• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete,
Just focus on the front sight! You CAN'T focus on 3 things at once. It's impossible. The rear sight and the target are going to be blurry. It won't matter if you focus on that front sight and hold it right where you need it to hit the blur.

I did it when I was younger. At least it seemed like it.

I was thinking with a ghost ring i'd just be looking through it instead of trying to focus on it like open sights.

That was the plan anyway.

When I was younger I took 3 whitetails at 100 to 110 yards. Two of them passed through the lungs, and the third was a frontal shot. A big doe facing me put her head down to eat and I put the ball into the back of her neck and the ball went strait up the spine about 6 inches into it. I can not see well enough to repeat those shots, but I do plan on shooting more long range targets to see just what I can do.

Capper said:
You get 100 yd shots in your neck of the woods. :rotf:

Not so much IN the woods as THRU the woods to the field on the other side. :haha:
Some of them fields you could get a 1000 yard shots if you could shoot that far. One of my favorite spots is a gasline cut that offers shots out to 250 yards. I can't shoot that far with open sights tho.

Never thought much of peep sights myself. Tried a few shots with 'em but never saw much advantage. Maybe they just take getting used to. :idunno:

Next time you're out shooting just try concentrating on that front sight. Line it up in the blurry rear and center it on the blurry target and see if it don't work. I bet it will.

If you can keep all of your shots in a paper plate, every time, you can keep 'em in a deers vitals.(if they grow small where you live, use a smaller plate :wink: ) Whatever that distance is for you should determine how far you should shoot at deer.
The more you practice, the better you shoot. Practice farther and you'll shoot farther better.

A half inch or bigger hole thru the lungs works every time no matter how many ft/lbs you used to put it there. :thumbsup:

last year I took a doe at 150 yards, with my .58 r/b load of 85grns. of 3f. It was a complete pass through and have shot others over 100, the ball will kill no problem over 200 yards, but very few people can lob a ball accurately enough to hunt at that range. I would limit yourself to a range you can drop 5 rounds within 6"s every time (this includes judging drop). Most of my over 100 yard shots were a misjudgement in range and ended up being heart shots, this is why I aim a little high on the chest when I'm stretching those shots. Anyway I have yet to have anything but one shot kills all the way up to 150. I am also a firearms instructor and have a gun range in my back yard.

I agree with Trench. A lot of the numbers and such that are used to compare killing power with high powered rifles doesn't apply with muzzleloaders. Plenty of deer have been killed with a .22 lr bullet through the lungs.

Carldeer.jpg

Here is my friend Carl with a .50 flintlock I built for him. He killed this mule deer buck at a lasered (after the fact) 160 yards. He showed me the scene and that is accurate. His load was 80 grains of Goex 3F and a .490 ball zeroed at 100 yards. The buck came out of a gully and walked up a hill away from him. Carl thought he was a lot closer and held on the back of his skull, expecting to hit there, and shot from a kneeling position. The ball dropped about 12 inches below his aiming point and struck the deer about two inches right of the anus and penetrated 18 to 24 inches, not hitting any bone, and stopped inside the hide. The buck walked about 75 feet and laid down and bled out. So that is one answer to your question.

Capper: That is your problem. You come from CF world, and think in those terms. You are way back in the line behind many of us.

BP ballistics have absolutely NOTHING in common with CF ballistics. That is the first " lesson" you have to learn, and Accept.

This is why I am always encouraging new guys who want us to tell them which BULLET to use in their 1:60 ROT barrel, in front of some substitute powder in their flintlocks, to learn about Black Powder, order it, use it, and then do some comparison testing of penetration using a PRB at different MVs. When they see the Size of both the entry and Exit holes on any test medium, then compare penetration with their favorite CF rifle, they are surprised beyond belief.

But that is when their True Education begins about BP. Then they join our ranks, shaking our heads at the new guys who come to BP from CF rifles, with all their "Facts" learned loading Smokeless powder in cartridge rifles.

