• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chris: Oerter ~ Chris: Spring : 1775

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
On Mel Hankla's website you can see pics from the Chris: Oerter ~ Chris: Spring : 1775.
This grand rifle has just surfaced and by many has been deemed the most important discovery in the Kentucky rifle world in many years.
I would like to see that rifle with an flintlock.
MUZZEL_BLAST_COVERa.jpg

oerterfulla.jpg

Here is the link:
Link

Go to 'Original Rile,than Humble Rifle and scroll down to Oerter

:hatsoff:

I have seen English locks on Christian Springs inventories but I have never seen a Christian Springs Rifle with one on it until now. That is a cool rifle.

Yes sir. You are right. The only thing wrong with that lock on that rifle is that it is not original as Oerter built it. It is a later trade out. The flat faced English lock on the RCA Oerter rifle is of later manufacture than the rifle. Take a peek at it and see if you agree. :thumbsup:

I still believe it is a replacement lock from a later date, or so I have been told by experts. What information do you have on that rifle?

The info I have is from Eric Kettenberg's site and the Muzzle Blasts article. I hadn't heard the lock might be a replacement or it didn't register when I read it. It would likely still be a period replacement before percussioning the gun, and the lock dates to the timeframe of the rest of the gun.

Though I'd point out that you two (Rich and Cooner)appear to be talking about two rifles. One in RCA with a supposed replaced lock and the recent discovery posted with this thread with the original signed Perkins lock converted to percussion.
:)

I think we're talking past each other too. :hmm:

The one in the pix above has what I assume is the original lock but has been altered to percussion. The one in RCA No. 44 is the one that I was told had the complete original lock changed out for a late English lock of about 1790-1810 era. Christian Oerter signed and dated this rifle on the barrel 1775 which would predate the existing lock by at least 15 years. I hope I said it better this time.

:hmm: I'm looking at the October cover of Muzzle Blasts and wondering why, if that lock is original to the gun, Mr. Oerter relieved the recess for a much different finial on the rear of the lock. The inlet is shaped for one with much rounder tail. The other inlayed pieces are crisp and tight - unlike the lock. It's definately a flint conversion, but I'd say there's a case for it not being original to the rifle.

Stumpkiller said:
:hmm: I'm looking at the October cover of Muzzle Blasts and wondering why, if that lock is original to the gun, Mr. Oerter relieved the recess for a much different finial on the rear of the lock. The inlet is shaped for one with much rounder tail. The other inlayed pieces are crisp and tight - unlike the lock. It's definately a flint conversion, but I'd say there's a case for it not being original to the rifle.

I would say this lock is original as them come.

CopyofImage_77791.jpg

Chris Laubach

By the way, note that flat-tipped screw coming through the nose of the lockplate.

I would say this lock is original as them come.

CopyofImage_77791.jpg

Chris Laubach

Have to admit it looks "tighter" in that image than the one on the cover of MB. Must be the lighting??? Still a little sloppy compared to the other inlays but that could be due to having been removed a gozillion times.

The lock is entirely, utterly and absolutely 100% original to the gun. Wood movement and shrinkage does a lot. There a quite a few pieces of missing ribbon as well and the box stands pretty proud. This gun is essentially as untouched as they come - a true 'attic' piece.

Stumpkiller,
I agree 100% with Eric and Chris. On the other hand if you ever see a two-hundred year old, well used rifle with a tight fitting lock that is when you should suspect either a replaced lock or replaced wood around it!

Every time a lock is cocked the wood around and under the tail of the lock takes a load -- even is the screws are tight. When the lock fires there is a sharp impact on the wood especially above the lock tail. Over years of use this, combined with wood shrinkage and wear from taking the lock in and out makes some gap completely normal.

Gary

Back