• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curly Maple only for Muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PAmuzzleshooter said:
Where do you find Osage Orange with all them fancy grains in the wood? :rotf:

I grow 'em special like that. Sorta like those bonsai trees. :haha:

During a recent move I lost the box with my chisel hauks in it. I would pay a reasonable good price for a couple of goodsize chunks of Osage Orange to turn on the lathe, if any one has some.

Thanks
Tim

My local lumber guy wanted to know why I would want "trash wood"!!! :shake:

A friend of mine came to work one day all excited about a modern rifle he found.
It was a Sako which had been custom stocked using "Flame Maple".

A few days later he brought it in to work and I got to see it.
The builder had finished the wood without staining and I had to admit that even though it was blond it had the most incredible pattern of graining that I've ever seen.
Like Curly Maple, the pattern wasn't actually the grain of the wood but was created by various ripples of the grain but rather than creating the typical stripes it created something that looked more like waves or flames.

I can only imagine what it would have looked like if the builder had actually stained it.
Truly awesome.

Roy said:
My Grandpa Stroh used maple all the time for custom modern stocks.
I once had an old Winchester '94 in .38-55 that had been restocked in curly maple. Looked great but was stolen while I was in the Army.

Zonie said:
Due to the high costs of wood, the big companies have switched to Plastic.
I wonder, if you paid extra money for one of their new guns could you get Curly Plastic? :hmm:

Heck Zonie, just leave it in the car in July... :rotf:

Zonie said:
A friend of mine came to work one day all excited about a modern rifle he found.
It was a Sako which had been custom stocked using "Flame Maple".

A few days later he brought it in to work and I got to see it.
The builder had finished the wood without staining and I had to admit that even though it was blond it had the most incredible pattern of graining that I've ever seen.
Like Curly Maple, the pattern wasn't actually the grain of the wood but was created by various ripples of the grain but rather than creating the typical stripes it created something that looked more like waves or flames.

I can only imagine what it would have looked like if the builder had actually stained it.
Truly awesome.

And it's really hard to get a picture of.

Cherry2.jpg

Cherry1.jpg

HPIM0434.jpg

This is cherry with some flame through the cheek piece. As you turn it the light varies and it moves, shifting through yellows and oranges and even some faint green tints under good lighting. It's like a wider, more washed out and less defined tiger stripe. "Tabby Striping" :haha:

I use a lot of osage for bows, cut most of it myself. I have found that osage varies from very light and weak to hard and dense as a rock. I am always disappointed when I cut a tree and find it is the light weight stuff, not good for bows.

Back