• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chain

Pilgrim
Reaction score
How do you guys clean at the range for load development? Thank you

After 4-6 shots and the loading gets a little hard, I wire brush the bore and dump the debris. Then I just continue shooting and the fouled bore actually simulates a hunting condition. I've never encountered a difference in an "unshot" bore and a "shot" bore that was wired brushed.... so why introduce wet patches that could interfere w/ ignition?.....Fred

Between different loads, I just run a damp patch using both sides followed by patch both sides with 91% alchohol then a dry patch. Matter of fact thats what I'm going to do today. Gonna see if there is a difference between Jojoba oil,Hoppes #9 and TOTW Mink Oil. 5 rounds each with 70 grns of KIK 3fff.

dry swab or 91% alcohol on a patch and jag when it gets dificult loading
just enough alcohol on the patch to take out some fouling, not enough to make things wet inside the barrel or clean it proper

After the first round, I load and then run a damp patch down the bore (on top of the loaded round) followed by a one or two dry patches. This gives me a clean bore to shoot through. I do this after every shot. When I change loads I run an alcohol soaked patch down the bore and follow it with a couple of dry patches. Clean the touch hole or fire a couple of caps to clear the fire path and continue shooting.

I shoot until I think I'm feeling too much resistance during loading, primarily at the breech. I'll use a damp patch or two followed by a dry one and keep on shooting. Some combinations foul more than others, so I tend to prefer the lesser fouling loads provided the groups are acceptable.

I swab between every shot with a spit patch. Spit on patch, run down bore, reverse dirty patch, run down again, load, shoot. Works for me.
Read Dutch's system for full explanation.

Spit is free and does the job. Be careful with a dry patch. Dry patches can lead to a stuck jag. I've done it once (learned my lesson) and have witnessed others in the same predicament. I don't usually swab between shots but I believe it is a good idea when developing loads.

Ghettogun said:
Spit is free and does the job. Be careful with a dry patch. Dry patches can lead to a stuck jag. I've done it once (learned my lesson) and have witnessed others in the same predicament. I don't usually swab between shots but I believe it is a good idea when developing loads.

Been doing it that way 40+ years, countless thousands of shots. No problemo.

I am Shooting 60 Grs BP (i.e. Goex 2F) at the range...with .570 PRBs w/.010 pre-lubed-TC patch.

I have tried both TC-#13 Bore Cleaner and believe it or not "Windex" as some folks suggest between shots.

Both seem to clean the bore fouling enough to prevent "difficult loading scenarios" but I have not yet determined if either is more beneficial than the other when trying to ascertain shooting accuracy and consistency.

I am still experimenting and learning.

I swab between every shot with an alcohol dampened cleaning patch. Swabbing is just that, down and up then discard the patch or turn it over and do it again but don't clean with it. There is always going to be a little water with the alcohol since it naturally attracts it, but since alcohol has a much lower boiling point it evaporates quickly leaving the bore dry for the next powder charge. That is why I suggest that if you use alcohol on your cleaning patches that they are just damp and not dripping. 91% rubbing alcohol is cheap and available at most grocery stores so it is fairly easy to come by. Run 2-3 of those patches down the barrel when you're done shooting and you'll have most of the powder fouling removed before you get home and do a complete cleaning with soap and water.

I swab between shots all along with home made Borebutter patches. I make them by taking a bunch of good quality cotton cleaning patches and add a fair amount of borebutter. I seal them in a zip-lock bag and put it on the dash of my truck in the Texas summer sun. They have an even coat much lighter than the store bought.

When I get to the range I degrease wipe the bore with clean dry patches. I then run one of my patches and flip it over and give it another pass. As I shoot I wipe the bore after each shot all day. There is never a build up as it's being removed on each shot. It works for me and these bore butter patches are very cheap. I have done them in the micro wave but go slow as they can be burned. Geo. T.

After 4-6 shots and the loading gets a little hard, I wire brush the bore and dump the debris.

That comment got by me yesterday. :doh: First, I'll say, whatever works for you, go fer it. However, the question involved shooting at the range. During an organized shoot, what you are doing could violate safety rules. Swinging your rifle around at the loading bench would be a big 'no-no' :nono: . Walking back to the firing line to do your dump would be OK but time consuming. And, pointless, IMHO. There are other, proven techniques that don't involve brushes, swinging, dumping, ect.

91% alcohol gets it clean, oil out, ready to shoot, every 10-ish shots (more to break the pattern then out of necissity), and it makes total clean up at home easier to swab it liberally before I head home from the range too....

I dampen my RB patches with "Shenandoah Valley Patch Lubricant and Bore Cleaner" and shoot the whole match without ever cleaning and I do clean up at the matches. It's great stuff and available from Midway.

For range use I like the CVA Barrel Blaster patches and follow up with a dry patch.
I have an aluminum "range rod" with a jag tip that makes between shot swabs easier.

I carry a small spray bottle filled with four parts water and one part lestoil. I give the bore a couple of shots then swab dry with inch and a half squares of stout paper towels.

I just bought some jojoba oil and intend to try using it as a patch lubricant to see how it works. After you run your range test, please post the results. One of the posters suggested using neatsfoot oil as a lubricant and I want to give that a try also. If you include it in your test or have used it, please let me know how it works.

Right now, I am using the jojoba oil on my feet as an emolient. It seems to work pretty well there but I am anxious to see how it is as a patch lube.

Back