• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mt. Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jethro224 said:
The factory sights are hideous and will be changed out soon.

Are you sure those are the original factory sights? I`ve never seen those kind of sights on a Mountain Rifle before. They look more like the sights from a Hawken to me. My Mountain Rifle and the others I`ve seen have a silver blade up front and a traditional looking rear with a single screw to adjust for elevation. Windage would have to be adjusted by tapping either the front or rear in the dovetail. The rear sight I`m talking about is like the one on the Trapper pistols by Traditions. If you didn`t have to jump through so many hoops to put up pictures here I`d post some.

That is some nice wood you have on that rifle. I`ll bet it`s going to be a good shooter.

Wow, that is pretty wood.
I prefer to bed the triggers.
That's the only flaw with these things, they took so much wood out when the machines made the inlets and now they're all so old the wood is dryed up. That and they've many times gone through several owners, folks have a tendency to over tighten screws an squish everything. Epoxy bedding helps bring a little strength back to the wood.

Now that I think of it, I have seen the other sights on Mt. Rifles. Those look much better.
The ones on mine are bulky, blocky, modern, and just plain ugly and out of place on this rifle. No big deal. I'll change 'em.

I probably will end up bedding the triggers. First I'll shim 'em to get 'em working then go from there.

Dug around in the barrel some. So far I've got a pretty good pile of "powder" out. Guessing 80-90 grains. It ain't smokeless, not sure it's black either. :idunno: Very inconsistent granules. Crummiest looking black I ever saw. Might be Pyro P. :idunno:
Hit something else down there. Couldn't pull it. Gonna hafta try and blow it out with air.

That is nice figure in the wood. I wasn't aware that CVA delivered rifles with wood that attractive.
Hope you get that trigger going without problem.
Ron

She's a beauty! some of those Mountain Rifles could take your breath away with the factory grain pattern. Dear friend bought one from a local Houston dealer that was 100% Bird's-eye maple from stem to stern! I saw him turn down a $1,500 dollar offer...and that's when they went for just under $200 new, or $125 for the kit. I would have gotten the top box of new ones but the one on display with only moderately striped stock just didn't fit me right. They were good guns but I'm just shaped funny, I suppose...never found one that was a comfortable fit. Their stock is too straight for me, other's find them ideal...guess that just leaves me as the odd one out! :wink: *

First ml rifle I owned was a big bore .54 made from a kit. Shot better than me but got a wild hair and sold it. Did change the back sight before moving it along. I think I still have the one that came on it. If you want it let me know and I will hunt it up. Dan.

It's not just you that's shaped funny. This thing is gonna beat the snot outta my cheekbone. :surrender:

Dan, If that's the non-ugly style sight I sure would be interested if you happened to find it.

Been revisiting this thread regularly for some time Jethro, Thought your rifle mighta got lost in the mail or something! :shocked2: Been checking this thread regularly for its arrival.

Glad it arrived and like others have said....That is a GORGEOUS stock!!! :thumbsup:

Hope us get the obstruction out and she shoots real good for ya!

Best regards, Skychief.

Well, this time of year is bad for mailing stuff. First I had to mail the money order, then wait for the seller to mail the rifle. I figger he waited a few days between getting paid and shipping. It's here now tho and that's what counts.
Still waiting on another one... that one I won't go into details on, but it's been a loooonnnnggg time coming.

I got the barrel cleared. Got a weighed 95 grains of powder out, then had to blow it out with compressed air. Whatever else was down there is gone now. Launched into the bushes. :idunno:

Soon as I get a chance I will do some more fiddlin' and get the lock and triggers working together. Deer Creek has Mt. Rifle ramrods listed on their site. I might order a factory one, might just get one elsewhere. Can't beat a real live split hickory ramrod.

Glad to hear ya got the bore cleared, for an instant, I thought hope it isn't a factory plugged one. :grin:
I'm sure you have already checked the set screw between the triggers, hard to tell from the picture if it's screwed in too far or not.
Like others have said it is a superior looking rifle. :thumbsup:

That sure is a beautiful piece of wood. Now I remember it on GB. The only reason I did not bid on it was because it was a .50 and I was looking for a .54 or .58 at the time. Now I have a .54 and .58 and am kicking myself for passing on the .50 you have. Wish the wood on mine was anywhere near as nice as yours. Still have not shot either of mine yet. Got .58 round balls waiting for me to pick up at Scheel's the next time I get back to Springfield. Have everything for the .54 but deer hunting and weather and the flu have gotten in the way.

No problem. If you can't find it easy, don't sweat it. I'm sure I can find something that looks and works better than the ones I have now pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back