, dried grass that has gone to seed, harvested in late summer and well dried "on the vine", shredded up will catch a spark as-is, non-charred...so in my "kit" I carry char-cloth, fine dried grass and some shredded cedar bark. I do carry a burning glass...but I can't get the darn thing to work at night!

:curse:

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
Back