Yeah, been there, done that. Still do. But, I don't confuse that stuff with what works with BP guns. :surrender: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm more concerned about the peep sight, or i'm never going to take that long shot.

Give me a long post on that.

That is a nice buck and an interesting shot choice at 160 yds with the Deer going away from the shooter, I am rather at a loss of words on this one, glad the Deer was taken though, I would ...no I'll let it go.

Capper,
with the 70 grain load, your figures are absolutely correct. I was just using the closest figures I could find in the Lyman book to show the heavy loads that would be necessary to approach the initial 800ft/lb figure you gave.

Coming from the CF world, I understand, most of us here have been there. In my case, I still shoot the CF stuff, just prefer to hunt with the MLs due to it forcing me to actually hunt. Dont get discouraged by anyone here concerning your background. Just keep in mind that the two forms of shooting are different. With MLs and BP, your velocities are more limited, so if you need/want more power, you have to move up to a larger and heavier projectile. With CF on the other hand, you can stay with your chosen caliber (within reason)and control velocity/power with different bullet weights, different powders, etc (if you are a reloader). I have used the same .30-30 with light loads for rabbit, and then switched loads and taken deer with it. With CF, we tend to start off with a much smaller projectile (usually), and then depend on it expanding before it does the real work we require. With a ML, most times at least, we start out with a much larger projectile than the CF was after expansion, and then expand that some more.

As to the penetration issue that was brought up above, here's a little fact that many CF high power shooters have a hard time with initially. The faster you drive a given projectile, the more violently it expands upon impact, and therefore decreases penetration. Therefore, if you want to increase penetration, sometimes you need to slow the projectile down to help control (slow) the expansion. This is why a bullet that is designed for a .30-06 may sometimes overexpand and fail when fired from a .300 Win Mag, all while failing to expand if fired from a .30-30. It is also why you can expect more penetration from the same 70 gr load given above at 100 yds than if it had hit the same deer at 10 yds. It has slowed down, isn't expanding quite as quickly, and has less resistance as it passes through the deer, giving it better penetration. I am not advocating using squirrel loads for deer. I agree with you that we need to harvest our game as quickly and painlessly as possible. I am just saying that many of the things true with CF, just do not apply with MLs. We just had a member here, Micanopy , take a deer with a .32 Crockett. I have done it with .22 LR when I was much younger and dumber, and once even saw one taken with a Benjamin Sheridan .177 Pellet rifle (friend was trying to scare it away from his crops).

All this is just to say that if you as a shooter are up to the task, you do not need to be concerned with some table or graph put together by someone that is just there to try and sell you something you probably dont need. You put that ball where it needs to go, and it will get the job done.

Just go and try these things out for yourself, while being honest with yourself about your personal capabilities. I am like you, I wont take a shot I'm not completely sure of. But dont handicap yourself by thinking in modern terms because they just aren't accurate. Happy hunting and dont worry about the power so much as the accuracy.

As another thing, everyone knows that a RB is very inefficient if were speaking in terms of aerodynamics. Personally, I believe that the same exact principle that makes it so inefficient in air, is the same principle that makes it so wonderfully efficient on game. After all, we want resistance and tissue disruption in game.

Capper said:
I have a horrible time with open sights. I can see distance fine with no glasses, but I need reading glasses. So, no glasses and I see the target, but the sights are blurry. Use reading glasses and the sights look good, but the target is blurry. I always go with no glasses and do my best with seeing the sights.
Try the weakest pair of reading glasses you can find. Some of us who live with glasses 16/7 have special shooting glasses made up for shooting iron sights, pistol and/or rifle, and the main difference is that the portion of the lens we're aiming through is made +.75 - +1.5 diopter weaker than our normal distance prescription. Most of the inexpensive reading glasses I've seen start at +1.25 diopter, but sometimes you can find +1.0. The idea is to bring the focus in just enough that you can see the front sight fairly well, the target "well enough", and the rear sight is a blur that you center the front sight in. You may find you have to open the rear sight notch a fair bit - I get confused by "ghosts" if the notch is not wide enough.

