• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas77

36 Cal.
Reaction score
How many guys here actually take off the grips and throw their revolver in the dishwaher (I've heard that mentioned here), and/or put it in the oven to dry.

What's the most efficient way to completely clean.

If you like life as you know it, you better do it while your wife is at work! :rotf:
Craig

Not me..I do use hot soapy water, but from a teacup sized container...Hank

I used to do that with a Remington. I did first wet brush the bore and chambers but stuck it in the dishwasher for final cleaning. I'd pull it out while still hot and oil it inside and out. It worked great with no harm to gun nor machine. :grin:

As Coyote Joe says, run a patch or brush in each chamber and down the barrel. I may be the one who started that report here. I read it somewhere in the years I've been shooting a replica 1860 Army Colt. As Joe says, take it out hot and oil well. With the Colt, I take off the handles and detach the cylinder and barrel. Put them in the dishwasher straight up and down so lots of water will run through the barrel and chambers. Works for me. graybeard

Each to his own, I guess. But I don't see how the dishwasher can possibly clean inside trigger area. After shooting all day at a national shoot, I'll use a spray can of carburator cleaner with the long red tube and spray up in there till all the black gunk stops coming out. Then squirt some WD-40 up in there. Give the rest of the revolver a good wipe down. That'll do it till I get home and give it a complete teardown and a good scrubbing.

Might sound strange but, I really enjoy thoroughly cleaning my guns!

Not strange, I enjoy cleaning them as well I voluteer to clean my buddys new guns when they get them as well. As for the diswasher, I also dont see much of a point you are better off dropping the parts in a pot of boiling water.

MadBrad said:
Not strange, I enjoy cleaning them as well I voluteer to clean my buddys new guns when they get them as well. As for the diswasher, I also dont see much of a point you are better off dropping the parts in a pot of boiling water.
I've done that too. With the Colt types you pretty much have to dismantle the gun to remove the grips, so, indeed there would not be much point to the dishwasher. It does work well with Remingtons where just one screw removes the grips. It's amazing how well a dishwasher cleans the recess around the nipples, although I removed the nipples and cleaned them separately. :grin: Gotta go now, time to load the dishwasher!

I agree with NightWind. To me you have to use some pressure to clean out the cylinder well. I usually have to use several cleaning patches. Can't imagine the dishwasher doing it that good, but maybe I should try it.

When the wife is out for sure!

There must be a thousand posts on this forum about how plain water works great on black powder residue. The dishwasher sloshes a lot of water, under some pressure, into every nook and crannie of the revolver. It doesn't dirty the dishwasher nor cause any more problems than a plate covered with hardened egg yolk. Grease the arbor when you take the pistol out of the washer. The detergent will clean out the grease. graybeard

put 'em in the dishwasher, eh?

well...I suppose it might work if I can get my mouth open wide enough...

doc

Quote: put 'em in the dishwasher, eh?

well...I suppose it might work if I can get my mouth open wide enough...

ROFLMAO! :grin: :thumbsup:

Back