• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning: boiling water vs. solvents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CarolinaTKE said:
I really like that flushing system. Question: how does one remove the lock on a flintlock? I don't expect it to be as simple as field-stripping my M1911... I just purchased my first musket and I would like to be able to clean the entire weapon--I don't have a hooked breach, so I can't remove the barrel.

Removing the lock may actually be simpler than field-stripping your 1911. I can remove any of mine much faster than I can explain it.

Look on the stock opposite from the lock on your flintlock. There will be a couple (almost all guns use 2) of large screw heads directly across from the lock and in an area that would be covered by the lock if the lock was on that side. On most guns these screws are holding a sideplate (a brass or steel decorative & protective strap opposite the lock). Undo these screws - they are what a hardware store would call machine screws with the ends threaded for metal (in this case your lock) and not wood screws. If any of the screws are in fact wood screws, just put those right back in - wood screws are not holding the lock. With the machine screws out the lock is now unfastened from the gun. If the lock is a loose fit in the mortise, it will fall out if the gun is turned so the lock is on the underside - best to check on this with a blanket under the lock to keep it from hitting the floor. If it is a tight fit, do NOT try to pry it out. That would likely mar or chip out some wood around the lock mortise. If tight, rethread the screws into the lock but not all the way - leave them perhaps 1/16" out & push gently on them. That pressure should move the lock, likely enough to be able to undo the screws and lift the lock out. In some cases it may be necessary to gently tap on the partially loosened screws with something like the handle of a screwdriver to move the lock. If your gun has been exposed to unusually humid conditions (out in rain) & your stock is not well sealed, wait for any possible swelling to subside before trying to remove a tight fitting lock.

PS - removing your barrel is readily done whether hooked or not.

Thanks, Coot; that really WAS easy. I Rem oiled it and re-installed without any issues. It amazes me how simple the mechanism is on the lock.

Up here in New England, it depends on the time of year - I do alot of shooting in the winter, and if I use boiling water, it's cold by the time I walk the 50 feet from the house to the garage. If I started with cool water my cleaning bucket would freeze before I got the barrel in it!

Back