• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf465

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never shot at a rendezvous shoot before and have been asked to participate at one this spring. When I shoot here at home, I basically shoot in the front yard. I have hot running water and everything I need to clean the barrel of my flintlock within a few steps. What are some recommendations for keeping the thunder stick barrel clean at the range with minimum mess and equipment?

I load in a manner that does not require me to swab the barrel between shots, I use a liquid lube and once back at "camp" use a couple patches and do a simple cleanup until I get home, this is how I do it when just showing up for the day, if camping I do a full cleaning.

When I did swab between shots I carried several cleaning patches in my bag, I would dampen them and use until I needed to swap out for a cleaner patch and repeat.

lonewolf465 said:
I have never shot at a rendezvous shoot before and have been asked to participate at one this spring. When I shoot here at home, I basically shoot in the front yard. I have hot running water and everything I need to clean the barrel of my flintlock within a few steps. What are some recommendations for keeping the thunder stick barrel clean at the range with minimum mess and equipment?

Here is a video that I made. I hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

I haven't the chance to shoot at home, so usually shoot at a club in the morning, or early afternoon, and only come back late at night at home to have my weapon cleaned. It never turned to be a problem, so I would say waiting the night to clean the mess is not an issue.
When I cannot clean at night (say because we've got invitees at home - yes, that happens...), I do use lot of WD40 "regular" (red) to "fill" my revolver and let it that way until the day after when I will clean it. Never saw any drawback - unless cleaning such a greased gun is less funny...

I usually just clean as soon as I get home or that day. Next day at the latest but that is rare. Are you spending the whole weekend there are returning home that day?

Yeah, you could do that. I have. Gotten a bit thirsty and had a minor case of cotton mouth though. :haha:

For cleaning, after firing, put a tooth pick in the touch hole - of flinter - pour some warer down the barrel, let it sit a bit, then put thumb over the barrel and slowly tip end of end, butt up, then swing to muzzle up. I do this twice, then if a rifle, I'll out a brsuh down the bore then rinse again.

Remove tooth pick when tools/jags etc. are down the bore ...

Clean when you get home - a day or several will not cause any problems. If you feel you must clean, swab with wet patches (cold water works fine), dry and lube as usual.

Not yet. The longer I spend between firing and cleaning was one day+night so far.

Mooman76 said:
Maybe you should specify, a total cleaning or cleaning out the fouling every few shots.
Good point,I failed to mention I am simply looking for a quick way to clean fouling between shots as I shoot all day. I think my question has been answered. Thanks for all the responses. Lone Wolf

water bottle,tooth pick,Lee valley lube.
works for me.
shooting 2f Swiss in a round radius rifling bbl.
it was a 2 patch clean job.
water bottle partly frozen Today at 20 deg.
t shirt patches-qtips for odd nooks and crannies.

A buddy recently turned me on to using disinfectant wipes for cleaning. They work like magic.

I simply cut a piece for using on the jag and it cleans like nothing I have ever used.

Fleener

fleener said:
A buddy recently turned me on to using disinfectant wipes for cleaning. They work like magic.

I simply cut a piece for using on the jag and it cleans like nothing I have ever used.

Fleener

:rotf: Lysol...kills 99.9% of smoke laden germs :rotf:

Back