Regards,
Joel

Short version. Peep sights work best when they are within 5" of your eyeball.

You look through the peep, not at it. Your eye will automatically center itself in the peep as you concentrate on the FRONT SIGHT. The longer the barrel, the clearer your focus( approaching infinity) on the front sight will give you of the target( game) beyond.

Your only decision is how you zero the peep sight: A. do you use the Top edge of the front sight to be your POA; or B. do you use the center of a front sight "bead" or some other hold as your POA. The peep sight will work well with both. You simply can't change in the field, without changing the POI. :hmm:

Thanks for the info, but I do need to make a confession. I have a lot more ML experience than I let on.
I don't talk about it, because it's with an inxxxx which can't be talked about here.

So, I can compare the different types of hunting. Traditional, inxxxx, and CF. By far the traditional is the weakest. I'm not saying it's ineffective. Far from it, but it needs to be kept in it's limits, and those limits are much more restrictive than the other two methods.

I like trying to get close. That's what appeals to me about traditional ML hunting. I have a hard time recommending longer shots on a forum. Who knows what kind of shot is going to take that advice and end up wounding an animal, because they think their limit is farther than reality.

paulvallandigham said:
Short version. Peep sights work best when they are within 5" of your eyeball.

You look through the peep, not at it. Your eye will automatically center itself in the peep as you concentrate on the FRONT SIGHT. The longer the barrel, the clearer your focus( approaching infinity) on the front sight will give you of the target( game) beyond.

Your only decision is how you zero the peep sight: A. do you use the Top edge of the front sight to be your POA; or B. do you use the center of a front sight "bead" or some other hold as your POA. The peep sight will work well with both. You simply can't change in the field, without changing the POI. :hmm:

What i'm going to try is a ghost aperture sight. Peep sights are too small. I think if I can focus on the front sight and target i'll do ok. Right now I can't help but focus on the rear sight too. I tried to light power glasses. It doesn't really work for me. I like to see the target nice and clear. Any kind of power in the glasses spoils that. I put some white paint on my front sight yesterday and focused on it and the target. It worked out really good. I think having a ghost rear sight will make it even better.

i am on several NRA shooting teams and i use both 22 caliber target rifles along with airguns. I am a certified NRA expert shooter. i've always used open sights and have gotten quite good with them. when i joined the shooting teams i found all the rifles were equipted with peep sights. now after firing thousands of rounds through peep sights i can confinetly say they are quite an advantage over open sights. they are much easier and faster to use. i cant say they are more accurate then open sights, just easier to shoot more accuratly. for target shooting a small peep is better, but for hunting a large peep hole is an absolute must. otherwise you wont get enough light through the hole to be able to see your front sight in low light conditions. as for farthest shot, i shot a milk jug at 240 yards with 3 MPH winds with my perdersoli 50 cal swivel gun. my load was 80 grains FF and a .490 round ball. i had to aim a foot and a half high and 6 inches into the wind to make the shot. would i ever shoot at a deer that far ??? not unless i had practiced a bunch at that range and was confident i would be able to make the shot.cheers SS

Capper said:
You should have 800 lbs of energy to humanly kill a deer. You don't have that at 100 yds with your load.

I'd get closer.
How many ft.lbs of energy does a 350gr. arrow,launched at 290fps and tipped with a 100gr broadhead have at 30 yards?I don't know either,but it's far less than 800ft lbs,less than 200 even...closer to 100 I'd guess(?),but it kills deer dead.I think way too much emphasis is put on ft.lb. requirements...who comes up with this stuff anyhow?A nasty hole through both lungs= dead deer.

EDIT:eek:ops,sorry,I see now the bow thing was already touched upon....I really otta read through the entire thread before shooting my mouth off sometimes,but this whole minimum ft. lbs. thing and what one 'needs" to kill deer really drives me nuts sometimes as a bowhunter.

You could probably kill a deer with a bowie knife too.

What does that have to do with a bullet?

This is the most argumentative forum i've ever been on.

Back