• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charging squirrels!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nursing a cold for a few days now I was itching to get out.
Not used the Pedersoli trade gun thingy for months.
I used about 60gns of fine powder and about 1&1/8oz#5 shot. Skychief load.

It was not long and we were into squirrels.

While I was reloading a stoat appeared and ran off with one of the squirrels!
Anyway, one more shot.

It was good to get out with my first flinchlock again. It has a fast lock and is powerful.
The #5 shot worked well fending off the charging squirrels.

Nursing a cold for a few days now I was itching to get out.
Not used the Pedersoli trade gun thingy for months.
I used about 60gns of fine powder and about 1&1/8oz#5 shot. Skychief load.
View attachment 96620
It was not long and we were into squirrels.
View attachment 96621
View attachment 96622

While I was reloading a stoat appeared and ran off with one of the squirrels!
Anyway, one more shot.
View attachment 96623
It was good to get out with my first flinchlock again. It has a fast lock and is powerful.
The #5 shot worked well fending off the charging squirrels.
Good to see you out. Take care of that cold.

Heck ya, man! i still can't fathom that y'all have gray squirrels over there. We have them here too, just not in the area i currently live in. I think last time you posted about squirrels i noticed it was a gray then as well. But charging...sounds like a case of self defense. No doubt you were in fear for your life....🤣

Heck ya, man! i still can't fathom that y'all have gray squirrels over there. We have them here too, just not in the area i currently live in. I think last time you posted about squirrels i noticed it was a gray then as well. But charging...sounds like a case of self defense. No doubt you were in fear for your life....🤣
Yeah some fool back in the 1800's thought it would be a good idea to catch some of your greys, put them on a boat and tip them out over here.
The only thing is not only do they thrive to near plague proportions and destroy forests they also brought a pox that our native red squirrel has no immunity too. I never see a red squirrel now!
Yes sir, their cunning ninja like stealth and lightening fast reactions make for intense action sometimes. Never does a man feel more alive than after emerging from a forest after an intense engagement with squirrels!

Thanks for posting this. Always enjoy reading/watching folks from other places experiences. If you wish to fully recreate the Missouri squirrel hunt, I can send a bottle of chiggers and seed ticks. First hard frost coming in a few weeks. Much better time to sit in a bunch of hickory trees while squirrels cut the hulls off.

Again, thanks for posting!

Most of the time she is a pain in the azz hence why she is often tied to me. Every now and then though she will drag or dig out some wounded critter so she comes along.
More of a pet really.
LOL. My absolute favorite pain in the azz is my avatar. The only critters he can find is the occasional skunk the wanders into suburbia.

Back