• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not trying to be argumentative,I'm just saying,KE doesn't kill deer,rupturing vital organs and hemmoraging does.

Dang! :shocked2: And I thought my steel bear shot that I made at 140 yards was a long shot.

luie b said:
Dang! :shocked2: And I thought my steel bear shot that I made at 140 yards was a long shot.

It was. :grin:
But, if it wasn't made of steel it would have had a hole in it.

I don't own a peep sight that I Have NOT DRILLED the original hole out larger, PETE. I remove the entire aperture from the mount to create the more open ( 1/4" diameter) "ghost sight", when I hunt. The aperture sold with most commercial peep sights( for modern CF rifles) have small holes that only seem to work well ON VERY BRIGHT DAYS with a well lit black bullseye target in contrast.( If you have good eyes, and can keep lint out of the tiny holes!)

The size of the hole you use is Not so important, provided you can SEE THROUGH it the lighting conditions you have. I see deer early in the morning, when its gray out, or there is some ground fog, or mist still present. I also seem to see them just before dark, when its getting gray out again. I NEED the largest PEEP sight hole I can get. I was fashioning a "ghost ring" sight long before such an item was being sold as something special. I used one back in 1989 on a wild boar hunt in Tennessee, and several of the shooters, and the guides, who had never seen a peep sight on a gun before, were surprised at how easy it was to see through my 1/4" diameter "sight". When I put the factory aperture back in the mount, and let them look, they instantly understood why the aperture rode in my shirt pocket during my hunt. :hmm:

Are there any issues with duplicating the alignment of the tang mounted peep and the front post being as the barrel is removed so often?In other words,will the sights still be "on" when I reassemble the gun every time assuming the wedge pin(s) are tight and there's no play/wobble to the barrel?It just seems to me that a fraction of an inch difference could translate to a clean miss downrange?

A well bedded barrel is an asset, for sure. Most peeps are either mounted on the tang, or on an extension coming off the barrel, so that if the barrel is removed, the sight goes with it.

If your barrel uses a Hooked breech, that hook should fit up solidly every time, and then the tang and barrel should be bedded together in the stock together, so that when the barrel is locked down with stock pins, or keys, it returns to the same position every time. The makers I know use Acraglas to bed these barrels, and they have great success in producing barrels, where the sights re-alight accurately everytime. My one friend actually shoots the guns after bedding, removes the barrel, then puts it back in the barrel mortise, and shoots another group to see that the barrel does return to the same position. This is all done before he returns the gun to its owner.

You might be surprised at how many guns are taken in that are poorly bedded, loose as a "goose", and in need of some major help just to get the guns to shoot adequately with the factory sights. Only after these major problems are corrected, do the smiths even begin to think about mounting a peep sight. :thumbsup:

I wonder if before we get to deep into the modern hichtech,micro-click peep sights that we are talikg about traditional ML hunting, just something to think about from down inside.

PB151157.jpg

Both Hornady Great plains at elk around 120 yards across a meadow. One shot kills, both ended up just under the skin on the far side.
.54 Cabela's Hawken, 110 grs poopodex, caplock rifle.

Back