• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colts Dragoon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas77 said:
Exactly, math is one thing...but actual killing power in the field is another. Don't understimate the deadly round ball. :wink:

Especially from a big Dragoon or Walker :shocked2: .

Thanks Wick :) .

Dave

I have seen Red Deer killed by a.22rf,I would not try that myself unless I had to,[survival].Personaly I use a long arm,50,54 ,58 &62 all loaded with rb.I have put .44 rb straight through a 5 inch dia. hardwood tree,I have also had the 44 load fail to go through a 1 inch pine board at 25 yards. :idunno: Same load same Dragoon,I am not trying to razz you or put you down,we are talking about hunting not fishing where you can claim bragging rights for using light tackle.When I shoot at deer I aim to hit the front shoulder , it drops reds on the spot every time out to 50 yards.

A 7.5 or9 inch barrel is not quite long enough to build up much velocity ,1100 fps is about it .A 30 inch barrel on a rife will nearly double that with more powder of course, now that .44 rb will have that killing power.

Although I've never hand gun hunted, from what others tell me it's possible as long as you're up close (less than 40 yards) and have excellent shot placement and bring enough gun. I believe that the Walker might fall into that category, based upon testing that I've done with mine.

Revolver Guru and inventor of the famous .44 Magnum, Elmer Keith, hand gun hunted quite often. One of his outrageous feats was a kill at close to 600 yards with his S&W .44 Magnum with the lead gas-check Keith bullet he designed. Old Elmer did this with a 4" barrel :shocked2: . He and his hunting partner had to track the animal for a while, but it was felled by that shot. This adventure was well written about, and is in the annals of history. I don't know how fast that slug hit the animal at 600 yards. It was surely a crazy shot, and certainly not one I would ever recommend. But it did happen!

I write of this merely to illustrate what could be done by an expert. Most of us here (especially ME) aren't in that category :haha: .

At less than 40 yards when that round ball opens-up it will cause some damage to be sure. That would be my self-imposed limitation. Long shots for me require my rifle. Your mileage may vary :v

Dave

I read an article in a Gun magazine many years ago about hunting deer with a walker. The author kept his range to around 30-40 yards. He shot a nice little doe and put it down with one shot.

I would use a Dragoon and feel well armed.

Dan

They had the deer on the ground. I think Elmer was up on the Butte above the wounded deer. He walked his shot into the wounded deer. I have seen the energy calculated out. It seems the 240 Gr. Kieth Bullet would have had the force of a 60 Gr. 25 ACP at 25 yds. :hmm: Elmer was well known in the west. He was a fine fellow who liked to tell interesting stories. :wink:

Very little difference between the Dragoon models and the Walker, aside from 10 fewer grains of powder capacity, and a loading lever that stays put. I would "fear no deer" using either one. :thumbsup:

I've never heard that side of the story :idunno: .

Did anyone out there document it different than Elmer, and is it available on the net?

Up close though and into the vitals is the way to hand gun hunt :thumbsup: .

Dave

I plan to use my Whitneyville Dragoon when the season opens up this year and don't have any doubt in it's ability to take any size deer around here.

Chad

Is that the model previous to the 1st model Dragoon? They used Walker parts for them too, right?

Somehow, I just can't see where 50-60 grains of the holy black pushing a .44 ball faster than the speed of sound WOULDN'T get the job done, if the shot was placed well! :haha: :)

Dave

I agree. It will do a good job. I think the writters who say a heavy loaded C&B pistol will only work on small game and very little deer, are the same guys who say one needs a super-duper mag. for deer season.

Years ago I shot a deer with a 5 1/2" bbl 1860 colt copy and the wound was something to behold!
P

Dave that was sooo many years ago. Yes at the time everyone with a .44 beat that story to dust. There was a number of stories in the Gun Mags. at the time on this subject. I don't know where to find them now. :shake:

The story about Elmer keith is well known. Apprently keith was acting as a Hunting Guide, The fella he was guiding had previously wounded the deer. It was going to escape and the he did not have a rifle in hand, Elmer used the 44. I think it took him a couple of shots but he dropped the deer before it topped a ridge and was lost. If I am correct keith stated he would not have shot at the animal had it not already been wounded and possibly lost.

Good luck with your revolver!

Dan

smokin .50 said:
Is that the model previous to the 1st model Dragoon? They used Walker parts for them too, right?

Dave

Yes,The Whitneyville Dragoon is the one that was made with left over Walker parts but it has the new style loading lever,shorter barrel and cylinder. only around 250 or so were made before what we know as the 1st model Dragoon began production with all new parts.

Chad

Yes exactly! At the muzzle .38+p. THATS 158 GRN RB. AT 1000FPS> 1100FPS. No magic,no smoke & mirrors or bs.

smokin .50 said:
Who is making the replica, Uberti, Pietta, or both?

It's a Uberti, the most visual part is the way the grip curves into the frame same as the walker instead of being straight up and down.
Dragoon1.jpg
[/img]

Latest posts

Back