• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys! Just saw the guy selling the CVA rifle; it's a .50! No barrel markings! Is in the original heavy brown cardboard shipping box, w/ the foam & parts inside with no glossy retail "display wrapper". The anti-corrosion paper has hardened and the shiny barrel has a few seeds inside from mousing activity! The booklets are dated 1979. I note the length of pull seems an inch or so short for most guys, but that's OK! Stock is nice light clean wood, not walnut. The anti-rust paper on the barrel needs to be removed, but I see, again, NO bbl. markings. Butt plate is nicely fit, held in place w/ one small screw awaiting final assembly. This is a great little find, was UPS'ed from MN to NJ back in the day. Thanks to anyone that posted comments about these nice little guns. The seller was happy with my offer of $100. (I've dealt w/ him on a couple occasions, and gave him an old M1904 McClellan saddle to use for swap or trade material.) Will be fun to assemble; I have most of what is needed, incl. stains, browning soln., etc. In NJ, this would be an FFL item, but here in the more free state of PA, it's good to go. Boy has the political situation changed overnight!!

Guys! Just saw the guy selling the CVA rifle; it's a .50! No barrel markings! Is in the original heavy brown cardboard shipping box, w/ the foam & parts inside with no glossy retail "display wrapper". The anti-corrosion paper has hardened and the shiny barrel has a few seeds inside from mousing activity! The booklets are dated 1979. I note the length of pull seems an inch or so short for most guys, but that's OK! Stock is nice light clean wood, not walnut. The anti-rust paper on the barrel needs to be removed, but I see, again, NO bbl. markings. Butt plate is nicely fit, held in place w/ one small screw awaiting final assembly. This is a great little find, was UPS'ed from MN to NJ back in the day. Thanks to anyone that posted comments about these nice little guns. The seller was happy with my offer of $100. (I've dealt w/ him on a couple occasions, and gave him an old M1904 McClellan saddle to use for swap or trade material.) Will be fun to assemble; I have most of what is needed, incl. stains, browning soln., etc. In NJ, this would be an FFL item, but here in the more free state of PA, it's good to go. Boy has the political situation changed overnight!!
Does the patch box have 4 screws or 2, are ramrod thimbles round or hexagon? Either way you scored a great gun!

Paid $68 for my USA .50 kit in 1977. Hecks Department store had two pallets of them. 70+ pounds of Goex later it still shoots better than me. I've never had a problem with it that was mechanical. Lots caused by the operator.

I have another USA .50 factory bought 30 years ago in case I wore the kit gun out. It has yet to be fired. I had a second USA kit in .45 that went to my elder son as soon as he was big enough to hold it.

CVA USA MR is the best bang for a buck I ever saw. I have custom rifles that cost over 30X what I paid for my kit that are not as accurate or as reliable. They sure are prettier though. ;)
you are correct they are among the best barrels out there and will stand toe to toe with any rifle out there in my case mine will hold their own with most of the custom stocks for being high figured wood

Here's more; It was initially sent to NJ from MN; could that have been Gander Mt. or some such? The original owner DID do some work on it, but what he did was razor sharp. The stock is perfectly smooth, almost ready to stain, and the fit of the lock plate mortise, the patch box mortise, and the installed fore end piece are perfectly done! The butt plate is nicely fitted, and there's almost no sanding or chiseling to do! The T.G. needs polishing, as well as the butt plate, and the bbl. is raw, almost like he did the wood-work and let it go at that point. The lock plate has of course, the cast-in decorations, but they look just as like true old 19th C. decor would have been done on a commercial gun. Many of the small holes are already drilled; this will need little to be finished up. What a neat project to fall in my lap. (It's almost like a pre-CDC Kibler kit!:)) Reading the instruction manuals, one on shooting, the other on assembly, one wonders if a lot of people in today's rushed world, would even bother to read 'em; what with a dumbing down of educationals, dropping teaching how to write, etc., the manuals are almost from another time, which they are, about 40 years! Today, there'd be a u-tube! I just have to choose to either blue or brown the barrel.

Does the patch box have 4 screws or 2, are ramrod thimbles round or hexagon? Either way you scored a great gun!
I'll get back to you; I use the library computer, and don't recall those details. Thx. I do wonder why no markings on the bbl., but it's still kind of greasy, maybe under that there's some shallow marks?? I'm not a big guy, so the short length of pull isn't a big deal, but it would be perfect for a youngster learning hunting! A "fiddy" can be pretty powerful!

Gtrubicon; The steel thimbles, attached to the steel under-lug, are round. The patch box has two screws; I like the 32" bbl. length, I've been known to cut down more that one replica muzzleloader in order to have a handier bbl. length. thx

No markings on the barrel suggests they were either draw filed off or it is a replacement barrel. If it has the CVA style breech, it might be a replacement from Deer Creek. DC bought all the parts from CVA when they went suppository style. I bought a replacement barrel from DC for the Mt. Pistol and it was unmarked.

I really like the Ohio style trigger guard and the rear sight on the MR. The tg gives you something to hold onto and is very comfortable.

No markings on the barrel suggests they were either draw filed off or it is a replacement barrel. If it has the CVA style breech, it might be a replacement from Deer Creek. DC bought all the parts from CVA when they went suppository style. I bought a replacement barrel from DC for the Mt. Pistol and it was unmarked.

I really like the Ohio style trigger guard and the rear sight on the MR. The tg gives you something to hold onto and is very comfortable.
I agree about the trigger guard; didn't know it was "Ohio style"! BTW , the Drew Carey show, which takes place in Cinccinatti, (sp.?) is funny TV watching.

My thoughts exactly.

I dunno. All the parts are in the original foam, the booklets are dated 1979, tho they could have been used into the 80's, I just tend to think this is the bbl. that came with the kit. The rifling is nice and shiny, in today's world this would be worth some real money.

I dunno. All the parts are in the original foam, the booklets are dated 1979, tho they could have been used into the 80's, I just tend to think this is the bbl. that came with the kit. The rifling is nice and shiny, in today's world this would be worth some real money.
They must have been. The two screw patchbox and round thimbles are indicators of later Spanish parts and production. It still should shoot like a house afire and you will win shooting contests with it if you do your part.

My .50 likes either 70g Goex 3f or 80g Goex 2F, 0.018 ticking, bear grease lube. The two charges shoot to the same POI, but the 3f burns cleaner and saves powder.

Have fun with it!!!

Here’s my 50. I re-worked the stock a bit and added an L&R RPL lock. It’s an incredible shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_6491.jpeg
    IMG_6491.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6490.jpeg
    IMG_6490.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Back