• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Davy Crockett's first gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Check out the Davy Crockett's First Gun link on Caywood Guns website[url] caywoodguns.com/davy_crockett_replica.htm[/url]

Does anybody know what style of rifle this is? I'm examining my options for building a rifle. Davy Crockett's always been a personal hero type, but $12,500 is not really an option :shake:
So, I was thinking I might build one as similar as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think that rifle is a Crock, not a Crockett. Where'd a 17 year old git the kind of money necessary to buy such and ornate rifle. :nono:

Not a bad point. I guess someone would have to be able to see the provenance lists to really say one way or the other. I guess I'd still like to believe that his gun still exists.

It does still exist in Knoxville, TN. They completely disassembled it and copied every detail. Hershel House did the restoration work on the original I believe. I don't know how they know it was Crockett's rifle. It's really over priced. Check out[url] www.trackofthewolf.com[/url] for similar rifles that are lots cheaper. I dislike ornate rifles and I wouldn't have one.

$12,500 :shocked2: It better come with a liftime gunbearer, powder, ball and meals for the rest of my life! Nice gun and all,but 12,500? This is America and you have the right to be silly :blah: Pathfinder

The rectangluar rivet used on the catch of the patchbox lid was exclusivley used in the York school. Also a conversation with one of the Getz's he informed me that when the rifle was examined and disassemblied that under the butt plate was a bill for some repair work with David Crockett's name on it, This is not first hand knowledge, I was told this 11 years ago.
......George F.

Greetings All,

The David Crockett rifle as hand crafted by the Caywood Shop is indeed copied from Colonel Crockett's first rifle. The original is mentioned in the Colonel's autobiograghy.

The rifle itself is displayed today at the TENNESSEE STATE MUSEUM,and the provenance is beyond dispute.

The history of this rifle was written up in the MUZZLE BLAST October 1980 by none other than George Shumway in his column "Longrifles of Note".

The late, great John Bivins also wrote about the rifle in the MUZZLE BLAST, January 1989. The article is titled Crockett Redivivus: A Painstaking Recreation of Davy's First Rifle.

Mr. Bivins had no trouble accepting the provenance of the rifle.

Hershel House was recommended by George Shumway to do recreation and conservation on the rifle, which was done.

Houston Harrison spent hours studying and measuring the rifle while taking over 100 photograghs. As Mr. Bivins stated, "Houston set out to reconstruct rather than simply copy".

Mr. Harrison developed a detailed set of seven pages of full size detailed drawing of the rifle. These plans are available from Houston Harrison or DIXIE GUNWORKS (and probably other suppliers by now).

Hope this information will help out.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
As Mr. Bivins stated, "Houston set out to reconstruct rather than simply copy".

Not certain I understand what the difference would be. Was there some sort of wear and tear that had to be built up to original dimensions?
Appreciate the help.
Best Wishes

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
Greetings All,

The David Crockett rifle as hand crafted by the Caywood Shop is indeed copied from Colonel Crockett's first rifle. The original is mentioned in the Colonel's autobiograghy...

The rifle Caywood sells is far from "hand crafted." Their web site, and last brochure I saw, showed the stocks being turn out on a duplicator which even roughs in the carving.

An old Muzzleblast Magazine has an article on the rifle and how Caywood recreated it. It's a good article but $12500 is too much. Especially since that rifle is not one of a kind. If you buy, lets say from Mike Brooks. The weapon he makes you will be one of a kind. Sure it will have similar hardware to other guns of the era he if building for, but it is made for you. With a stock duplicator, every rifle will look the exact same. If I am spending $12500 on a rifle I want it to be ONE OF A KIND!!! Historically accurate, based on original rifle from a certain area of rifle buliders ie..Landcaster County, or Berks County.

My $.02. I know people are going to argue with me but This is what I think!!!

Marc Findlay :youcrazy: :yakyak:

I wonder if they put in their famous exterior coned touch hole? :winking:

Not blasting you ,just wanted to state that the uninformed will swallow Caywoods $12,500.00 Crocket rifle. I would expect the stock to be shaped by hand and carved by hand ,barrel would be premium grade, the hardware would have to be hand made too and nice inlays egraved by hand but as someone once said there is a sucker born every minute!

The Mountain Man said:
What ever happened to Ole Betsy?? :hatsoff:

Hey MMAn

" ... Known Crockett Rifles

His first rifle, a .48-caliber flintlock, hasn't been outside Tennessee since 1806, and now resides in the pioneer collection at the East Tennessee Historical Society Museum in Knoxville.

