• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coon grease for patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Trapper

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use coon gease for patch lube? Been fleshing a lot of coon hides and throwing the stuff away every day. Was wondering if it has any value??

Coon are somewhat related to bears, so it should be worth a try. I have been wondering about that too......................watch yer top knot............

I should think that any animal fat that produces a heavy grease will work as a bullet lube. I would divide it into small portions and keep them in the refrigerator to keep them from becoming rancid. Some animal greases, such as bear grease, are less prone to becoming rancid but others will achieve randidity rather quickly. I can guarantee you that you will not want to be using rancid grease for anything. If you are not sure if it will become rancid, or how long it takes to become rancid, you might place a small portion somewhere at room temperature and check it from time to time to see if it becomes rancid and how long it takes.

For winter use, you might want to add a bit of oil such as olive oil to your grease to keep it from becoming so hard in the cold. Just melt your grease in a double boiler and add just a bit of oil. Then remove it from the heat and stir until it thickens so the oil will say incorporated into the grease. I like to add a bit of Murphy's Oil Soap to the melted grease and then use a wire whip to whip it as it cools. This gives a creamy grease that has some cleaning porperties that will help to reduce the fouling.

Most any animal grease will work---I've used bear, coon, and am currently working on some goose grease. All work good, as long as the rendered product is oily. I've got to add a bit of beeswax to the grease/oil, to get it to have a little body for patch grease. The oil I use straight for lube after cleaning, and to oil my lock.

Rod

Well I have thrown away enough coon grease to outfit this whole forum with enough patch grease for a life time.

Rat Trapper said:
Well I have thrown away enough coon grease to outfit this whole forum with enough patch grease for a life time.

Same here. I consider coons vermin. With the price of fur almost nothing, I don't bother skinning. I kill coons for population control and toss in the woods for the buzzards.

can coon oil be made similer to bear oil? i would look at the post about rendering bear fat and give that method a try. worst case scenario is it doesnt work.

-matt

Rifleman1776 said:
Rat Trapper said:

Same here. I consider coons vermin. With the price of fur almost nothing, I don't bother skinning. I kill coons for population control and toss in the woods for the buzzards.

Coon fur sold pretty good last year and those who had good prime hides made good money. I'm expecting to do well on my pelts again this year.
I even have a good market for skunks and possum hides as well. Nothing gets thrown out in my woods until after the fur is hanging in the shed. I hear some guys have a market for the meat as well, but we can't sell them here in Wisconsin.

Adding beeswax to any BP lube mix helps slow down or prevent it turning rancid. Honey is the only food that does not spoil. There is some honey in the wax if you use the yellow stuff. This stuff is even softer than the white bees wax that is made from mostly cell caps, or more fully processed beeswax.

A Lokota friend taught me to add honey to bread mix so the bread will be mold resistant.

I have read a diary of a person in the 1700 he use bees wax and some grease.i found 3 to on mix as a general rule, can be adjusted for temperature.
3 parts Vaseline on part bees wax heat till soft and dip your patches in it ;i was hunting in very cold temperature. Want my patch lube soft in cold temperature. so i made some samples and put them in the freezer till i got one that was good in the cold.it also worked the other way for hot temp.on my flintier to water proof the frizen and on percussion to keep the cap dry.can rub it on your body also helps on chapped skin ;hope this helps Hangfire

Latest posts

Back