• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva plainesman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i was in a gun shop today they had about 5 CVA's i think one said plainsman two were all brass trigger guard single trigger. the rear were case hardened locks the all looked pretty much the same except for the brass. two had barrels 3" shorter than the other CVa's any how a few looked pretty nice. they wanted $50.00 did not think thats a bad price. so any bad to say about the CVA's yes i know its not a T/C whats the max on powder about 115 gr. ? can i shoot round ball with any accuracy think there 1:48 twist.

If memory serves me, the CVA Plainsman rifle is a .50 cal. I don't think I would go over 110 grains of powder for the maximum load. A friend had one, and I think the recommended maximum load was 110 grains. I shoot a Thompson Hawken,.50 cal. I think T/C limits the max load to 110 gr also. I have shot 110 gr several times. For myself, I thought it was a waste of powder. 90 gr would probably do what you want. For target stuff I usually drop it down to 40-70 gr max, depending ont the distances involved. As for the price of the rifle, $50.00 isn't a bad deal. If you can pull off the lock and check it out to see if it has a bridle and fly in the tumbler, the lock alone is worth the fifty bucks now days.

Try 60 grains of FFF. It's about all you need. Any $50.00 muzzleloader can be parted out on ebay for 2 to 3 times that much, if you don't like it.

leserz said:
i was in a gun shop today they had about 5 CVA's i think one said plainsman two were all brass trigger guard single trigger. the rear were case hardened locks the all looked pretty much the same except for the brass. two had barrels 3" shorter than the other CVa's any how a few looked pretty nice. they wanted $50.00 did not think thats a bad price. so any bad to say about the CVA's yes i know its not a T/C whats the max on powder about 115 gr. ? can i shoot round ball with any accuracy think there 1:48 twist.

these are the loads from the cva loading manual
table one minimum and max charges these loads are for the 1 in 48 twist guns in 50 and 54.
bernie :thumbsup:
TABLE 1
CALIBER PROJECTILE PATCH CHARGES IN GRAINS
FIREARM DUAMETER-TYPE THICKNESS/INCHES MINIMUM MAXIMUM patch
.32 RIFLE .310 ROUND BALL .015 10 FFFG 30 FFFG
.36 RIFLE .350 ROUND BALL .015 40 FFFG 60 FFFG
.45 RIFLE .440 ROUND BALL .015 50 FFG 80 FFG
.50 RIFLE .490 ROUND BALL .015 50 FFG 100 FFG
.54 RIFLE .530 ROUND BALL .015 60 FFG 120 FFG
.58 RIFLE .562 ROUND BALL .020 60 FFG 120 FFG
.58 MUSKET .570 ROUND BALL .020 60 FFG 120 FFG
.50 RIFLE .500 CONICAL NONE 50 FFG 100 FFG
.54 RIFLE .540 CONICAL NONE 60 FFG 120 FFG

Buy them all for 50.00 each, and you got an even better deal :thumbsup:

CVA's are not up to TC's quality IMHO but are good shooters and well worth that price!

I own a few CVA's and not one TC

I wouldn't be overly concerned with max powder charges so much, just try not to exceed it.

60 for target, and 80-90 for dead meat!

i had a CVA bobcat years ago. it was fun to shoot.i don't think i ever used more than 80 gr in it, i never shot it with round ball. would i need to use patches with round ball the plainsmen ? if so what size patch ball size combo?

I had a Hawkins style in 50cal it had a very accurate barrel. I cant remember the name of the rifle. I never shot over 80 grains of BP or Pyrodex RS.

If I ever run across a deal like that I will buy every gun they have and won't think twice about it.

Windwalker has posted the CVA info you will need for the Plainsman rifle. Keep it simple. Go with the .490 ball as recommended. Then just go down to your local fabric store and buy a yard or so of pillow ticking. It will be far less expensive to do that as opposed to buying precut patches. Wash the ticking to get the sizing out. I iron my ticking, it just is easier for me to cut it into strips. I roll the strips and throw a couple in my shooting bag and range box. I attach one strip of patching material to the strap of my shooting bag. When I need a patch, I just grab the material and cut of the right sized piece. Lube the patch and finish the loading process.
Just remember when you are working up your load, be consistent and make notes if you have to. Most of all have fun. :thumbsup:

Gote Rider said:
If I ever run across a deal like that I will buy every gun they have and won't think twice about it.
My thinking also! I do own 4 CVA and they all are shooters. One from the late 70's and three from when they stopped making them and went them new fangled things call in lines. Love them all.

thank you for all your help. i have not bought one of them yet. but might take a ride there tomorrow and get one. wish i could get two but one is all i can afford now. i have a guy interested in my knight inline. if he comes up with some cash soon i just might buy more.

I picked one up brand new in the box last summer. it shoots very well, but i wanted something with better sights and set triggers. i won several club shoots with it, but have since bought a t/c. PRB shoots very well with 50 gr 2f. I would grab a few at that price, paid $140 for mine.

I never load my .50 GPR more than 80 grains. I know it will handle more, however, powder aint cheap and I get plenty of accuracy and power where it is now. That is my hunting load. WHen I punch paper I frequently will drop down to 50 grains. Try it sometimes you might be surprised.

Latest posts

Back