For much appreciated service in the Tennessee State Assembly, later Crockett's Lawrence County constituents presented him with a .40-caliber flintlock crafted by James Graham around 1822.

Calling this rifle "Old Betsy", Crockett used it to kill 125 bears between 1825 and 1834. When he departed for Texas in 1835, Davy left "Old Betsy" with his son, John Wesley. Today, it resides in the Alamo Museum collection in San Antonio.... "

From this article ...

[url] http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_1_50/ai_110470560[/url]

There are indeed two Crockett rifles on display at the Alamo in San Antonio.

If I have it correct ... one is the one listed above, and the other is the noted "Andy Thomas" Rifle in the Long Barracks. I was just looking at both last October in Bejar.

The Andy Thomas rifle, according to legend, is one that Crockett traded to the young Andy Thomas on his way to the Alamo, it being too large in weight to carry comfortably, Crockett talked Andy Thomas out of his lighter weight rifle in trade, leaving this one with him. Thomas was reluctant to part with his own gun as it was his favorite rifle gun, but was talked into the trade by his father!

Davy

Hershel told me that he did the restoration work on the Crockett gun. I learned that Crockett traded his rifle for a house so he could court and bring this one particular gal home. It worked. Said rifle remained in the same family's hands for generations until it was sold and finally donated to the East Tennessee Historical Society.

Gary said:
Hershel told me that he did the restoration work on the Crockett gun. I learned that Crockett traded his rifle for a house so he could court and bring this one particular gal home. It worked. Said rifle remained in the same family's hands for generations until it was sold and finally donated to the East Tennessee Historical Society.

It musta been a hellva thrill to handle a rifle that Davy C himself once owned and used!

I have had the pleasure of meeting several of the Crockett descendents as some of them come to the Alamo Dawn Ceremony every year in San Antonio on March 6th. Nice folks all! :hatsoff:

Davy

Couple things I didn't see mentioned here. First the research that Harrison and Bivins did on this rifle was very complete, there is little doubt that at one time this rifle did belong to Davy Crocket. Second, it wasn't a new rifle when Davy acquired it, it was several years old which does make how he acquired a rifle of this stature more understandable.

Harrison's work was done to try and bring the rifle as close to the way it was when it was new as was possible. Simply copying the existing rifle with years of neglect and repairs would have resulted in something quite different. Carving was missing where there was wear, the lock as I recall had been replaced, and there were numerous other details that two centuries had seen fit to remove. He attempted to get back into the mindset of the time and people who created this rifle and he did a very good job.

Crocket traded this rifle and a summer of his own labor for a horse before long before his end at the Alamo, so yes he did have other rifles.

Alexander L. Johnson said:
Couple things I didn't see mentioned here. First the research that Harrison and Bivins did on this rifle was very complete, there is little doubt that at one time this rifle did belong to Davy Crocket. Second, it wasn't a new rifle when Davy acquired it, it was several years old which does make how he acquired a rifle of this stature more understandable.

Harrison's work was done to try and bring the rifle as close to the way it was when it was new as was possible. Simply copying the existing rifle with years of neglect and repairs would have resulted in something quite different. Carving was missing where there was wear, the lock as I recall had been replaced, and there were numerous other details that two centuries had seen fit to remove. He attempted to get back into the mindset of the time and people who created this rifle and he did a very good job.

Crocket traded this rifle and a summer of his own labor for a horse before long before his end at the Alamo, so yes he did have other rifles.

Well we know Davy C. had at least these rifles during his life ... and most likely more ...

1) his first original .48-caliber flintlock "York Style" rifle listed above. (now located in Tennessee)

2) as well as "Old Betsy" he used to kill 125 bears between 1825 and 1834.(now located in the Alamo Chapel)

3) "Pretty Betsy" givin and inscribed to him as a gift to Crockett in 1834 by the Whigs of Philadelphia. (location Tenn)

4) The "Andy Thomas" rifle that he traded coming to Texas. (now located in the Alamo Long Barracks)

5) Two "unknown" rifles which he sold to I believe Neil, while in Texas, for use by forces in the Tex Rev .. which by the way, were NOT paid for by the Tex Govt until years after efforts of his by his daughter to recomp the payment due. (location not known)

6) "Whatever" rifle he used at the Alamo .. maybe several for that matter. (location not known)

I am sure there were others! The man was a verifiable rifle magnet! :bow:

Davy

Back