• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crow Killer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustydean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished reading "Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver Eating Johnson", written by Raymond Thorp & Robert Bunker.
I've read alot of books about the early pioneers of the west, both fiction & non-fiction, & in my opinion, I enjoyed this one right up there with the best of them.
I've heard the name L-E Johnson quite a few times & knew he was a pretty well respected man among his peers, & just figured the monicker "Liver Eater" came from likin' venison livers or something........ boy, was I surprised!
It's a quick read at only 190 pages, and keeps you interested every page. I think anyone who enjoys this forum would like this one....... :redthumb:

I read Crow Killer some years ago. If I remember right, Johnson was never seen to eat a Crow Indian's liver. I think he once cut one out of a Crow Indian he had killed while with some friends? He rubbed the liver in his beard and acted as if he was going to eat it, but never did. If I'm remembering the book right? :hmm:

I just read the book, too. A lot of them I just pass on to someone I think might enjoy it. But not this, I'm hangin onto it. I really don't recall whether there was any mention of him doing this in the presence of others, but I think he did. On one occasion he was asked to do so with a victim or two from other tribes.

Regards, sse

Alot of the story came down from a guy by the name of Del Gue, Del was ol' L-E's trappin partner on & off for many years. The way Del made it out, was that he had witnessed it at different times, & he always begged L-E not to do it 'cause it made him gag! Like they say, that guy was sumthin'! :haha:

I've et raw moose liver, and raw caribou liver, fresh from tha "gut pile". I scared an Alaska Game Bioligist "half'ta death" what seen me do it once!! :haha: :haha:

I ain't never tryed "crow liver", but I'd bet it's 'bout tha same. :hmm:

rollingb - That would be enuff to git me a runnin and holdin my gut. Even a blind dog finds a liver once in a while!!! ::

One hale of a book, that is.

Regards, sse

SSE,.... raw liver ain't too bad, tastes tha same as cooked liver only "slicker"!! :imo:

YMHS
rollingb

I've heard thet 'bout polar bears, I ain't ever been presented with tha opportunity to eat one. :)

YMHS
rollingb

Just read the book last year and thought it was pretty good. Read the one about Joe Meek recently and enjoyed that one too. Now it's the Journals of Lewis & Clark. Love this history stuff!

I've heard thet 'bout polar bears, I ain't ever been presented with tha opportunity to eat one. :)

YMHS
rollingb

The trouble with eatin' polar bears is their mouths are bigger than ours, and they chew quicker. :p

I just posted this info on another thread, but it'll be right at home here. Pick up a 1992 copy of "Gun Digest". There's a well-researched piece in it by Doc Carlson on the life and legend of "Liver Eatin'" Johnston. In it is an account by Johnston himself about how he got his nickname, as well as a lot of other historical information.
WARNING: If you are one of the folks who enjoy the myth more than the historical facts (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that), do not read this article. Personally, I enjoy knowing the hard facts behind life's legends. I think it adds depth and perspective.

But hey...I was wrong once! :imo:

I think that theres usually some fact to most tales handed down,but it's human nature to add to,and embellish the yarn some.Take Zane Grey's tales based on the life of Lew Wetzel,It was true that some tribes called Him "the wind of death" (La vent de la mort) many of the feats that He performed didn't need to be exagerated,but then that wouldn.t be as interesting.Most of the time the truth falls in between.No matter,I find thease accounts spellbinding. :results: :redthumb:

Seems I saw some article a few months back about this. Said the Crow don't have any oral history about Johnson. If they sent 20 of their greatest warriors on his trail, you would think there would be.

If they'd a got him there would be. :winking:

Same as we don't have a song about how we had superior numbers but turned and ran outside Bladensburg in the War of 1812, though we got all sorts of songs about the Battle of New Orleans.

So much for oral history being used as documentation!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Ever heard of the term "selective memory"?

Latest posts

Back