• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Critter in the Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to muzzleloaders hunting and this grizzled old sod represents the third critter to be taken with my muzzleloaders. He's missing his left lip. I can only imagine he lost it in a fight with some other animal.

OldRaccoonRifle.jpg

I love it I got a real problem with those bandits hope you get many more!!!!

Waidmanns Heil from Germany to this nice Racoon. Will it become a cap or some other nice furwear?

By the way tell us the feeding of your gun?

Regards

Kirrmeister

how did you get it ? was it on the ground or in a tree ? where did you shoot it ? we need a detailed story on how you got the critter lol

Yes good picture :thumbsup:
Lots of critters come to an early end due to an early wound, they have to expose them selves more trying to make a living.

Well done :hatsoff:

Britsmoothy.

To Kirrmeister, my rifle digests 40gr of 3Fg and a .350 ball wrapped in .018 pillow tick. The shot was taken from about 50 yards down stream of the critter. As for his fate, he is to become food in the form of a cranberry braise. He was an old coon, and the coat was pretty ratty, so the pelt was thrown out.
As to how I got him, he was wallowing on the rivers edge, maybe looking for some food, or just washing. He was oblivious to my presence and I was able to take a VERY well aimed shot in to his chest. The raccoon was just past the bend of the "river" in this picture.

LilBlueRiver.jpg

Hi trench,

thanks for the story. BTW a very nice peace of land where you got it. Has the creek a name?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Most pelts will look somewhat poor in shape this time of year. They don't look good until the first frost or so in fall.

You did some turkeys a favor by taking out one of their biggest predators.

The best coon pelts are taken in November or even December. As racoons are fur bearers, the season usually does not open until mid or late October, depending on the state.

PJC

That would explain why the pelt looked so ratty. Indiana has a pretty long raccoon/opossum season with no bag limit.

Back