• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting to musket caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not had it apart yet, but doesn’t the square hole in the hammer rest against a stop on the tumbler shank? I was going to use a washer that I filed a square hole in and slide it down the shank to the stop. The washer would never touch the lock plate.
Will advise on how it works out.
I would try a temporary shim before glueing anything.

I've done three conversions to musket caps.

All of them, I've had to bend the hammer, so the nipple is CENTER of the hammer nose and doesn't catch the hammer skirt
You didn't have to change the hammer, though? I would gladly switch all the nipples on my muzzleloaders to have the extra ignition of a musket cap.

What method did you use to bend the hammer?
I have a new 1842 Harpers Ferry .69 smoothbore whose hammer cup is off location some. I have been hesitant to heat and bend it because if I break it it may be almost impossible to get a replacement from Italy, based on their manufacturing problems from a big part of their skilled labor work force being killed by the China Virus.
I'd have my skilled gunsmith do it, he has knowledge of metal heating, etc., I'd be afraid to try myself! Then, I might make the metal so brittle, it would shatter the 1st time I tried it! 🥴

I'd have my skilled gunsmith do it, he has knowledge of metal heating, etc., I'd be afraid to try myself! Then, I might make the metal so brittle, it would shatter the 1st time I tried it! 🥴
I know a gunsmith who makes hammer-springs. Everyone at the local muzzleloading group wanted his information, when I got my flintlock Kentucky rifle back and told them that he did that for me. I'm pretty sure that he would be willing to do that for me. Luckily, I have a few common, cheap muzzleoaders to try it on first.

I've got a Navy Arms/Zoli Zouave that I bought used that came with both musket and regular nipples. No problems with using either one, the problem comes in when trying to find the less common musket caps. I usually order them by the thousand when they come into stock at Graf's or elsewhere.

I've got a Navy Arms/Zoli Zouave that I bought used that came with both musket and regular nipples. No problems with using either one, the problem comes in when trying to find the less common musket caps. I usually order them by the thousand when they come into stock at Graf's or elsewhere.
I wouldn't know; I'm still working on my first box of 1000 from Grafs.

Back