• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Confused about cleaning and leaving charge in gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, thanks to all on the previous thread on getting started. For you hunters out there, one thing that made me wonder (based on some comments I've seen) is:

When hunting, don't cap the gun until you are ready "in the blind". Which is fine from a safety standpoint. However, after a days worth of hunting, if its time to go home, do you discharge the rifle? Or if you have a couple of more days of hunting, just decap and store for the next days hunt? If this is true, then how long can this practically be applied (a day, a week etc.)?

Secondly, what is the interval of cleaing a weapon? If, for instance, a person goes hunting and shoots the rifle, is it necessary to clean the weapon completely before going out the next day?

Shedding some light on these subtleties would be great - thanks again!

Analog said:
Secondly, what is the interval of cleaing a weapon? If, for instance, a person goes hunting and shoots the rifle, is it necessary to clean the weapon completely before going out the next day?

Good question, I will say only this, unlike the shotgun and rifle hunters, you only have one shot, might as well make it the best shot you can...

I also realize that some guns do shoot better fouled than when clean...

analog, well opinions will vary on leavin the gun loaded ,,some don't some do,,I do, flinter i had fer the 9 pt,was loaded fer over a week, smoothbore i usin now was loaded fer 10 days,and fired right off,,depends alot on weather temp. what you feel comfortable with,,long as you KNOW it will fire,,based on load expierence etc. one thing that you won't get different opinions on is cleaning...after each use(firing) clean it! just like you was puttin it away,when yer done load it just like ya would first time out,,,course that's just me..RC

Once you shoot, the clock starts to tick. The chemistry left behind after powder burns is corrosive. How corrosive depends on humidity and temperature, but there are acids and salts working on the bore, regardless.

If you plan on using the gun next day after you fire it and complete clean isn't possible swab the barrel out with windshield washer fluid well, dry patch well to dry wipe the lock area with same fluid and then you can reload for next day. Wipe the bore with lubed patch after loading.
Some fellas use Hoppe's BP solvent.

If you are careful to keep moisture out you can decap and continue to use the same load the next day.

What do I mean by careful? A piece of duct tape stuck on the end of the barrel to keep moisture out and I never-sieze the nipple threads then coat the cap/nipple with wax from a candle to assure its sealed. If I decap, some duct tape over the nipple hole and the hammer holding it down. Don't bring the gun in and out of the house (e.g. going from cold to warm/humid). Not a good idea anyway to leave a loaded gun around, and always tape a note to yourself on the lock so you won't forget and double load the next day.

If its been lousey rainy weather or I've been getting snow on the gun going through brush I'll not take a chance, fire the gun at the end of the day, clean it out w/hot soapy water, dry, then start fresh the next day.

I never leave the gun with a fowled barrel even overnight and sight in my hunting guns with clean barrels (swabbed clean between shots) so the first shot hits where its pointed.

Almost nothing about the care and feeding of muzzleloaders can be compared what you're probably used to with non-corrosive modern centerfires.

To me it's simple with muzzleloaders: if I shoot it, I clean it as soon as I get home.

Not after I've taken a shower, or had something to eat, or watched a ball game, etc...I unload the truck and immediately 100% clean, dry, and lube any muzzleloader I've shot that day...THEN I take care of myself.

Analog, you've got some good advice here. I always clean my rifle when I get home if I've fired it.

You can leave it loaded overnight. I once hunted in the snow for three days without firing, and it went off like a champ at the end of the third day. Experience with your own gun will be the best teacher here. Just don't bring it in to a warm cabin, or car, then out in the cold again. Condensation will dampen your powder.

If you wish to hunt with a fresh load the next day, just fire the gun at the end of the day into a safe backstop. Then clean. Good luck.

-SHOOEY!

To me it's simple with muzzleloaders: if I shoot it, I clean it as soon as I get home.

Roundball is right, if you care about your gun you will clean it as soon as possible.
As for leaving it loaded, I always leave my hunting rifles loaded,54 leman, 36 blueridge.
In fact I just did a frozen rifle test, shot it at -15, with my leman that had been loaded for two and half months. I benched it and my shot at 50yrds was dead center three inches high where I benched it to begin with.
I am very careful not to use a super greasy patch. So I have never had my blackpowder in my rifles go bad.
I load my 36 at the start of our small game season and it stays that way all winter. I shot a grouse this year in the head no problem after it had sat loaded for over a month.
:hatsoff:

Analog: The question about cleaning is based solely on chemistry. Black Powder, and the ascorbic acid that is the base of the substitute powders, contain chemicals that become very corrosive acids when combined with air and water- moisture from the air. Those acids eat steel. So we clean after ahooting.

