• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cooking Coffee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do either. Coffee with whole eggs is sometimes referred to as Swedish Coffee. Mix a couple of eggs (and shells) with 1 1/2 cups of ground coffee in a 1 gallon coffee bucket. Bring to full boil and remove from heat. Let it sit a few minutes and add a cup of cold water- nothin' better. I let mine hang over the fire all day to keep it warm and it's good all day. Add extra shells if you've got them. The calcium in the shells keeps the acidity down.
Wanders :winking:

I didn't want to say anything Redwing but now that you have, I aint havin no eggs in mine either! :nono:

Good post

rabbit03

my GOD mule skinner, these guys are going to give you the but mud (RUNS) if you try to make coffee their way..

the first rule of making coffee is; never, ever, boil coffee. it will be burned and have a foul taste. perculators burn coffee :nono: . if you have one, throw it out.

now for the best way to make coffee at home or on the camp fire. i'm sure the frontier guys knew this, it is the old and best way.

first of all, know this, coffee has the best flavor and taste when the water is no hotter than 189 degressF that temp releases the falvor and body but not the bitterness from the beans.

so in a pot, crock, bucket, pan or can i don't care which. use the same amount of water you would use at home to make coffee. bring it to a boil. when the water boils, remove from heat, wait about a minute. then add the same amount of coffe you normally use plus 25 percent. give it a little stir and let it set for about 2 minutes. then pour about 1/2 cup of cold water over the grounds to settle them, and you will have the best coffee you ever tasted.

that is the way i make coffee at home.

a french press makes great coffee. the above 'open pot method' is allmost the same method execpt the press uses a screen to seperate the grounds and the open pot uses cold water. (tap water is fine to settle the grounds.)

..ttfn..grampa..

PS.. corse grounds work best..

rabbit03 said:
I didn't want to say anything Redwing but now that you have, I aint havin no eggs in mine either! :nono:

Good post

rabbit03
HEY RABBIT...when yer butt is sittin in the cold rainy adirondacks next deer season..YOU'LL wish ya had egg in yer coffee! ummmm hungry??? :shocked2:

Now your probably right about that, n doubt.

Didn't I hear that Adirondack means 'Bark Eater'?

If so I know why :shocked2:

rabbit03

hmmmmmmmmmm, is 1/07 --- "rabbit03"... will be "ate bark" :shocked2------ 12/07 i'd boil it first,,beech is good... :hmm: RC

Chicory is the wild endive plant. Toast the root and grind it and you can make a coffee substitute. Tastes pretty bitter but if you gotta have that fix...

My mom grew up in the backwoods of WV and she said that when she was young they would burn dried corn and grind it to make coffee.

I just toss a couple handfuls of coffee sometimes drop a couple eggs in to boil along with it,Then I have hard boiled eggs for breakfast ..Dandelion root roasted in a fry pan and ground up makes great coffee sub. ...mark

Now thats the way to make coffee. I can not understand folks wanting to make coffee flavored omletts in a cup. They are the same fellows who bring Light Beer, and Quick Grits into camp. :shake:

I'm gettin used to crunchy coffee. It sticks in my teeth and I have coffee later while huntin.LOL

The reason they use chicory down south is to repel the mosquitos.After you drink enought it comes out your pores and they don't like it. You have to regulate it to your taste. I use it but only put in so much. They used it in lean times as a extender, also used wheat,corn, dandelion root.(parched). Dilly

I do not know a source for green coffee beans nowadays, but I am sure they are available in a specialty store or similar place...

I roast coffee all the time - get my beans from[url] http://www.sweetmarias.com[/url] It is real tricky to roast in a frying pan but it can be done. Too hot and it will taste burned - too cool and it won't roast all the way - tastes like roasted grain. If the pan is hot enough to pop popcorn, it will roast beans. The trick is being able to HEAR when they are done. Listen for the "first crack" ( a snapping noise after about 7-10 minutes of stiring constantly to keep them heating evenly ) After you hear the "second crack" which is very subtle, then cool them on a pan as fast as possible. Do it outside because of the smoke. Let the beans sit for at least 12 hours before grinding them for the best flavor. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
They used it in lean times as a extender

According to Mom, now eighty-two, chicory was used extensively during WWII as an extender and outside of Louisiana was universally disliked.

"If you think the 'Good Old Days" were so great, ask someone who was there."

Old Coot

I love my french press and so does all of the assistant scoutmasters that I let near my coffee at summer camp :) . Many , many moons ago I used to make what we called "swamp coffee". All you do is heat water until it almost boils, then you take an old (read well-washed) cotton shirt and put coffee grounds into it and tie it shut and put it in the hot water and stir it around a little bit. Works sorta like a tea bag, and good to the last drop. :thumbsup: All the best, now where do I find the cow? :rotf: Dave

greetings smokin,

the bag does make a good 'infuser'. (hi class word for something or other) used to use bull duram bags when they were available. but that was some years back.

howsomever, if you are on the trail and get a taste for fresh coffee, pop a few coffee beans in your mouth and chew them rascals up. other than not having the heat it will taste like the best coffee you ever had..

..ttfn.. grampa..

PS.. redwing... instant grits?? nooo one would do that. would they??

Back