• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dance and Brothers...safety concerns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choctaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy people,

I performed a search but couldn't find what I needed. First, I have never handled one of these revolvers but am seriously considering getting one. None of my guns are safe queens nor or they range guns. When I'm out in the sticks I'm carrying a BP revolver. I am a little hesitant about the lack of a recoil shield on the Dance. Do you guys have safety concerns with this revolver being carried in a flap holster?

Thanks.

I didn't see the reply or maybe you were being sarcastic? Anyway, I thing your revolver will be safe to carry in a flap holster.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
trent/OH said:
Choctaw said:
No, I sent a member a PM and he answered back. I think I'm going to have to get one. Thanks Don.

One? Heck, get a brace of them.

Well, I was going online to order one (yeah, just one, I'm a loser :grin: ) when I found a Pietta 1860 Army Lawman. I have been wanting one of these for a long time and jumped on it. The Dance will have to wait until after Christmas.

I've seen several thoughts about the lack of the recoil shields on revolvers like the Dance Brothers guns.

One line of thought is, without a recoil shield there is a much greater possibility of a cap flying towards the shooter if a chain fire occurs.

The other line of thinking is, without a recoil shield to hold the flames from the firing chamber against the rear of the cylinder and its nipples, there is much less possibility of a chain fire happening.

IMO, if the shooter is wearing shooting glasses like he/she should be and holding the gun with an outstretched hand, there isn't much of a possibility of getting badly hurt if a chain fire happens.

My fear was having one of the more or less exposed caps somehow being struck while the pistol was holstered :shocked2: . That would probably be a long shot (no pun intended) but I did want to ask.

I have one and it operates flawlessly. The only thing I can say about the lack of recoil shields are: it is much easier to place the caps on the nipples, with old fat fingers. And the chance of them falling off inside like colts do is much smaller since the shield isn't there they fall off quicker without that flick to the right. I have used mine alot this past summer.

For you shooters new to cap & ball pistols the "flick to the right" mentioned by Poor Private is talking about rotating the pistol to the right while your cocking it for the next shot.

Colt's early pistols had a bad habit of getting the spent percussion cap remnants lodged between the cylinder and the recoil shield.
To fix this, Colt added a circular cut into the right side face of the recoil shield. This wasn't totally successful and the pistols sometimes still jam.

To help get the cap fragments out of the area behind the cylinder while cocking the gun for the next shot, most people will flick the gun to the right while cocking it.

OK. So most of you knew that but I'm betting there are a few who didn't. :grin:

Besides the "flick", some of the old time shooters merely raised the muzzle past 45 degrees up, some times more, as they cocked the hammer for the next shot. In some of the real old B&W B-grade western you'll see this even among the cartridge Colt users. Some of the actors then had lived through the late black powder era themselves or had been instructed by someone who had used percussion revolvers every day. Just another slice of 'so what' you find here! :wink: :haha:

I have taken mine to civil war events and have asked others to compare the two styles. It's amazing how many of the supposedly knowledgable gun owners/users couldn't pick out the difference. I had to point it out to several. Sheeesh, and what a shame.

Back