Cleaning after each shot is based on how the gun performs. Each gun is different. The objective is to know where exactly that next shot is going to hit a target( animal) when you fire the gun. To do that, most find its better if they clean after each shot, so they are firing a cleaned gun. Others get away with shooting several shots before cleaning. The danger in not cleaning is weather related, so there can be no standard advise on this. Some barrels in some weather conditions are going to foul faster than other barrels in other weather conditions. The question for you, how do you know what your barrel is going to do( foul) until you find out that you can't seat that next ball or bullet down on the powder? Then its too late. You have a ball stuck half way down the barrel, and you either have to pull it out, then clean, or pour water, or cleaning fluid down the barrel to soak the patch, which in turn will probably soak the powder charge, so it won't fire, or will only burn partly making the ball go about half way to the target! Either way, you will need to pull the load, or shoot it out, then clean. So, why not clean each shot, accept the challenge of shooting a single shot, Muzzle Loading firearm that it is, and do it right? If you just want to challenge yourself as a hunter by shooting a single shot rifle, there are plenty of butt-stuffers made in single shot actions. You can just load one cartridge in your gun, instead of filling a magazine with ammo, for that matter.

So, ultimately, it comes down to asking yourself why you are shooting muzzle loaders in the first place. That is our traditionalists argument with the folks who want to shoot those new In-#@@#$ things, we don't talk about here, too. If you only are gitting into ML shooting so you can have a few more days to hunt deer in a " NL season ", in your state, that is a poor excuse for going to that trouble, and expense. That is why we don't talk about those guns here, and why we really don't care too much when clerks in gun stores that no longer carry any black powder, or supplies for traditional ML guns, tell these customers they don't have to clean the guns like traditional shooters do, they can use premeasured pellets rather than take the time to work up a load with loose powder, they can shoot modern pistol bullets in these plastic sleeves, and same all the dirt and trouble that comes if you use lead and cloth patches, and you can kill game out to 250 yds with these new fandangled firearms. Those guns will be rusting out within 2 years, the owners will be having trouble getting the gun to fire using anything, the bullets won't magically hit their target at those long ranges, and those pre-measured pellets may just NOT be the most accurate load for that gun, afterall. The gun goes into the junk pile, the owner goes back to shooting modern weapons, and the ML only season will eventually be left to those of us who continue to shoot traditional firearms, take the time to clean and load them properly, and like the race between the tortoise and the rabbit, the tortoise will win the race. Traditional guns have come and gone in waves over the past century, and I am sure they will come back again. Just the problems we hear about some of the new guns, from shooters using substitute powders convinces me that its only a matter of time when younger shooters will wise up, reject these guns, and go back to shooting traditional firearms. What we have to do is continue to hold our hands out in friendship, and be prepared to teach them how we do things. And, maybe as a group, find a way to make Black Powder more easy to acquire.

Decaping and leaving it loaded is how I do it. I recap each time out.

If I fire it, I clean it.

At the end of the season, I fire it to empty it and also to let me know if it would have worked if I needed it.

Clutch

I always carried a thin piece of wire. Twisty from a loaf of bread works well. Everytime I recapped a gun I got in the habit of poking the nipple just to make sure everything was clear before I put another cap on. I never experianced a misfire in the woods with my caplocks. (knock on wood)Would very carefully load the morning of openning day and the gun would stay that way till I got a shot.

I left mine loaded while I was in hunting camp, with a piece of leather over the UNCAPPED nipple. Never had a problem. Of course, when I got ready to go home, I fired the load and cleaned the rifle. Some knowledgeable shooters leave theirs loaded all season, with a feather in the touchhole or a cap cover of some kind over the uncapped nipple. 'Course, if you have kids at home it would be different.

I always load fresh for each day. I don't think it's mandatory, but it's just something that makes me feel more confident in the gun. Cleaning is best done as soon as possible after shooting even one shot. The salts don't do the barrel any good sitting in there.

These questions depend upon many variables.

If you shoot, clean it thoroughly; dry it and preserve the bore every time. I have seen many ruined guns because people treated them like they treated cartridge guns.

As to keeping a load in it, if I am staying in a hunting cabin in the woods and do not wish to make the sound of a shot to clear the gun and do not wish to learn about where my clean and cold barrel hits, I might remove the cap and place a bit of leather over the nipple and lower the hammer to keep moisture out of the charge. I will keep it in a cool place so that cabin heat does not cause condensation to form. If you do bring the gun into a warm place, the muzzle must be kept level or down for this reason. You can also put an oversized patch into just the end of the bore that you will notice when you pick the gun up for the next hunt. This will reduce moisture getting into the bore. (I often hunt and camp in swamps)

If going home to the wife and kids, I will fire the gun and clean it right there in the field. They are all responsible around guns, but you never know about the other kids that might come over...

I do have a silent ball discharger (CO2 ball remover) and a ball screw, but I like to keep learning where my gun is hitting.

CS

I cap mine when I get out of the truck. Remove the cap when I return to the truck. You never know when you will see game. Be prepared. I've left guns loaded 6 weeks with instantanoeus ignition. Of course I'm very careful about the weather. If hunting in snow fall or rain I would discharge and clean within 48 hours. One shot doesn't produce a lot of fouling. Takes about 15 minutes for a complete cleaning.

Back