• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a USA made 50. I re worked the stock, installed a L&R RPL lock. It’s finished with Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and topped with multiple coats of Tru Oil.

Attachments

• IMG_6490.jpeg
    IMG_6490.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6491.jpeg
    IMG_6491.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6489.jpeg
    IMG_6489.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6488.jpeg
    IMG_6488.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6487.jpeg
    IMG_6487.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Tell us about the mountain rifle you bought, can you post some pictures?

I would like to see some pictures of CVA Mountain Rifles, I want to refinish one I just got. Thx
My old CVA kit, a .50 Mt. rifle, will need staining but I haven't decided what color or type to use. I posted here about an unfinished kit I got recently from the 1980-era period. Some excellent work had been done on it by a prior owner who never finished it up! But inletting, etc. is really nice. The smooth, clean stock will take stain like a champ, but I'm so tired of brown, brown, brown! It doesn't have to be a copy of a true old gun, I'm open to suggestions for something different. (As I mentioned, I got it in the orig. box for $100 from a pal who was given it.) They are nice quality, I'm told mine is Spanish parts, but the length-of-pull is about an inch short for average guys like me. I've refinished several guns with various finishes, so am not a 'newby' at that.

Here is a USA made 50. I re worked the stock, installed a L&R RPL lock. It’s finished with Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and topped with multiple coats of Tru Oil.
The patch box on mine looks like "white brass"; not the true yellow brass look. Just wondering what the metal is?? (Spanish, maybe). I'm told the two-screw patch box with round ramrod ferrules is Spanish.

The patch box on mine looks like "white brass"; not the true yellow brass look. Just wondering what the metal is?? (Spanish, maybe). I'm told the two-screw patch box with round ramrod ferrules is Spanish.
Should be what’s called german silver, it polishes nicely.

I picked up one last year. Lots of work. Appears to have a stuck ball. The Breech plug is twisted. So lots of work! But it is a 32 inch with all of the hardware with it..

I bought a small collection of BP rifles and this was one of them. An old USA marked .45 cal. I think it’s in good shape though it’s missing a barrel wedge. Don’t know what the stock material is probably beech or maple? It has what looks like Birds Eye in it but also is blotchy. I don’t know if I would want to refinish it. Part of me says yes and the other says no. The metal finish is what I would called browned but it’s a dark olive green to my eyes. 😳
IMG_4215.jpeg
IMG_4214.jpeg

I bought a small collection of BP rifles and this was one of them. An old USA marked .45 cal. I think it’s in good shape though it’s missing a barrel wedge. Don’t know what the stock material is probably beech or maple? It has what looks like Birds Eye in it but also is blotchy. I don’t know if I would want to refinish it. Part of me says yes and the other says no. The metal finish is what I would called browned but it’s a dark olive green to my eyes. 😳View attachment 338314View attachment 338312
Nice rifle! I’ve read that some of the early Mountain Rifle stocks were maple. I’ve seen pictures of some with gorgeous curl, looks like some curl on your foreend. Look up deer creek products, they will probably have a wedge. They have a lot of parts for these rifles.

the mountain rifle that I acquired is from the early eighties, it was made from a kit but a good job was done assembling it.The stock was finished with potassium permanganate and it has faded. I would like to stain it a dark reddish brown, I thought of using Minwax stain, but I am concerned about it appearing muddy. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

the mountain rifle that I acquired is from the early eighties, it was made from a kit but a good job was done assembling it.The stock was finished with potassium permanganate and it has faded. I would like to stain it a dark reddish brown, I thought of using Minwax stain, but I am concerned about it appearing muddy. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
You can experiment with stain in the barrel channel, it will give you an idea of how it will turn out. Plenty of room on both sides for several attempts.

I bought a small collection of BP rifles and this was one of them. An old USA marked .45 cal. I think it’s in good shape though it’s missing a barrel wedge. Don’t know what the stock material is probably beech or maple? It has what looks like Birds Eye in it but also is blotchy. I don’t know if I would want to refinish it. Part of me says yes and the other says no. The metal finish is what I would called browned but it’s a dark olive green to my eyes. 😳View attachment 338314View attachment 338312
I really like the cast-in engraving on the locks on these. It's a tasteful design looking much like something from the 19th Century. Cool little rifles, funny how something from the near past (40-50 yrs.) is 're-discovered' and valued today. Items from the Bi-Centennial are now "aged" for 50 years and have a collectability in their own right.

Well I decided to refinish the stock on the CVA I have. Who’s knows what was used in the 70’s when it was a kit. I have nothing to lose.😂
Looking like it’s maple. I purchased some aqua fortis the other day and will try it on this stock. Here are a couple of pics of the stock before I do anything to it.
IMG_4338.jpeg
IMG_4339.jpeg

The L&R lock was a piece of cake to install, minor inlet adjustment and removed a little wood for clearance of the sear. Honestly maybe 15 minutes of work for my gun. The lock performs flawlessly, it’s a major improvement over the factory lock. I highly suggest it.

The L&R lock was a piece of cake to install, minor inlet adjustment and removed a little wood for clearance of the sear. Honestly maybe 15 minutes of work for my gun. The lock performs flawlessly, it’s a major improvement over the factory lock. I highly suggest it.
Thank You , I think I am gonna try to do this.

Latest posts

Back